RA8835 and Atmega32

Go To Last Post
26 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and also in the uC world. Still I start a project with an LCD display 320x240 (RG320240A1-BIW-V manufactured by Raystar) controlled by RA8835(AP3N). I have connected an ATMEGA32 as follows: PORTC is data port(PINC0->DB0, ..., PINC7->DB7) and PORTD is control port (PIND0->A0, PIND1->WR, PIND2->RD, PIND3->CS, PIND4->RES). The display was factory set in mode 6800 but I have change it to 8080 mode. As I am beginner in uC and C programing I took some drivers and libraries for SED1335 from Internet as I found that SED1335 and RA8835 are compatible. I've spent tens of hours reading forums and documentation for this display and controller but still not working so decided to open this new topic. I know there are many others... There is nothing on display except some vertical white lines (is a negative display). I can adjust contrast but no more. I do not know if something else should be added in the connection diagram, should I use an external oscillator(xtal)?

Please somebody experienced with these displays/controllers help as I am really stuck.

I am using STK500 and AVR Studio 4.19 (AVR GCC) for programing the uC. Code is attached. On the AVR simulator seems that is working but nothing appears on display.

Please help with some ideas. Thanks in advance.

Attachment(s): 

Have you disabled JTAG ?
It lives on PORTC of a mega32.

David.

Hi David,
Thank you for your fast reply. I did now after your reply but nothing changed. My beloved vertical white lines are still there :).

Do you think that the code I attached is OK? Is there something I should try to change? As I see you are far more experienced than me.

There is something strange (not only now but also prior to disable JTAG), after I load the hex in uC I connected the 8 yellow LEDs on ports C and D and some of them are on but they are not changing(moving) like internal clock of the uC not running. The ports/pins status does not change at all like it does when I am running the simulator, this why I asked if maybe I should change to external clock.

Do you think it would be easier using another uC, except this one I have also mega8, mega16, 8535 and 8515?

Have you ever run any other program on the avr, like an led flasher? Did it run at the expected speed, or 8 times slower? This proves the edit,compile,burn,run cycle is correct. Hopefully. I have an init for a sed1330 (same as Hitachi 168230?). You need a little menu with 1)init 2)clear and 3)fill. Once you can do this, then drawing lines etc will be possible.

Imagecraft compiler user

Last Edited: Tue. Jun 14, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Hi Bobgardner,

Thanks for reply. Yes, I did few other projects before this one and everything worked fine.
In the meantime I got some results, after David advise me to disable JTAG. See the picture. There is also a kind of cursor blinking there :) so I think I am on the right way.I am still working and checking again and again the initialize sequence. Hope to get it working soon.

Attachment(s): 

Hi,
I am back with good news. I used another initialization code (see attached) and it is working now. Thank you David, I think your advise get me to the happy end.

Attachment(s): 

Do we need to apply some voltage at Vlcd pin of GLCD
controlled by RA8835.
plz reply as soon as possible.
i have attached the datasheet of my lcd

Attachment(s): 

Yes, you should connect a variable resistor : one end to GND, one end to Vee and mid to Vlcd. This variable resistor will help you to adjust the LCD contrast and most probably you will see nothing on LCD without Vlcd connected.I used a multi rotation 10k variable resistor. I read that some display boards does not have the negative source Vee included so first check if you have it, should be around -15 V. Hope you understand , I am not native in English. Good luck.

I've read again your datasheet and it says that negative voltage generator is included so you should have Vee active.

unknowingly i connected +15v to Vlcd and now i think display have got burnt. Can anything can be done as, as still i am getting -22.4 at Vlcd.
The display is just getting on by your(Vl047)code but nothing is being displayed.
i have attached the image of my lcd.
please please reply asap. :(

Attachment(s): 

Greetings VIO47!
I have the same display as you ( RG320240A1-BIW-V ) but I can't really understand the pinout..? :S
On the manual it says that pin 1 and pin 3 are the two wires, Vss and Vo, but then on the board it has an FFC socket, and it says that pins 1-14 are there? :S Plus 4 other square pins that don't have any name aside them.
I contacted Raystar but I don't think the lady that answered me really knew what my problem was... We exchanged like 6-7 emails only for her to confirm that yes, the wires are pins 1 and 3, but not informing me about what the other pins are. -_-
Could you please help me?
I have attached the pics of the board here: http://sdrv.ms/135S7uc if you want to put the numbers on the pics..?
Thank you in advance!

Of course if anyone else knows how to help me, I would appreciate it! =)

Quote:
I have attached the pics of the board here
Post the files HERE instead, no idea which file to look at or how to open the skydrive stuff.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

You just click on "download"... :)
But ok, I will post them here too if it helps you! :mrgreen:
The last 2 pictures are the only clues they gave me for the pinout! :S So according to that, there are two "Pin1"? One is the cord and the other is the "Pin1" under the FFC connector?

Quote:
So according to that, there are two "Pin1"?
I can only see one pin 1 on the connector CON1 (pin 1-20).

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Yes but on the "Outline dimension and block diagram" it gives a pinout board on the right (Pin 1 Vss, Pin 3 Vo) and then on the image on the left it has 2 wires that are those two Pins!
I don't know which pins exactly are on the 1-14 of the connector, plus The 4 remaining pins must be the 4 square ones around the connector pins, but they have no pinout discription on the board..? And Raystar assured me that those 4 pins are not used on my model. :P
I am so confused. -_-

Quote:
I am so confused
Use CON1 for the AVR connection that's all.

The other 2 pins are NOT part of CON1, they are, as marked, the B/L (back light) pins which you need to connect to power, possibly via a dropping resistor.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Ah I get it now.
So I just have to buy an FFC and not bother experimenting on the 1-14 + 4-unknown-weird-pins!
Thx a lot!

Hi shubhamgarg1994, I wasn't arrownd in the last time. Sory for answering so late. Hope you resolved your problem in the meantime. As your display looks is not ok, Vlcd should be 0V (or close) without that variable resistor conected. The display looks as you have the Vlcd too high (and it is - 22.4 V)and most probably something has burned there. I suppose you took +15 V from external power supply and this is not correct. The - 15V (negative voltage) should be used from the power supply included on the display board. Most probably your display is not ok but still try to connect the variable resistor and try to adjust Vlcd.

Hi nickvanesther, for a clean conection buy an FFC cable and another FFC conector and there are some adaptors (small circuit boards) for small SMD IC (1mm between pins) to normal IC (2.5 mm between pins) and cut half of it and built an adaptor from FFC conector to normal conector with pins at 2.5 mm. Otherwise will be very dificult to handle the FFC conector/cable.

That small board look like this: http://www.adelaida.ro/cablaj-ad...
I do not know how to insert the picture here.

Hi,
I'm new on this forum and also in the uC
world. I start a project with an LCD
display 320x240 (EGM320240A-NSW-BBW it is manufactured by sharp-electronic) controlled by RA8835. I have connected an ATMEGA32 as yours : PORTC is data port (PINC0->DB0, ..., PINC7->DB7) and PORTD is control port (PIND0->A0, PIND1->WR, PIND2- >RD, PIND3->CS, PIND4->RES). The display was factory set in mode 8080 by default but I have. As I am beginner in uC and C programing I took some drivers and libraries for SED1335 from Internet as I found that SED1335 and RA8835 are compatible. I've spent so many hours reading forums and documentation for this display and controller but still not working so decided to open this new topic. I try to adjust contrast but nothing happened. I do not know if something else should be added in the connection diagram and program. I am using AVRStudio4 (AVR GCC) and My Smart USB light usb programmer for programming the uc. Attachments are alll the documentation I using.
Please somebody experienced with these
displays/controllers help as I am really stuck.
Please help with some ideas. Thanks in
advance.

Attachment(s): 

Hi VIO47,
I start a project with an LCD
display 320x240 (EGM320240-NSW-BBW) and I used Atmega32 PORTA as data port (DB0-DB7). But there is nothing on display except vertical white lines. so please help me, I am really stuck.

Hi Selamu, 

Same as me, nothing happen.

I microcontroller is working, I send to the PC by UART, external RTC and DS18B20 temperature data. However, the LCD doesnt work. 

To be honest, people are coming to the ground for help, then when they get it rarely share the solution. 

I think, the best to forget the help, sit down, read the 40 pages pdf attached and then write your own driver. 

I will do that. If no success I gonna put the bin this LCD. 

Best Luck!  Tamás

Hi Selamu033, 

I checked the code. The code is correct, must be correct, so then I checked the hardware again. Connections are ok, but I found someting very important. 

The panel is very sensitive of the adjustment voltage (power supply for lcd). This is not the +5V. This is the -22- -23V which is generated by the module. 

Use a variable resistor (10K enough) and set it up apporximately -18volts. Then you will see that the all panel is getting to be white, then decrease the voltage and if you are luck your text will be appeared. 

So, I have spent a lot of time with modifiying the software, then the problem was silly, but serious. The text was there but I could not see because of the contrast voltage level was low. It was -12V. Now it is -18.25V and the board is working properely. 

Good luck.

Tamás

hi everybody.

I want to use this glcd module. when I connect it to micro with true schematic and use a 10K multi-turn between VEE, GND, VO (VLCD) , glcd does not responce to micro.
I copy the worked code in the first post bud glcd does not show anything just bluescreen because of the backlight voltage.
I measure voltage of the PIN #17 and #3 of the glcd, thier voltages are same and about .8 volt !!!!
I turned muti-turn many times but it does not change and still blue screen is in glcd !!!!!
Thanks