NRF2401 sensitivity to VCC > 3.6V?

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Is there a way to write something into a reg on the NRF and read it back just to see if the spi works? Its just way too easy to plug the thing into the 5V hole on the uno rather than the 3.3V hole.

Imagecraft compiler user

But the SPI output of the Arduino is also 5V, you can't connect it directly to the NRF2401 inputs.

But the SPI output of the Arduino is also 5V, you can't connect it directly to the NRF2401 inputs.

Incorrect.

Although that is for the nRF24L01.  The OP specified the nRF2401, which doesn't have 5V tolerant inputs.  I suspect however that the OP does in fact have an nRF24L01 or nRF24L01+...?

"Experience is what enables you to recognise a mistake the second time you make it."

"Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement."

"Wisdom is always wont to arrive late, and to be a little approximate on first possession."

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not unicorns."

"Fast.  Cheap.  Good.  Pick two."

"We see a lot of arses on handlebars around here." - [J Ekdahl]

Last Edited: Thu. Nov 24, 2016 - 02:24 AM

STATUS register (0x07) should default to 0b1110 (14 decimal) on startup.

That readback works! So maybe I didnt zap the NRF by giving him a short drink of 5V.

Imagecraft compiler user

The IO pins (at least on a real NORDIC) are 5v tolerant.

There's an on-chip regulator. The thing would likely survive 5v, but I wouldn't count on it. Have you tried sending and receiving messages with it?

I have my first "NRF Trainer" boards, and the second step in any project, after blinking an LED, is to see if it will talk to "Tommy and Timmy." In fact, if I get myself confused and think I've goofed up the RF code -- see it if will talk to Tommy and Timmy.

If you don't know my whole story, keep your mouth shut.

If you know my whole story, you're an accomplice. Keep your mouth shut.