Problem blinking LEDs on STK500 (ATMEGA16)

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi all!

I've dug out my old (2006) STK500 to program an ATMEGA16 microcontroller. The STK500 is configured with "default" jumper settings: all "2-pin" headers are closed (VTARGET, AREF, RESET, XTAL1, and OSCSEL is off to the right side). BSEL2 and PJUMP are all open. I have not got an external crystal plugged in. 

At first, I couldn't get Atmel Studio 7 to communicate properly with the STK; I got error messages of the kind "Got 0xc0 expected 0x00"... However, I tried unplugging the 10-pin headers (PORTB-LEDS and PORTD-SWITCHES) and then the STK could do its thing! I was able to read and verify the signature on the ATMEGA16. Is this expected behavior, that the STK can't read/write the uc if the ports are connected to anything?

Anyway, next I found a nice tutorial on GCC programming, using this precise uc as example: https://ita.ovh/files/atmelstudi...

// File: led.c
// Description: Simple C program for the ATMEL AVR uC (ATmega16 chip)
// This program lets the user turn on LEDs by pressing the switches on STK500 board
#include <avr/io.h> // avr header file for IO ports
int main(void){
	unsigned char i; // temporary variable
	DDRA = 0x00; // set PORTA for input
	DDRB = 0xFF; // set PORTB for output
	PORTB = 0x00; // turn ON all LEDs initially

while(1){
		// Read input from PORTA.
		// This port will be connected to the 8 switches
		i = PINA;

// Send output to PORTB.
		// This port will be connected to the 8 LEDs
		PORTB = i;
	}
	return 1;
}

The next confusion is with the behavior of the example "led.c" program, running on/in the STK. The program configures PORTA for input and PORTB for output, so I hook up PORTA-SWITCHES and PORTB-LEDS (after programming and powering down the STK). Funny thing is that the LEDs on the STK are all "dimly" lit, and when I press a switch -- e.g. SW4 -- then LED3 (not LED4!) goes bright for as long as I keep the switch pressed. Several strange things here: 

1. Why won't the LEDs ever switch entirely off?
  2. Why does pressing switch i result in LED i-1 being turned on?
  3. Changing the code to keep all LEDs off still won't turn off the LEDs:     PORTB = 0b11111111;       // turn LED off
  4. Changing the code to offset input by one bit, allows switch i to turn on LED i:      PORTB = i >> 1;  // doesn't work for SW7

Any clues or tips are greatly appreciated! For instance, maybe the LEDs on the STK are supposed to be dim when off?

Joakim

Last Edited: Fri. Nov 9, 2018 - 09:06 PM

Inverted logic (so it works at both 3.3 and 5V)

But that only explains why 0 turns the LEDs on, and 1 off, and not vice versa. That part is sort of the only thing I'm not finding confusing.

Notice I tried writing an all-1 byte to PORTB. That should turn all LEDs off, wouldn't you agree? Doesn't happen, at least not on my stk...

Figured out the problem, the ATMEGA16 was actually sitting in the wrong red socket (the STK500 has two) ;-)

The ISP programming still worked, though, so it was not obvious that I had placed it wrong.

Anyway, all is working now.