[NEWBIE] Some question about ngw100 and linux development.

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi all, I've some question about the right step to develop on ngw100 with linux.
I am a Linux user, I have experience programming in both C and assembler code on different AVR, ARM7 and Cortex-M3 devices and a very little experience with uClinux.
I hope you can clarify some doubts.

- How do I debug applications? Gdb runs on the board and connect via ethernet to the PC and then to eclipse, or using the mk2 and connect directly to the JTAG connector?

- The ngw100 uses a standart linux kernel or it uses a specific one? Who release the update?

- The linux mounted on the board, uses the standard C library, or it uses something bad like uClibc?

- This linux has full support for the memory management unit and multitasking?

To begin I stop here, but so many other questions will come.. :)

Thank you very much for any helps.

Quote:
How do I debug applications? Gdb runs on the board and connect via ethernet to the PC and then to eclipse, or using the mk2 and connect directly to the JTAG connector?

In Linux: gdbserver on target + avr32-linux-gdb on host
Standalone: JTAG + gdbproxy + avr32-gdb on host

Quote:
The ngw100 uses a standart linux kernel or it uses a specific one? Who release the update?

Standard kernel from http://kernel.org/

Quote:
The linux mounted on the board, uses the standard C library, or it uses something bad like uClibc?

The Linux system uses a standard C library, yes. The flavor of choice is uClibc, why do you mark it as bad?

Quote:
This linux has full support for the memory management unit and multitasking?

Yes and yes.

Hans-Christian

hce wrote:
Quote:
How do I debug applications? Gdb runs on the board and connect via ethernet to the PC and then to eclipse, or using the mk2 and connect directly to the JTAG connector?

In Linux: gdbserver on target + avr32-linux-gdb on host
Standalone: JTAG + gdbproxy + avr32-gdb on host

what do you specifically mean with standalone? I am on standalone mode when i write, for example, a driver? And I am on linux mode when i debug my program?

Quote:
Quote:
The linux mounted on the board, uses the standard C library, or it uses something bad like uClibc?

The Linux system uses a standard C library, yes. The flavor of choice is uClibc, why do you mark it as bad?

Because I've used uClibc with uClinux and I've had so many difficult in compile the gdbserver in it.. I had thinked that the fault was of the uClibc library.
I remember that this library don't have "malloc" and so many other function inside, but probably I'm wrong..

Quote:
what do you specifically mean with standalone? I am on standalone mode when i write, for example, a driver? And I am on linux mode when i debug my program?

Yes, standalone is either when you write a standalone (no operating system) application or try to debug the operating system itself.

Quote:
Because I've used uClibc with uClinux and I've had so many difficult in compile the gdbserver in it.. I had thinked that the fault was of the uClibc library. I remember that this library don't have "malloc" and so many other function inside, but probably I'm wrong..

uClibc is a fully working C library implementation, you can of course disable memory allocation, but who would want that... Atmel provides a package[1] for helping you compile the toolchain, kernel and a file system. It is based upon Buildroot.

1: www.atmel.no/buildroot

Hans-Christian

ok, all much clearer now.
Another question.
The various devices on this demo board are all supported in Linux? Or is it necessary to develop specific drivers?

IIRC all peripheral accept the ISI module (typically used for camera interface) are supported by the latest kernel.

Hans-Christian