The real winner of Eurovision: 11 000 ATtiny44A

Go To Last Post
16 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi fellow freaks,

As an engineer one of the real treats in larger entertainment shows is of course all the technology. Eurovision was no exception. When we entered the arena everyone was given a Pixmob wristband. They contained 3 RGB leds and an ATtiny44A that were controlled by IR.

The control was insanely fast, the production crew could turn on/off all 11 000 wristbands in an instant. The IR transmitters were directed to different sections of the arena which allowed for sweeping effects too.

Just when the show ended they sent out an impact command. The wristband would then light up for a few seconds after being shaken.

See attachments for photos of the internals of the wristband. Video of the event: http://vimeo.com/66472988

Update: Even better video here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtO6pq6qPTU&t=4m47s&hd=1

/Bjorn

Attachment(s): 

Last Edited: Tue. May 21, 2013 - 11:07 AM

That's great,
many thanks for sharing that info.

Very clever!

- S

Very cool! (Now I really wished I had watched some of it..)

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

When I watched the show and saw all the wristbands turn on for the first time I thought "they must be remote controlled". Cool to see they had AVRs!

I tend to post off-topic replies when I've noticed some interesting detail.
Feel free to stop me.

I saw some close ups of the wristbands during the show - thought it was an intriguing idea.

Coldplay had something similar on their recent tour. Interesting to see these the first time, boring after that. The company selling these things will probably saturate the market to the point that they become passe.

Quote:

When we entered the arena everyone was given a ...

Quote:

the production crew could turn on/off all 11 000 wristbands in an instant.

Indeed, very interesting with the AVR connection.

But us old guys have been seeing similar for our lifetime...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car...

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

The nagging question is: Will all those be handed in for recycling in an orderly fashion?

Of-course not all of them, so what percentage will go into ordinary waste-bins etc?

Or were they collected at the exits after the event?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Johan: None of the wristbands were collected at the exits. Instead they were put in impact mode. The wristband would then light up for a few seconds after being shaken.

I will of course recycle mine. Eventually. Just going to attach a JTAG first... :-)

Kartman wrote:

Coldplay had something similar on their recent tour.

Mega48PA in those.

#1 This forum helps those that help themselves

#2 All grounds are not created equal

#3 How have you proved that your chip is running at xxMHz?

#4 "If you think you need floating point to solve the problem then you don't understand the problem. If you really do need floating point then you have a problem you do not understand." - Heater's ex-boss

And Disney has their "World of Color" hats. Which are a complete PITA to carry around the park with you all day before attending the show; I like the wrist-band idea much better.

Somewhere in between grueling sales-jobs and manufacturing nightmare, there is some enviably fun design work that goes into these things...

Hey, I brought two of the bracelets home from overseas, but took the batteries out so they would not flatten on the trip (since movement sensitive). Now cannot get them to operate. Has this reset them? How can I re-trigger them to operate again?
(PS I'm a non-techie, so simple explanation please!)

karenjs15 wrote:
Hey, I brought two of the bracelets home from overseas, but took the batteries out so they would not flatten on the trip (since movement sensitive). Now cannot get them to operate. Has this reset them? How can I re-trigger them to operate again?
(PS I'm a non-techie, so simple explanation please!)

Not an expert in this, but I'll throw out a couple possibilities that come to mind.

Option one: You might have given it a static shock when removing or reinserting the batteries, in which case some part of the electronics would have been damaged. This is pretty easy to do without even knowing about it.

Option two: the wristbands might store their status (such as whether they're in impact mode) in volatile memory, so removing the battery effectively resets them to right out of the box - if it didn't light up on movement when you first got it this is probably be the case. Some of the info on the company's website would seem to imply that it is not, however.

Unfortunately, if it is the case that would mean that the only way to turn it back on would be to send the IR impact command that they sent at the concert to put it into that mode, which you don't know. With enough experimenting with an IR transmitter you might stumble onto it, but the possibilities are vast and I'm guessing you don't have one of those around the house anyway if you're "a non-techie," so the short answer is it could be just about impossible to re-trigger it.

Since this is your first post here (Welcome!) I'm guessing you're here looking for a solution rather than as an electronic hobbyist, but making something like this wouldn't be entirely out-of-reach as a beginning project.

Thanks for that- exactly what i was after and easy to follow and understand. I actually studied electronic engineering years ago (35 years ago, in another life!), but am not up with AVR technology. Sounds interesting, so I'll check it out. Cheers

We use radio for controlling ours... see www.glowmotiontechnologies.com

Our bands are individually addressable, full colour RGB and contain some pretty unique features. :)

Our most recent performance at the 02 Arena in Berlin. https://vimeo.com/74260678