Problem with Xplained mini 328P

Go To Last Post
11 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi,

After upgrading from AS 6.2 to AS 7.0 I’ve upgrade Xplained mini 328P firmware to version 1.0d. Everything was fine, but now when I enter device programming dialog I cannot connect to Xplained anymore. AS enumerate Xplained, so I can choose mEDBG, in Tool information I can see mEDBG with new firmware version 1.0d, but I cannot read device signature, information and so on. Any attempt to read device shows an error:

Unable to enter programming mode.

Please verify device selection, interface settings, target power, security bit, and connections to the target device. Look in the details section for more information.

In details I can see:

Timestamp:        2016-03-29 17:36:23.990

Severity:                              INFO

ComponentId:  20000

StatusCode:       0

Failed to enter programming mode. ispEnterProgMode: Error status received: Got 0xc0, expected 0x00 (Command has failed to execute on the tool)

Unable to enter programming mode. Verify device selection, interface settings, target power, security bit, and connections to the target device.

In device manager I can see mEDGB virtual COM port, but nothing else. According to AS 7.0.790 readme, now mEDGB devices should “support for mass storage mode in embedded debugger (EDBG), enabling drag and drop programming”. But I can’t see any new device. But when I’ve updated my Xplained Pro SAM D21 board, I can see new mass storage device “ATMEL EDGB USB Device” as mass storage device, so I can upload new firmware.

looks like the device is in deubgwire mode. Launch a debug session, then choose Debug->Disable debugWire and Close instead of just Stop (or, just leave it in dW mode and don't use ISP)...

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

Same here with the Xplained Mini 328PB:

Although the board gets programmed by AS when I enter Debugging mode and I am ale to debug.

Greg Muth

Portland, OR, US

Xplained/Pro/Mini Boards mostly

Make Xmega Great Again!

Morton,

That worked.  However, the only interface option available using the Device Programming Tool is ISP.  So, I guess we should let AS do the programming rather than using the programming tool.

Greg Muth

Portland, OR, US

Xplained/Pro/Mini Boards mostly

Make Xmega Great Again!

How often do you need the programming dialog (or, how often do you tweak fuses or lockbits?) There's no need to open the programming dialog to program whatever you are writing, just launch debug or launch without debug (aka program). 

See One click programming

(yes, I work for Microchip, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Microchip’s positions, strategies, or opinions.

Thanks meolsen. Your solution work fine. I forgot about this “issue” of Xplained mini :)

But what about my second question – regarding support for mass storage mode in embedded debugger (EDBG), enabling drag and drop programming. Is this mode only for Xplained pro with ARM MCU, or does it work with xplained mini too? Now I can communicate with Xplained in AS, but still it is not visible in Windows as mass storage device for firmware uploading.

Mass storage mode is only available on select edbg kits(the cortex m0+ kits)

It’s a pity. Main reason I’ve upgraded AS 6.2 to 7.0 was support for mass storage in Xplained. So you should modify Atmel Studio 7 readme file, because the statement “support for mass storage mode in embedded debugger (EDBG), enabling drag and drop programming” in AS 7 features suggests that all devices with EDGB supports it.

Thanks for explanation and your help.

Be realistic. The XMINI uses a small ATmega32U4 chip to implement the mEDBG.
I am amazed that they get it to fit inside such a limited chip.
Even more of a mystery. Why use a m32u4 when Atmel has got plenty of UC32 chips that would work?
mEDBG is slower than a Dragon. A real EDBG chip would work at full speed like the ATMEL-ICE.
Hey-ho, the XMINIs are still pretty impressive.

Then you're misreading. Atmel Studio added support for the firmware that provides this support (support for mode switching etc). The EDBG user guide would indicate which devices is supported for the MSD mode.

(But, impressed that someone actually read the release notes :) )

Last Edited: Wed. Mar 30, 2016 - 07:23 AM

Hello,

who i can download version 1.0d for my disk. On my chip is 1.0d, but in Atmel Studio is this Board as "unknown" mark. i am hier at my Notebook und i cant see download this new version. Nokebokk version is 1.0.0. On my desktop system i have the Version 1.0d, now i am not near my desktop and need 1.0d. help me pleace ;-)

Dear

Oliver