I've got a few questions relating to a development board/prototype board I'm designing and was after your thoughts & opinions.
The aim is really just to build a board with the things on it that I'm interested in such that I can learn about them and stuff around with them, possibly using what I learn in future projects.
I've decided to use through hole parts as apposed to surface mount as it will be easier to assemble and also change over component values etc, if my circuits need fine tuning.
I have had experience using mega32, PCB design etc in the past, but am no expert.
These are the things I was thinking of including:
- 40 DIP AVR mega32 or mega644
- Ethernet controller ENC28J60 (SPI interface, to learn IP & TCP etc)
- Serial EEPROM via I2C (TWI)
- LCD, alphanumeric
- SD/MMC card memory (SPI)
- audio filter into ADC for audio sampling
- DAC and reconstruction filter for audio out
- possibly RS232 for backup communications
I know using all these features at the same time could be too much for the AVR but that isn't really the aim, I just want to learn each modual if that makes sense.
Preveously when making PCBs I submitted my Protel 99 files to my Uni and they did the rest, I'm thinking of using an online PCB manufacture and Gerber files.
So now to the questions:-
- Do you think there are too many moduals? should I concerntrate on just a couple?
- Also are SD/MMC cards the same? where can I get the specifications?
- Can anyone recommend a PCB manufacturer? I probably only want 2 or 3 of these boards(I've seen a thread on this topic once befor but lost it)
- I've never produced Gerber files, I know protel can but any tips?
- Can anyone recomend Gerber viewing software to check my files?
1 final question, not sure if I'm after a buffer or latch. I want to direct a bus either to the LCD or LEDs or other components. I want it so that I enable this IC and the bus signals go through to the other side, even if the signals change (ie no latch). I know some components ie LCD have their own enable but want to direct the bus to other things too. Can anyone recomend a component?
Thank you all very much for any and all feedback and reading the long post