Resetting the 8515

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

All;

I'm using the 8515 to receive serial data, process it a little bit, and send it back out. I don't want the data left in the micro after it's transmitted. Can I reset the micro and get rid of the volatile data? Do I really have to? If I do, how do I reset it in C?

Paul Lorenz

admin's test signature

As far as the data in the micro is not very secret, I dont see why you should reset it. If the data is in SRAM it will be either lost when power is disconnected or overwritten when new data is entered.

I don´t know C very well, so I can´t answer that one.

Björn Almgren
Sweden

admin's test signature

You can do a hard reset by enabling the watchdog timer and making sure it times out. You can do a soft reset by jumping to address 0, which is easily done in assembler from within most C compilers. Since a C program requires that the bss section be initialized to 0, ram will be erased. Make sure that the ram used is in the bss section.
The question bears repeating: Is the erasing of data for security purposes and if so, is there a method available to make the processor reveal what is in the data?

admin's test signature

This might be too obvious, but why not just overwrite the buffer after the data is sent and no longer needed? It would only be a fetw instructions in a loop in C, even if no memset() is available.

Lee