programming Attiny828 using avrdude

Go To Last Post
17 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi...

avrdude do not have support for ATtiny828 in its avrdude.conf file. I want to include ATtiny828 support in the avrdude. For that I need to add its entry in the .conf file. I have gone through entries of other micro-controllers but could not make corresponding to ATtiny828. I want to achieve something like this

https://learn.adafruit.com/intro...   

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive...

http://captainunlikely.com/blog/...

I want to generate such kind of entries but don't know exactly what to change and to what value. I referred to datasheet but could not find all the information (eg. stk500_devcode, flash_instr, eeprom_instr, ).

can someone please help?

What version do you have? AVRDUDE 6.2?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Actually I checked documentation of latest version of avrdude 6.3 but did not get any reference to ATtiny828.

Why not request to Atmel that they amend the AVRdude.conf file to work with their new chip?  AVRdude is the most or one of the most popular tools used by Atmel AVR developers throughout the world.  Atmel should create an extension for this program's .conf file whenever they introduce a new variant of the AVR family as a part of their new-product-introduction marketing business process.

Last Edited: Thu. Jun 2, 2016 - 09:56 PM

Why not request to Atmel that they ammend the AVRdude.conf file to work with their new chip? 

I guess because it is not an Atmel program? 

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Yes you are right. They should ensure support for newer micro-controllers if avrdude is provided by atmel . But on atmel site they say avrdude as external tool which make me think that its not by atmel but an open source project . Also what i notice is that there are many other micro-controllers by atmel which are not listed in avrdude.conf file.

Last Edited: Thu. Jun 2, 2016 - 10:10 PM

if avrdude is provided by atmel

As I said above it is not.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

can somebody give ways to program this ATtiny828. maybe using avrdude or by some other software. 

ATmel has a standalone program called atprogram on their site.

Imagecraft compiler user

or by some other software. 

How about

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Did I miss it? What programmer are you using? If it's Atmel then, of course, Atmel software will support it but is this an independent device such as USBAsp?

Go on. You just add a suitable entry to avrdude.conf. Then you can program a tiny828 just like any other AVR device.

Surely that is the implied question here? How do you lift an existing tinyXXX entry from the conf and modify it for 828? Which of the various parameters there are important and which can be ignored?

Avrdude versions distributed with Arduino,  WinAvr, ... tend to be "fairly old".    And not necessarily up to date with newer AVRs.

In the past,   I am sure that I published an entry for ATtiny4313 or for ATtiny1634 when I needed to.

Likewise,  I have provided entries for AT89 devices that are programmable by my modified USBASP.

I don't have an 828.   The process is fairly simple:

1.   duplicate the entry from a similar Tiny.

2.   edit the name and Signature

3.   edit flash page size and write-page template.

4.   edit fuse and lock bit template.

I am sure that someone has already edited a suitable conf entry.    And tested it on real hardware.

If you chose a "nearly similar" chip to duplicate,   you might only need to do (1) and (2).

David.

Last Edited: Sat. Jun 4, 2016 - 01:27 PM

Avrdude versions distributed with Arduino,  WinAvr, ... tend to be "fairly old".

I checked documentation of latest version of avrdude 6.3 but did not get any reference to ATtiny828.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

Old thread, but in case anyone is searching for an answer:

The cryptic.is project uses the tiny828 for tamper detection, and supplies an avrdude config file attiny828.conf

See

https://trac.cryptech.is/browser...

--

Joost

Which version are you having?