OLED display and driver package - 128 * 64

Go To Last Post
15 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I'm out of touch with current display technology - can anyone recommend a 128 * 64 display module, about a couple of inches across? And ideally not costing twenty quid...

Ebay's full of 0.96" displays for a few quid, but I'm not seeing many larger - and I need something larger. I'm not really fussed about the driving mechanism, but given a choice I'd prefer SPI to I2C and 8-bit parallel to SPI.

Thanks,

Neil

I was looking at these on AliExpress only a while ago. I found that buying the LCD as an individual component was quite expensive even for AliExpress (between £12 and £18 or so) but if I bought one as part of an Arduino Module it was a fair bit cheaper.

NB: The majority were supplied with touch controller. Perhaps that's where some of the cost went.

I've found a few on the bay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.htm...

They're not too horrendously expensive, but still not cheap... anyone used any of them? The ssd1309 seems a common driver.

Neil

First determine whether power consumption is important.

The tiny 0.96 inch SSD1306 don't use much current.

The bigger 2.42 inch SSD1309 use more.

You can turn the display off when not needed.

OLEDs will have noticeable screen burn if you display the same image continuously.

But you can do much the same with a GLCD or TFT.  i.e. sleep the controller,  switch off any backlight.

Transreflective do not need a backlight.   Backlight LEDs vary greatly in current.

GLCD and TFT tend to be cheaper than "big 2.42 inch" OLEDs.

Colour TFTs can be driven with a small MCU like mega328P.   Monochrome OLEDs require SRAM for buffers if you want graphics.

No problem for 128x64 but anything bigger or grayscale demands more SRAM.   Colour TFTs need no SRAM buffers.

David.

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

This was something I was going to pull the trigger on but never got round to it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32538935176.html (3.5 inch TFT LCD screen module Ultra HD 320X480 for Arduino + MEGA 2560 R3 Board)

barnacle wrote:

I'm out of touch with current display technology - can anyone recommend a 128 * 64 display module, about a couple of inches across? And ideally not costing twenty quid...

Ebay's full of 0.96" displays for a few quid, but I'm not seeing many larger - and I need something larger. I'm not really fussed about the driving mechanism, but given a choice I'd prefer SPI to I2C and 8-bit parallel to SPI.

This gets close ? 

https://www.waveshare.com/product/displays/lcd-oled/lcd-oled-3/2.23inch-oled-hat.htm

but it's 128 * 32 

This one manages 128x64, but a smaller display area 

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3531

Last Edited: Fri. Sep 11, 2020 - 11:56 PM

Thanks for the ideas folks. The newhaven 2.7" part may fit in the space I have available; otherwise I think the 2.4" parts are the ones to go for. The 0.9" and 1.3" are too small.

I'm updating an in-car engine monitoring display, so:

• needs to be on whenever the engine is on
  • needs to be high contrast - the current LCD options are a bit tricky to see in some lights or with polarised sun-glasses
  • needs to fit in the same space as the original unit - which restricts the maximum size
  • needs to be visible at a glance - which restricts the minimum size
  • ideally keeps the same 128 * 64 dot matrix so I can use an 8 by 16 character cell (= 16 by 4 characters, but I need graphics as well)
  • power consumption isn't an issue

Do these modules run off a single 3.3v/5v data rail? The SSD datasheets I've looked at seem to imply there's a seven volt supply floating around somewhere but I haven't read deeply enough to discover whether that's usually locally generated... data sheets for the modules on the bay have not been forthcoming.

Neil

p.s. life would be easier if I could locate the latest version of the software for the current version... somewhere in the last ten years the change from linux-with-occasional-forays-into-windows to linux-only has hidden some code. I suspect it may have ended up on a VM that I no longer have... meh. I have the difficult stuff - talking to the engines - and the hardware designs (though I'll have to find an Eagle again) but not the graphics drivers. Oh well...

Why not something like 70mmx40mm...it claims it is graphics type (have to double check, since graphics type include chars, so listings get hacked up)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-1286...

This is larger than some displays (still small 40mmx25mm view  1.89 inch diag)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Ne...

A bunch of these are listed (at lower cost), but this pic gives a better feel for the size, rather than an "LCD only" photo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12864-1...

These 2.6 inch listed as yellow, blue, maybe other colors too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-6-Blu...

When in the dark remember-the future looks brighter than ever.   I look forward to being able to predict the future!

Last Edited: Sat. Sep 12, 2020 - 06:36 AM

Since you are in a car,   current consumption is unimportant.

I suggest that you just try GLCD, OLED, TFT in your car for visibility.    Don't worry about size or readability.

I would guess that transmissive GLCD or TFT will be crap in sunlight.  e.g. white text on blue background.

But a regular transreflective LCD will be fine.   e.g. a digital watch,  16x2 with black text on yellow-green background.

Backlight is only necessary at night i.e. like your current dashboard.

I am sure that you have an Arduino,  16x2 Character LCD(s),  0.96 inch OLED to establish the visibility.

Then you buy the appropriate display technology with size to fit (e.g. readability)

We can help with driver software.   We can't do anything for your eyesight.

David.

Last Edited: Sat. Sep 12, 2020 - 07:44 AM

Plenty to think about there thanks. N.Winterbottom's Arduino + colour TFT is a possibility to investigate, too... I think I'll need to order a handful of displays and start playing. It'll give me something to do in Germany, when I'm not looking for houses...

At least the code has turned up: /home/barnacle/Documents/WinAVR-20081205/Projects/widget324... well buried. Now I just need to find out how to compile that on current Linux. Copied across from a Windows installation, so I have the full WinAVR stuff, just no OS to run it.

Neil

How dynamic is the data being displayed? Reason I ask is that there are a number of small eInk/ePaper displays that are very high contrast and visible in a lot of conditions, some are even tricolour for a splash of highlighting colour but they don't lend themselves to fast moving / changing data.
BTW I've been shopping for displays recently and one point that becomes quickly clear is that if you want cheap then ebay/banngood/aliexpress are the place to go but you could wait a month to get it. Places like pimoroni, cool components, the pi hut, hobbytronics have a lot of the same stuff with fast delivery but generally 150% of the Chinese prices.
I actually ordered a lot of stuff from Amazon because I have a prime subscription so get free next day delivery but a lot of the time it's just a front for those UK companies anyway.

david.prentice wrote:
Since you are in a car,   current consumption is unimportant.
Is important for hybrid automobiles (engine start-stop) as these size electricity generation and storage to fit volume and weight limits.

david.prentice wrote:
Backlight is only necessary at night ...
Sometimes enough backlight can make a LCD sunlight-readable.

david.prentice wrote:
... i.e. like your current dashboard.
A sunshade might be enough.

Nickel-Zinc Monobloc Batteries — ZincFive

INFO ~ Sunlight Readable

Overview

• Superbright LED backlight over 800 cd/m²

due to 2.8" uniTFT Display Module - EA | Mouser and a video in uniTFT 2.0" TFT Display - EA | Mouser

PIC24 :

ezLCD-302 - 2.7" Sunlight Readable, Smart LCD – EarthLCD.com

PIC24 with EPMP can drive LCD.

edit :

https://www.microchip.com/sitesearch/search/Product%20and%20Development%20Tools/PIC24FJ256DA210

"Dare to be naïve." - Buckminster Fuller

Last Edited: Sat. Sep 12, 2020 - 11:57 AM

It's for an internal combustion engined car, so power isn't an issue, but it needs to be visible night and day. The current version is some flavour of LCD with an LED backlight (actually from the side) and while they're all the same brightness, there is a call for an adjustment for that as some find it too bright and some not bright enough.

I think an e-ink display is not suitable in this instance. Think how fast the rev counter moves on your Porsche, Cliff - it needs to display the same sort of response speed.

Neil

Agree, rev counter is too dynamic for eTech