Announcing the release PRTOS, an open-source preemptive real time operating system kernel for bare-metal applications.
PRTOS is released by Cleveland Engineering Design - the developer of the CoRTOS cooperative real time OS, also available on AVRFREAKS.
PRTOS presently supports the AVR and MSP430 architectures.
PRTOS is available on Sourceforge at https://sourceforge.net/projects...
The advantages of PRTOS are:
- It has the smallest footprint of any true preemptive system: 1.9kB for basic scheduling and task control, 5.1kB with all the features below (AVR '328 / gcc -Os);
- Only 950 lines of code implement all of the RTOS features (SLOC-L);
- The system is configurable, you include only the features you need;
- There is minimal to zero interrupt burden;
- The system is well documented with a short but comprehensive manual, well-commented source code, and a test suite demonstrating the features;
- The system is proven - it has been in use since 1982 with applications in in-vitro medical equipment, process control instrumentation and industrial machinery;
- It is released under a GPL V3 license and commercial licensing is available.
PRTOS provides the following features:
- Round-robin equal priority tasks
- Change priority
- Relinquish a round-robin turn
- Messages, priority messages
Delay & Time
- Task delays
- Periodic signals
- Run timers
- Multiple resource ownership
- Priority inversion mitigation
- Priority or FIFO queuing
ISR -> task functions
- Send signal
- Send message, send priority message
- Resume task
Edit: 10/17/18 - Correct code size, move downloads to sourceforge