Problem with AS7 + ATEL ICE + Arduino NANO (328P)

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hey there,

I just got my brand new ATMEL ICE... I installed Atmel Studio 7 on my Win10 VM (Virtualbox). ICE was attached during install, so drivers seem to be there. I also got the message, that the firmware can now be updated, which I did.

So, here's the current scenario:

I imported a very simple sketch (blink sketch) form Arduino IDE to Atmel Studio. This works great so far. Building the project works without any visible error.

But if I open "Tools -> Device Programming", I'm lost... There's only one thing working: Reading target voltage.

Attached to the ICE is an Arduino NANO (ATmega328P, 5V/16Mhz), which is powered with a 5V source. The ATMEL ICE is connected with the 6-pin connector to the ICSP port of the Arduino Board.

The ICE has two leds active:

The left one which light green, (--> switches to "off" if I remove the power source from arduino) and the center one which lights red as long as the ICE is connected to the PC.

If I click on "Device signature Read" button, I get the following error message:

I read that the ISP clock might be the problem. So I tried different values down to 8Khz and up to 4Mhz ... No change. still the same error.

The Arduino NANO itself works fine. The blink-sketch (which has been programmed with the Arduino IDE upfront) is working fine: The onboard-LED is blinking as expected. 

Writing a new Arduino Bootloader with ArduinoIDE + USBTinyISP works as well.

But as soon as I use the ATMEL ICE + AS7 + NANO, the only thing that works is reading the target voltage.

I tried exactly the same with an Arduino Leonardo (ATmega32u4, 5V/16Mhz). This works quite well. Reading device signature works. But with the NANO/328P it isn't working.

So, is there anybody out there who can give me a hint on what the problem is?!

best regards,

Alex

This topic has a solution.
Last Edited: Fri. May 6, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Yes, the Nano has a perfectly good bootloader.
It also has an inappropriately strong 1k0 pull-up on the Reset line.
Most Atmel programmers will think you have mis-wired.
Change 1k0 to 10k and you will be fine with ISP.
Cut the track to the DTR Capacitor and you will be fine with debugWIRE.

Thanks for the hint. I will check this.

br,

Alex

I cut the connection between 328P pin 29 and the 1k resistor to 5V (resistor is part of an resistor-array). Then I soldered a 10k resistor between RESET and +5V.

I also cut the connection between 328P pin 29 and the DTR capacitor.

Check both changes with multimeter: 9.94k ohms and no connection to capacitor. Looks fine to me.

Check in AS7 if reading device sigbnature is now possible. Result: :-( No, still not possible. 

Last Edited: Fri. May 6, 2016 - 10:52 AM
This reply has been marked as the solution. 

Issue solved...

*shameOnMe*

The ICSP pin header is, compared to Arduino Leonardo, 180° rotated.. So I plugged the ICE with wrong direction to the NANO... 

Now reading device signature works.