Reviving AT90S8515 Project Using AVRStudio 4.18

Go To Last Post
30 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I like working with old stuff with antiquated devices that have long become obsolete. But I am new to Atmel AVR stuff.

I have figured out that AVRStudio 4.18 supported the AT90S8515 (I have 2 NOS of these).  I have a 2015 vintage

project from the WEB complete with hex.

My install of AVRStudio & WinAVR will rebuild this project with a matching hex file even though the compiler and makefile throw

some errors. This is odd, but I'm just learning the output of Atmel stuff.

I am using WinAVR-20100110

Take a look and tell me what the errors mean, please. ?? means I dont get this.

On loading project:

Loaded plugin STK500
  gcc plug-in: No AVR Toolchain installation found. Using WinAVR instead if installed. The AVR GCC plug-in can still be used if you set up your own build tools.
  Loaded plugin AVR GCC
??Loaded partfile: C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\AVR Tools\PartDescriptionFiles\ATtiny2313
  Debugger: Break at line clock.c:147 has been disabled.

On cleaning I get an application error for rm.exe, maybe this version is incompatible.:

??      0 [main] sh 16348 sync_with_child: child 14760(0x1F4) died before initialization with status code 0xC0000142
??  50204 [main] sh 16348 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
?? /usr/bin/sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
   rm -rf clock.o ds18b20.o rtc.o  clock.elf dep/* clock.hex clock.eep clock.lss clock.map
?? make: [clean] Error -1073741502 (ignored)
   Build succeeded with 0 Warnings...

On building:

Build started 13.9.2020 at 13:50:50
??      0 [main] sh 10452 sync_with_child: child 3404(0x1F4) died before initialization with status code 0xC0000142
??  57117 [main] sh 10452 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
   avr-gcc  -mmcu=at90s8515 -Wall -gdwarf-2 -std=gnu99            -DF_CPU=80000000UL -Os -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -MD -MP -MT clock.o -MF dep/clock.o.d  -c  ../clock.c
   ../clock.c:11:1: warning: "F_CPU" redefined
?? <command-line>: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
   avr-gcc -mmcu=at90s8515 -Wl,-Map=clock.map clock.o ds18b20.o rtc.o     -o clock.elf
   avr-objcopy -O ihex -R .eeprom -R .fuse -R .lock -R .signature  clock.elf clock.hex
   avr-objcopy -j .eeprom --set-section-flags=.eeprom="alloc,load" --change-section-lma .eeprom=0 --no-change-warnings -O ihex clock.elf clock.eep || exit 0
??      0 [main] sh 6700 sync_with_child: child 15448(0x1EC) died before initialization with status code 0xC0000142
??  15336 [main] sh 6700 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
?? make: [clock.eep] Error 128 (ignored)
   avr-objdump -h -S clock.elf > clock.lss
??      0 [main] sh 11824 sync_with_child: child 9608(0x1EC) died before initialization with status code 0xC0000142
??  76317 [main] sh 11824 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
?? make: *** [clock.lss] Error 128
Build failed with 1 errors and 2 warnings...

Am I just missing some environment var to point to something the GUI is looking for in the Makefile (like rm.exe)?

And the "showing my ignorance" question, what is the eep and lss file for? Is not everything in the hex file?

And those fork resources unavailable?

I can provide the Makefile if needed.

what is the eep and lss file for? Is not everything in the hex file?

.EEP file is for data in the EEPROM area, .hex is for code /data in the FLASH area.  The .lss file is the list file of the build output similar to all other assembler/compilers from all manufacturer.

No idea about the error codes, maybe if you post the full project someone can try and compile it and maybe come up with an answer.

By the way which O/S are you using for Studio?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

By the way which O/S are you using for Studio?

Im using MS Windows 10 R1709.

.EEP file is for data in the EEPROM area, .hex is for code /data in the FLASH area.

Im using an early 1990's Needhams EMP30 for programming old stuff. So you are saying

I have to program these chips twice? once for the FLASH area and once for the EEPROM?

I have some things to learn about these chips.

All the PIC stuff is written in one fell swoop!

I can surely post the project. It is a rework of the ubiquitous digital rotating LED clock seen everywhere now.

Was created by Cristian COPCEA. circa 2015

and once for the EEPROM?

ONLY if you have data in the EEPROM otherwise nothing to do. AS4.18 has the Auto programming window where you can do everything at one go including setting Lock bits and fuses.

I don't know how well WIN10 plays with AS4.18.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

So are you related to this?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

A lot of those errors looks like some sort of incompatibility between AS4 and Windows10, rather than AVR-specific problems.

IMNSHO, you'd be better off installing AS7 and figuring out how to build code for your 90s8515 using that (the ATmega8515 is supposed to have a compatibility mode, and old "found" code shouldn't run into features that aren't there.)  There is still an include file for 90s8515, and it looks like the compiler still supports it as well.

That way you're learning current tools, and (theoretically) only have one problem ("how do I get this program to compile") instead of a bunch of tool problems that are distant nightmares...

I have a 2015 vintage project from the WEB complete with hex.

Link?

If the OP has the hex file, why need to compile it again? If it is for the same target, then it should only be necessary to  download it. For that, you don't need AS-anything. AVRDUDE will do that just fine.

Jim

Until Black Lives Matter, we do not have "All Lives Matter"!

6CW4 wrote:

Loaded plugin AVR GCC
??Loaded partfile: C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\AVR Tools\PartDescriptionFiles\ATtiny2313

Your post title says AT90S8515, but your first error line mentions ATtiny2313.

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

Eagle eye, the lock down is doing you good. cheeky

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

I just like Nuvistors. A crazy attempt by old technology to hold out

against that newfangled transistor!

IMNSHO, you'd be better off installing AS7 and figuring out how to build code for your 90s8515 using that (the ATmega8515 is supposed to have a compatibility mode, and old "found" code shouldn't run into features that aren't there.)  There is still an include file for 90s8515, and it looks like the compiler still supports it as well.

That way you're learning current tools, and (theoretically) only have one problem ("how do I get this program to compile") instead of a bunch of tool problems that are distant nightmares...

I did start with AS7. But I could not find the AT90S8515 in the list of supported devices.

Maybe there is a way around that pulldown list I'd certainly try.

Remember I'm a PIC guy and climbing the Atmel learning curve!

Sorry, thought I posted the link.

http://blog.copcea.ro/?p=1252&un...

Last Edited: Mon. Sep 14, 2020 - 04:26 PM

Your post title says AT90S8515, but your first error line mentions ATtiny2313.

Yea, It is a AT90S8515 project. Looking in the clock.aps file with Notepad++ I see the reference "<CURRENT_PART>ATtiny2313".

Must be a setting somewhere from the original code build.

6CW4 wrote:

Sorry, thought I posted the link.

http://blog.copcea.ro/?p=1252&un...

So where in that LONG blog is a link to the actual code?

Can you simply ZIP up your project and post it here?  I'll take a crack at compiling it.

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

When I googled your error it actually brought me back to Freaks and this thread:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/...

The solution looks like that updated Msys in #3

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Can you simply ZIP up your project and post it here?  I'll take a crack at compiling it.

Yes, it is obscure in the middle of the blog.

upload QED

Attachment(s): 

AT90S8515 is still in IAR EWAVR; zero price 4KB Kickstart may be a fit for EC1204B.

VisualGDB likely has AT90S8515 though at a low price (might try its trial)

https://www.iar.com/device-search/#!?query=AT90S8515&tab=devices

Developing firmware for AVR devices with Visual Studio | VisualGDB Tutorials

Have a ZIP file instead....some of us(like me) won't touch .rar files

Jim

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user

I did start with AS7. But I could not find the AT90S8515 in the list of supported devices.

Maybe there is a way around that pulldown list I'd certainly try.

What I did was fire up AS7, then used "File/Import/Import AVR Studio 4 project"

This converted the processor to "ATmega8515", but I'm claiming that should be at least "almost OK"

It also set the compiler to WINAVR, which I don't have.   This can be fixed in the Project/Properties/Advance Panel - change the "Toolchain Flavor" to "Native."

The build was successful:

------ Rebuild All started: Project: clock, Configuration: default AVR ------
Build started.
Project "clock.cproj" (Clean target(s)):
Target "Clean" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Vs\Compiler.targets" from project "C:\Users\billw\Documents\Atmel Studio\7.0\ATMEGA8515Clock\clock.cproj" (entry point):
	Using "RunCompilerTask" task from assembly "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Extensions\Application\AvrGCC.dll".
	Task "RunCompilerTask"
		Shell Utils Path C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\shellUtils
		C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\shellUtils\make.exe clean 
		rm -rf  i2cmaster/i2cmaster.o clock.o rtc.o ds1621.o   
		rm -rf  i2cmaster/i2cmaster.d clock.d rtc.d ds1621.d   
		rm -rf "clock.elf" "clock.a" "clock.hex" "clock.lss" "clock.eep" "clock.map" "clock.srec" "clock.usersignatures"
	Done executing task "RunCompilerTask".
Done building target "Clean" in project "clock.cproj".
Done building project "clock.cproj".

Build succeeded.
------ Rebuild All started: Project: clock, Configuration: default AVR ------
Build started.
Project "clock.cproj" (default targets):
Target "PreBuildEvent" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(PreBuildEvent)'!='') was evaluated as (''!='').
Target "CoreBuild" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Vs\Compiler.targets" from project "C:\Users\billw\Documents\Atmel Studio\7.0\ATMEGA8515Clock\clock.cproj" (target "Build" depends on it):
	Task "RunCompilerTask"
		Shell Utils Path C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\shellUtils
		C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\shellUtils\make.exe all --jobs 2 --output-sync 
		Building file: ../i2cmaster/i2cmaster.S
		Invoking: AVR/GNU Assembler : 5.4.0
		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin\avr-gcc.exe" -Wa,-gdwarf2 -x assembler-with-cpp -c -mmcu=atmega8515 -B "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\Atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.4.351\gcc\dev\atmega8515" -Wall -gdwarf-2 -std=gnu99                   -DF_CPU=80000000UL -Os -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -I "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\Atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.4.351\include"  -MD -MP -MF "i2cmaster/i2cmaster.d" -MT"i2cmaster/i2cmaster.d" -MT"i2cmaster/i2cmaster.o"   -o "i2cmaster/i2cmaster.o" "../i2cmaster/i2cmaster.S" 
		Finished building: ../i2cmaster/i2cmaster.S
		Building file: .././clock.c
		Invoking: AVR/GNU C Compiler : 5.4.0
C:\Users\billw\Documents\Atmel Studio\7.0\ATMEGA8515Clock\clock.c(10,0): warning: "F_CPU" redefined
		 #define F_CPU 80000000
		 ^
<command-line>(0,0): info: this is the location of the previous definition
		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin\avr-gcc.exe"  -x c -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -DF_CPU=80000000UL  -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\Atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.4.351\include"  -Os -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -Wall -mmcu=atmega8515 -B "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\Atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.4.351\gcc\dev\atmega8515" -c -gdwarf-2 -std=gnu99 -MD -MP -MF "clock.d" -MT"clock.d" -MT"clock.o"   -o "clock.o" ".././clock.c" 
		Finished building: .././clock.c
		Building file: .././rtc.c
		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin\avr-gcc.exe"  -x c -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -DF_CPU=80000000UL  -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\Atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.4.351\include"  -Os -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -Wall -mmcu=atmega8515 -B "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\Atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.4.351\gcc\dev\atmega8515" -c -gdwarf-2 -std=gnu99 -MD -MP -MF "rtc.d" -MT"rtc.d" -MT"rtc.o"   -o "rtc.o" ".././rtc.c" 
		Finished building: .././rtc.c
		Building file: .././ds1621.c
		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin\avr-gcc.exe"  -x c -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -DF_CPU=80000000UL  -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\Atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.4.351\include"  -Os -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -Wall -mmcu=atmega8515 -B "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\Atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.4.351\gcc\dev\atmega8515" -c -gdwarf-2 -std=gnu99 -MD -MP -MF "ds1621.d" -MT"ds1621.d" -MT"ds1621.o"   -o "ds1621.o" ".././ds1621.c" 
		Finished building: .././ds1621.c
		.././ds1621.c: In function 'get_ds1621_temperature':
C:\Users\billw\Documents\Atmel Studio\7.0\ATMEGA8515Clock\ds1621.c(15,21): warning: variable 'lsb' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
		   unsigned char msb,lsb;
		                     ^
		Building target: clock.elf
		Invoking: AVR/GNU Linker : 5.4.0
		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin\avr-gcc.exe" -o clock.elf  i2cmaster/i2cmaster.o clock.o rtc.o ds1621.o   -Wl,-Map="clock.map" -Wl,--start-group  -Wl,--end-group -Wl,--gc-sections -mmcu=atmega8515 -B "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Packs\Atmel\ATmega_DFP\1.4.351\gcc\dev\atmega8515"  
		Finished building target: clock.elf
		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin\avr-objcopy.exe" -O ihex -R .eeprom -R .fuse -R .lock -R .signature -R .user_signatures  "clock.elf" "clock.hex"
		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin\avr-objcopy.exe" -j .eeprom  --set-section-flags=.eeprom=alloc,load --change-section-lma .eeprom=0  --no-change-warnings -O ihex "clock.elf" "clock.eep" || exit 0
		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin\avr-objdump.exe" -h -S "clock.elf" > "clock.lss"
		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin\avr-objcopy.exe" -O srec -R .eeprom -R .fuse -R .lock -R .signature -R .user_signatures "clock.elf" "clock.srec"
		"C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\toolchain\avr8\avr8-gnu-toolchain\bin\avr-size.exe" "clock.elf"
		   text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
		   4984	     32	     50	   5066	   13ca	clock.elf
	Done executing task "RunCompilerTask".
	Using "RunOutputFileVerifyTask" task from assembly "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Extensions\Application\AvrGCC.dll".
	Task "RunOutputFileVerifyTask"
				Program Memory Usage 	:	5012 bytes   61.2 % Full
				Data Memory Usage 		:	78 bytes   15.2 % Full
				Warning: Memory Usage estimation may not be accurate if there are sections other than .text sections in ELF file
				EEPROM Memory Usage 	:	4 bytes   0.8 % Full
	Done executing task "RunOutputFileVerifyTask".
Done building target "CoreBuild" in project "clock.cproj".
Target "PostBuildEvent" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(PostBuildEvent)' != '') was evaluated as ('' != '').
Target "Build" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Vs\Avr.common.targets" from project "C:\Users\billw\Documents\Atmel Studio\7.0\ATMEGA8515Clock\clock.cproj" (entry point):
Done building target "Build" in project "clock.cproj".
Done building project "clock.cproj".

Build succeeded.
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

CodeVisionAVR is an Atmel Studo 7 extension.

CodeVisionAVR Supported Chips

edit :

ChipBlasterAVR Supported Chips

Last Edited: Tue. Sep 15, 2020 - 11:29 AM

Have a ZIP file instead....some of us(like me) won't touch .rar files

For Jim here is zip file.

Attachment(s): 

@ Raving Lunatic @Westfw

What I did was fire up AS7, then used "File/Import/Import AVR Studio 4 project"

This converted the processor to "ATmega8515", but I'm claiming that should be at least "almost OK"

It also set the compiler to WINAVR, which I don't have.   This can be fixed in the Project/Properties/Advance Panel - change the "Toolchain Flavor" to "Native."

The build was successful:

I started on that route and got errors. I still do. Did you make edits to the code?

Severity	Code	Description	Project	File	Line
Error		'GIMSK' undeclared (first use in this function)	clock	C:\kjo\projects\Manuals & Equipment\MPJA\35490_EC1204B_Clock\MyEC1204B_AS7\Software AT90S8515\clock\clock.c	601

Not supported in ATmega8515 likely. Comment out and builds. Thanks.......

Not sure the difference between ATmega8515 and AT90S8515, but Ill do some digging.

Wish the Atmel tools supported the Microchip ICD3/4 tools.

Last Edited: Thu. Sep 17, 2020 - 02:12 AM

Your program builds fine for a mega8515.  GIMSK is now called GICR.  It even has the same address.

If your original program HEX is 100% correct for your 90S8515 just program it with that hex.   Avrdude, STK500, Codevision, ... should all be happy with 90S8515.

Personally,  I would chuck the 90S8515 and replace with a mega8515.  (if it is a DIP40 package in a socket)

If you want to develop software for the obsolete 90S8515 you will be stuck with old AS4, current Codevision, current IAR.

AS7.0 does not support 90S8515 and never will.

David.

6CW4 wrote:
Wish the Atmel tools supported the Microchip ICD3/4 tools.
Maybe quite sometime before MPLAB ICD4 adds AVR; current is MPLAB PICkit 4 and MPLAB Snap.

Device Support | MPLAB X IDE v5.40

<device Dname="ATmega809">
                           <at:interface type="updi" name="UPDI"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.medbg"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.atmelice"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.pickit4"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.jtagicemk3"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.snap"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.nedbg"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.edbgc"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.edbg"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.jtagice3plus"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.powerdebugger"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.edbg"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.stk600"/>
                  <at:tool id="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.simulator"/>
                  <at:property name="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.simulator.key" value="ATmega809"/>
                  <at:property name="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.simulator.model.win32" value="simulator/win32/libattinyxg.dll"/>
                  <at:property name="com.atmel.avrdbg.tool.simulator.model.linux64" value="simulator/linux64/libattinyxg.so"/>

copied from v1.5.362 PDSC in http://packs.download.atmel.com/#collapse-Atmel-ATmega-DFP-pdsc

DV164045 - MPLAB ICD 4 In-Circuit Debugger

MPLAB PICkit 4 In-Circuit Debugger

https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/mplab-snap?page=2#comment-2987696

AT90S8515

ATMEGA809 - 8-bit AVR Microcontrollers

Can you still get spares for model T Fords?? wink

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

js wrote:

Can you still get spares for model T Fords?? wink

I expect so.

You can walk into a tractor dealer and get spares for a Fordson Major and Massey Ferguson 135.   Probably some for a TE20 too.

But they don't have parts for current models on the shelf.   (They are delivered from an European warehouse to your local dealer by the following morning)

I'm talking about one of these not a tractor. laugh

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Total votes: 1

Last Edited: Wed. Sep 16, 2020 - 11:32 PM

WOW so Atmel/Microchip is bound to support very old chips too.........

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au