Quake 2 video playback on ATXmega128

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hopefully this isn't too off-topic... It is an AVR so I guess this is the right place... I've been working on a new wireless design. The analog porition of the radio modem is in production, but I won't be getting assembled boards for a few more days. In the mean time I have a small LCD connected to many of the interface signals that the radio module uses so that I can test that porition of the xmega digital board. I posted a video that shows some Quake 2 video / audio playback on a $12 Nokia lcd. The xmega is reading and playing back video and audio from SD flash, updating the display at 15fps while still servicing Ethernet network interface and TCP stack. Not too bad for an 8-bit MCU ;) Thought some of my fellow AVR freaks might find it kind of cool.. Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idr_546EgCg&feature=channel_page

Now you just need to add a game controller, and port the real Quake 2 into the XMEGA... :wink:

Otherwise... looks cool.

8)

What format is the video in (you mentioned PCM for audio)?

thmjpr wrote:
8)

What format is the video in (you mentioned PCM for audio)?

Mplayer was used to scale the video to 128x128 and output the frames in ppm file format. Then the image headers were stripped and the frames were converted to RGB332 format. Then a simple multiplexer was written to create a single file with raw interlaced video and audio. The file was then transferred to the flash using the onboard Ethernet and TCP stack. The firmware does the demux on the fly from the flash card.