Show us your STK500 dev station!

Go To Last Post
11 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

OK, so I'm going to start letting smoke out of all sorts of AVRs and electronics starting Jan 01.

I remembered the breadboard development kit I had from Devry back in the 80's, came with PSU built in, many of the goodies that the STK500 already has, all in a plastic briefcase kind of thing. While I don't need the briefcase sort of kit, was wondering if anyone else has made a small dev station that could be moved around, instead of a bunch of boards and other misc. stuff just sitting on a table.
Also, any tips/tricks on connecting everything up, like placing a diode on the main power connection to the STK500, etc? At least one novice would appreciate your time.

A saw a post by Gwen, however no pics.

Happy New Year

I've a bunch of boards and other misc. stuff just sitting on a table :)

Placing a diode on the main power connection to the STK500 is of no great help - the STK500 power connection can be wired either way (although the power switch only works properly if the centre pin of your power connector is -ve)

My apologies for the cross-post but if you check out:

http://tinyurl.com/ymonty

You can see a pic of my latest STK500/503 development project as well as several others.

Jeff

Jeff Dombach, JLD Systems
"We do the stuff behind the buttons!"
Your source for embedded solutions with a 100% Guarantee.
http://www.jldsystems.com
Phone 717.892.1100

Hello
This is my latest purchase complete with 2 x glcd worked out at £99 including postage to the uk.

bewtyfull just bewtyfull (bernard matthews uk turkey farmer)

Very pleased with it so far ,saves an awful amount of time breadboarding/chip pulling/modifying etc etc.

Or there's the mega128 version.

stephen :wink:
Or if your really unwell and under the doctors supervision you could get one that does pics!!!!! :shock: .

Codevisionavr & Avrstudio 4.18
Easyavr5A-Jtagicemk1

Call me Pedantic, But not after 9.

if Milk_Brilliant
else Codevision_Avrs==Better

Thanks, I was hoping to see if people were doing anything unique with the STK500's as far as carriers, etc.
Time to go to the dollar store and see if I can find a spare lunchbox or toolbox to build-in.

Thanks.

I have this thing for wooden boxes. You know the type, something like jewelery boxes but, without all of the fancy drawers. I've been thinking about going down to the Amish Furniture store and picking up a nice looking box and making a great little development package. Thats what I think about anyways, every time I see those nicely finished wooden boxes every time I go to the Amish Furniture store.

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

Am I the ONLY one using breadboards & perfboards here?

There are pointy haired bald people.
Time flies when you have a bad prescaler selected.

Hi Dagg, I doubt it. However, I'd like to be able to not have to devote an actual desk real estate for this.
I'm now thinking of just grabbing a lunch tray from work, and mounting everything to that!

daqq wrote:

I occasionally use the white proto-boards, as in Continental Specialties and 3M. I never do point-to-point wiring anymore. I figure why? If I'm going to wire something perminently, I'll just commit to a PCB layout.

And, as I have been doing SMT for the past year or so, for me, point-to-point wiring and SMT is just not a good mix as, I have to use glasses, a back-lighted magnifying glass and, a hand held magnifying glass to get components mounted. But SMT sure makes for a much smaller PCB compared to the "Thru-Hole" component version.

I've never had to produce more then two or three of anything and, as most of what I do is for my own use, SMT works just fine for me.

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

daqq wrote:

I use them all the time, plus wire-wrapping.

Quote:
I've never had to produce more then two or three of anything and, as most of what I do is for my own use, SMT works just fine for me.

SMT is a problem for me also, but I have a smd to mortalcompatible converter board.

BTW: The only thing why I don't have STK500/Dragon is because of their price and unavailability.

There are pointy haired bald people.
Time flies when you have a bad prescaler selected.