Recommended ISP programmer for 20-pin SOIC ATTiny2313

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I'm doing a production design using the ATTiny2313 SOIC package. I'm looking for a ZIF programmer for the chip. At the moment, I'm considering using an SOIC to PDIP adapter ( http://www.logicalsys.com/painfo... ) a squid cable versus building a simple board with a 20-SOIC ZIF socket and 6-pin ISP header.

But, rather than rolling my own, does anyone know of an existing 20-SOIC ATTiny2313 to ISP compatible programming board?

Thanks!

Why don't you just ISP to your target board? [How are you going to update otherwise?] It is as simple as a row of holes or test points.

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

It's a good thought, Lee. I considered the same, however this is for a end-user product where updates won't be necessary or warranted. A set of holes are more reasonable than a set of headers and will be very easy to add to the PCB. However, I think an external programmer suits this purpose better for this fixed firmware. Thanks for your thoughts.

I just ordered the 8 pin SOID/DIP version of the adapter in the OP. It's perfect for my Tiny13 SOIC programming when plugged into my STK500. Thanks for the idea!

Quote:
this is for a end-user product where updates won't be necessary or warranted.

I would like to have 5 cents for every micro I have had to pull out of a board and update its code...all because someone didn't want to add a few pins (or test points) and maybe a couple of resistors OR because they thought the product would never need an update. NEVER say NEVER :-) .

Regards,
Steve

GregoryC wrote:
I just ordered the 8 pin SOID/DIP version of the adapter in the OP. It's perfect for my Tiny13 SOIC programming when plugged into my STK500. Thanks for the idea!
You're welcome, I hope it works out for you. I have one on order as well.

SteveN wrote:
I would like to have 5 cents for every micro I have had to pull out of a board and update its code...
That's a reasonable point. And, Lee's idea of a set of ISP holes for rescue reflashing doesn't add extra cost to the product. Thanks for sharing your experiences.