Pascal Stang's FAT16/32 source code - DevDisk_t unknown

Go To Last Post
10 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Anyone used Pascal Stang's FAT16/32 source code?
In it, this type appears
DevDisk_t

but a half hour of searching in the microSD card and ATA disk sources, I cannot find that definition.

Is this a good choice in a portable FAT15/32 for both AVRs and ARM? I see also chanfs:
http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00ind...

Quote:

Anyone used Pascal Stang's FAT16/32 source code?
In it, this type appears
DevDisk_t

I searched through the complete sources of Pascal Stang's lib and found no "DevDisk_t" at all. Could you be specific about where you see it? File and line number? Link to where you downloaded the lib from?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Quote:

I see also chanfs:

To be honest I don't know why anyone would bother with Stang or Reigel code for FAT access when the most excellent FatFs exists. You could waste a lot of time chasing bugs or missing documentation with the others whereas FatFs just works - straight out of the box. What's more it's so widely used that there's tons of support available for it (including some excellent threads in Tutorial Forum)

EDIT: Just checked my clean copy of Stang's avrlib:

D:\avrlib>grep -r -i devdisk *

D:\avrlib>

So no mention of anything called DevDisk there? Where did you see this reference?

Cliff! A Google reveals that the DevDisk_t actually exists ... in Procyon ARMlib. I'd wager that the OP has mixed files from Procyon AVRlib and Procyon ARMlib.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

JohanEkdahl wrote:
Cliff! A Google reveals that the DevDisk_t actually exists ... in Procyon ARMlib. I'd wager that the OP has mixed files from Procyon AVRlib and Procyon ARMlib.
Yes, I'm trying to choose a source code base for FAT32 that can port to AVR w/GCC and ARM w/IAR. Don't need anything but file open/read/write/close. Optionally file create. For SPI on microSD.

In the ARM stuff, I cannot find where that DevDisk_t is defined, nor why it is different for AVR.

I am also looking at chanfs or whatever its name is.

Quote:

I am also looking at chanfs or whatever its name is.

I needed to build SD/MMC card into a controller app, and the controller is to be sold.

Chan has no license restrictions. The others do.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Quote:

nor why it is different for AVR

Because of four or five years difference? (IIRC from what I found this morning AVRlib is 2001 and ARMlib is 2005.)

Quote:

I cannot find where that DevDisk_t is defined

Nor can I. But fat.c has this in its header
Quote:
// NOTE: This code is currently below version 1.0, and therefore is considered
// to be lacking in some functionality or documentation, or may not be fully
// tested. Nonetheless, you can expect most functions to work.

well, I'll spend more time reading about/fiddling with

It seemed kind of bloated at first glance, given I just want to append an SD card to an already large project code base.

Quote:

It seemed kind of bloated

Then follow his link to "petitFS" - I think it unlikely you'll find a smaller resource FAT lib.

Ah, thanks!