Populating Dataflash on Xmega128-A1-Xplained board

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

The new Xplained board is unpopulated, but has pads for AT45DB or AT25DF chips.

As far as I can see AT45DB chips are only in leadless packages. The AT25DF come in SOIC-8.

There does not appear to be a 64Mbit AT25DF chip.
Can anyone advise on a suitable chip?

RS have: these 64MB chips
Microchip SST25VF064C-80-4I-SCE
Micron N25Q064A11ESE40F

Any advice?

As far as I can see, these chips all have similar commands. Just needs different command byte values to AT45DB commands.

David.

David,

If you take the AT45DB642D-CNU that will fit onto an SOIC8 footprint. If you first put some tin n the footprint and then solder the chip it should work fine.
I did that in the past for a demonstrator board where we first only needed the 4Mbit version, but in the end used the 64mbit version.

reagrds

I have not bought the chip(s) yet.

Thanks for the tip. It must be easier to solder to the SOIC-8 footprint than the AT45 horrible footprint.
OTOH the AT45 pinout is different to 25xxxx pinout.

Is there any advantage in using the AT45 than the Microchip or Micron parts?
The AT25 is completely unavailable. And it uses different commands like the Microchip does.

David.

I have ordered the Micron part. (and some 32Mbit DIP8 AMIC parts)

Hi David, I just wanted to find out, did you manage to use the micron dataflash? I would like to use this chip for a project of mine, but I am not so sure about the different commands and command codes. as compared to the atmel AT45DB642D dataflash. Please let me know if you were successfull with the micron dataflash.

Yes, I installed the 25Q064 SOIC-8 part.

It obeys the same command set as any regular 25Cxxx SPI chips. It also has extra commands, and of course DUAL and QUAD interface.

No, I have never got around to serious investigation. The Xmega will only do regular SPI anyway.

The AT45 parts are brilliant in their two-buffer approach. As far as I can see, you only have a single page buffer in the 25Cxxx or 25Qxxx parts.

One day, I will implement FATfs on it.

David.

Thanks David.

I am currently using the LUFA framework. You said the micro chip obeys the same command set. does this mean that in the AT45DB642D.h file, I should change the command values to suite and match the micron dataflash chip? How did you make use of the 25Q064 chip?
Reason why I want to use micron is that I need a bigger memory space and micron has a 64MB chip, the "N25Q512A" I would really like to have the extra memory.
The chip will be used as a small mass storage device medium.

As I said earlier, the 25Qxxx chips obey the standard 25Cxxx command set. e.g. READ, WREN, WRDI, PP, WRSR, RDSR plus loads of extensions.

The AT45 has two buffers.

I would guess that someone somewhere has used 25Cxxx chips for FATfs. Ask Aunty Google.
Likewise AT45 Dataflash chips.

It should be pretty straightforward.
I have not got around to it yet.

From a cost perspective, MicroSD + socket is going to be cheaper than discrete chips. You would need a lot of 64MB chips to match a 32GB MicroSD. OTOH, permanent chips should be more robust in an embedded environment.

David.