Save to use ATMega644 for new design

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi there,

I am planning to use the ATMega644 in a new design. But on the datasheet of the ATMega644 ATMEL says that the ATMega644 is not recommended for new designs. I thought of buying the ATMega644 from DigiKey as they have already stock of the 644. How is this possible?? Is it save to use the 644 at this point in time, or must I wait until ATMEL says it is save?

Greetings
Jacques

There is a lot of trouble now because the RoHS & Green craziness.

Nobody can say, which circuits are still available the next year or which circuits must die.

http://www.atmel.com/quality/acr...

If you can, cancel all projects until 2007 and pray to God, that the RoHS & Green craziness was over.

Peter

Quote:

... cancel all projects until 2007 ...

I know that it is common in Europe to take a long summer holiday, but till 2007 may be stretching it a bit here in the US. :lol:

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

There are some new Pico power AVRs in the works. The ATmega165P and ATmega169P are two examples. The older ATmega165 and ATmega169 data sheets both have the “not recommended for new designs” notice. It appears the new Pico design is slated to replace the older chips whenever these new P chips are put into supply channels.

A new data sheet for the Atmega644P has not been released, however I believe 644P support has been added to AVRstudio. ATMEL can do whatever it wants to, but there is a chance the 644 has a successor in the 644P. If this is true its too bad there is no 644P data sheet to design ahead for the product change with. However, it is likely there may be no pin function changes and only the software needs changing (if any changes are required).

As for RoHS it appears the data sheets have several errors. The 165 and 169 ordering information list parts ending with a “U” suffix designation as RoHS (note 2) which makes sense. The 644 only has “U” parts, but note 2 does not indicate they are RoHS. Assuming this is an error in the data sheet and U parts are all RoHS then the current 644 already complies and is not involved in any RoHS issues. The same thing is true for the new 165P and 169P data sheets as they are U parts with no note 2 designation.