O/T- 2600 Farad supercap for $15, must.buy.but.why?

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I see electronics goldmine has a super sale on a 2600 Farad 2.5v supercap, at $15.00.

For some reason, I feel this is a super deal, and though I don't have anything to use it for ATM the compulsion to buy is strong.
Is this the killer deal I think it is, or leading edge of some manf. process change that is going to see cap prices drop drastically?

For a supercap of that size and voltage, yes it is a smoking deal. Take a look at supercap / ultracap prices on digikey and you'll get a good idea of what the prices are.

If you decide to buy one and play with it, be very careful not to exceed the 2.5V rating. Supercaps can be damaged or killed very quickly by exceeding their voltage by only a small amount.

As for what to do with it? Well, at that size it makes a good battery (although its self-discharge current is likely higher than a typical battery). Maybe charge it up with a solar cell then use that energy to power a little AVR project or something.

Here they are:
http://www.maxwell.com/ultracapa...

I could only find a price for the 3000F type, and they were $90+, which also sounds really low to me. Seems like a super deal.
[edit]Elec Goldmine is selling the 3000F ones for $30/ea.

I've heard of counterfeit large value capacitors - when the case is opened there is an ordinary cheap capacitor soldered across the terminals.

Leon Heller G1HSM

As it states they are "recycled caps", which new would cost over $80, so if you feel you want/need/use it, go for it.

Charles Darwin, Lord Kelvin & Murphy are always lurking about!
Lee -.-
Riddle me this...How did the serpent move around before the fall?