New Atmel product: STK 600

Go To Last Post
80 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 0

(hope this isn't going to break my bandwidth!)

All I can say is... Nice and, lucky you, unlucky me!!!

Have a lot of fun with that thing!!!

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

More news when I've dared apply some power to it (still not sure I've built the mega32 "sandwich" correctly yet!).

In fact it's ironic that one of the first tutorials here was the making of sandwiches. Seems like Atmel have taken this to heart. In the middle of the board there you build a "stacked sandwich" with a carrier board on top and a "routing board" in the middle that routes the correct signals for the top board that's been fitted from the generic connector on the board. The actual connection is not a plug/socket but a sping loaded connector pushing against a set of PCB pads and all held in tension by those little white plastic spacers.

More news when I have it.

Cliff

PS If anyone has any bit of it they'd like to see in close-up (well as good as this camera allows!) then just say the word.

Envy-envy-envy...

Actually: Congratulations, Cliff!
Have fun, and let us know all about it!

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

OOOhhhhh - shiny! Feels good to have a new pre-release toy, eh Cliff? ;)

The sandwich thing looks interesting, it's certainly a unique approach. Good to see Atmel finally using the USB1287 in their own designs rather than the Phillips USB chip.

Nice photos.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

clawson wrote:
The actual connection is not a plug/socket but a sping loaded connector pushing against a set of PCB pads and all held in tension by those little white plastic spacers.

Cliff, we used to call that a "bed of nails", but maybe that is just an Aussie term.

Cheers,

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

valusoft wrote:
Cliff, we used to call that a "bed of nails", but maybe that is just an Aussie term.

Cheers,

No, it's not just an Aussie term. Back when I was heavily involved with the semiconductor testing aspects of the industry, and at Telex Computer, we referred to the jig (fixture) making the electrical connections as a "Bed of Nails. "

In fact, that is exactly what it looked like - a Gold plated bed of nails, pointing up vertically.

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

Any info on what goes into those white "top-card" like connectors, seeing as the new sandwich approach negates the need for the traditional top-cards? It doesn't seem STK500 top-card compatible.

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Looks very good. New toys are fun, whether you need them or not :)
I wonder what the sales-price will be ....

Nard

A GIF is worth a thousend words   They are called Rosa, Sylvia, Tricia, and Ulyana. You can find them https://www.linuxmint.com/

Dragon broken ? http://aplomb.nl/TechStuff/Dragon/Dragon.html for how-to-fix tips

Oh yeah all our products are factory tested on bed of nails testers but I wouldn't call this arrangement quite the same. BoN tends to be spring loaded sharp points that connect to very small test pads or even the vias whereas theses are quite wide and connect to long PCB "fingers" (see those routing cards in my 5th post above). But I guess that in essence the idea of spring loaded connections is similar.

As to Dean's question about the STK500 top card connectors I'm afraid that as yet I'm not in a position to answer that as I haven't exactly got a lot of documentation for this thing yet (read "none" ;) )

I did power it up and, after letting the 4.13 SP1 upgrade my USB drivers, I connected it to the PC and in Driver Manager, under "Jungo" it shows up as "STK600" so has been recognised in some sense - but 4.13.557 shows no sign of having recognised its presence as yet - so there's not a whole lot I can do with it.

Cliff

Last Edited: Thu. Oct 11, 2007 - 01:56 PM

Plons wrote:
I wonder what the sales-price will be ....

The DHL label had a "value for insurance purposes" on it but I'll need to check with Atmel whether it's OK to reveal what that was - but I can say that other threads I've read on here about 600 seem to have been in the right ball park. ;)

Cliff

Oh, how nice to have a new toy, specially when it is still to be released to the general public.

Please, satisfy our curiosity and keep us informed.

Grunt. Envy. Brrrr.

Have fun,

Guillem.

Guillem.
"Common sense is the least common of the senses" Anonymous.

I'm still trying to figure out the first picture and what it means. A transformer toy and birds with red bicycle lights for heads, and its ready to write on a Palm Pilot. I don't get it.

echo the envy sentiments ;)

Very cool. Better find out from Atmel exactly how much information they're actually comfortable with you divulging right now, it being pre-release and all. But I'm very much looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it!

- Luke

So, there is a Santa after all :wink: Cool!

Eivind said they were happy for me to give a mini-review ("with lots of pictures") so that's what this is planning to be (or rather it is when I've found some documentatoin/software to support it ;) )

There's so much "stuff" on this board that the more I look at it the more I discover things. Datflash is back for example and the ports at the top are RS232 and "CAN" but I think it means these in the "application" sense of usage, not that they are for the interface to the programming PC as that's covered by the USB. Down at the bottom, with all the PORT headers there are patch pins for Dataflash, CAN, LIN and "RS232 spare"

One thing that intrigues me is the mention of "debugger" on the outer sleeve of the box. I'm not sure if that simply means that they run the JTAG pins to a 10 pin header so a JTAGICE/Dragon can be used or whether there's a JTAG debugger on board (it does have THREE big AVRs on there after all - the 90USB1287 and two mega164s)

Congratulations Cliff, you deserve it and thanks for sharing. Please keep your discoveries coming, as we are all anxious to learn the real deal!

Thanks for sharing,
John

Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!

clawson wrote:

One thing that intrigues me is the mention of "debugger" on the outer sleeve of the box. I'm not sure if that simply means that they run the JTAG pins to a 10 pin header so a JTAGICE/Dragon can be used or whether there's a JTAG debugger on board (it does have THREE big AVRs on there after all - the 90USB1287 and two mega164s)

That was the thing that caught my eye too.

It is even more intriguin the fact that there is a 10 pin header called JTAG just side by side another unlabeled 10 pin header. It is in the same area (blue painted) than ISP, PROGDADA and PROGCTRL. It looks like it is in fact JTAG. I hope so. I wish so. I dream so ;). If yes, and for a good price, this would be 'the definitive dev board'.

Keep us informed.

Guillem.

Guillem.
"Common sense is the least common of the senses" Anonymous.

Well good and bad news:

good news is that I now have a manual and supporting software

bad news is that it now reveals that the only JTAG functionlity is JTAG programming, not JTAG debugging I'm afraid.

It has all the other STK programming methods of course - ISP (including 6 or 10 pin to external target), HVPP, HVSP and the joy of these "routing cards" is all those various "patch cables" you previously had to put in place to do parallel are now handled in the "routing cards" - so to do parallel it's always just a case of fitting two ten pin cables to adjacent pin headers, and similarly ISP is just fitting a single 10 pin cable.

I've even found out why my board was flashing a red/orange LED when I put the mega32 "sandwich" on it. Apparently it was telling me that I'd picked the wrong one of the 7 routing cards for the PDIP header.

I've also now discovered that the "mini" connector in the very top right of the board (next to the two DB9s) is actually a USB connector that's available when a USB supporting AVR CPU is being used.

Oh (and presumably in support of the UC3s) the on board clock circuit can go all the way up to 32MHz which should make for some fun over-clocking experiments ;)

Cliff

The question is???

Do you have an LED Zylon program streaking flashing LEDs across the board yet?

You're slowing down in your excitement of all of this...

Carl

You have got to be psychic. It just so happened that someone had posted a question about their moving LED program the other day so that's what I already had in my active Studio project so I modified it to ping-pong the lights in true Cyclon/Knightrider stylee and have this running:

#include  

unsigned char led; 
volatile unsigned int i=0; 
volatile uint8_t dir = 0;

void wait() 
{ 
   while(i<2500) 
   { 
      i++; 
   } 
} 

int main() 
{ 
   PORTB = 0xFF;      /*Give PortB initial value*/ 
   led = 1; 
   DDRB = 0xFF;      /*Set PortB as Output*/ 

while(1) 
   { 
      PORTB =~led;   /*Invert the output since a zero means: LED on*/ 
	  if (!dir) {
      	led <<= 1;      /* Move to next LED by performing a rotate left*/ 

if (!led) { 
			led = 0x80;  /*If overflow: start with led1 again*/ 
			dir = !dir;
		}
	  }
	  else {
      	led >>= 1;      /* Move to next LED by performing a rotate left*/ 

if (!led) { 
			led = 1;  /*If overflow: start with led1 again*/ 
			dir = !dir;
		}
	  }

i=0; 
      wait(); 
   } 
}

I can't say I particularly like this code (but thanks to John Carey anyway!) but let's face it the embedded world's equivalent of "Hello, world" is the Cylon lights.

I guess printf() (and using the RS232) is probably next on the list so I can get the menu interface to my Dataflash routines into the thing then I can make sure they work with the onboard Dataflash (no reason to think that they won't in fact)

Now if the batteries hadn't just dried up in this camera I borrowed I'd post a video to YouTube but I guess that'll keep until tomorrow morning when I can bring my own camera in.

Cliff

PS I would have got here sooner but I'm actually trying to make a release of a satellite PVR code tree before EOB today as well! :o

cliff.. thanks for sharing the pics...

curious..is the only alignment mechanisim between the top socket pcb and the middle pcb and finally the bottom pcb with the finger connectors are those 4 nylon plastic pins?

is the spacing on those fingers 50 mils?

Quote:
bad news is that it now reveals that the only JTAG functionlity is JTAG programming, not JTAG debugging I'm afraid.

surely they have designed in some way to attach a jtag debugger since its not built in (no onboard external sram)? without a means to debug it sort of makes it a "programming " board and not a "development" board.....

i guess you could always attach the jtag squid cable to the external header ports pins for the respective device mounted on the stack of pancakes!

Well my eyesight is a bit crap but using a vernier caliper I have here it looks like the spacing might be 0.9mm in fact

And yes the alignment is just a couple of tiny (like 0.5mm) plastic spigots/holes at the end of each connector then then main alignment is the 4 plastic screws that hold rthe sandwich together (there's also a clip arrangment available but I thought the screws looked more secure).

By the way you want to see how fast those Cylon lights (programmed for a 1MHz oscillator) move when you crank up the mega32 to 32MHz!!!

(I only did it VERY briefly and chip did not appear to get hot in any way but I probably won't try that again - but I can't help wondering if the STK600 control dialog in Studio, once you have picked an AVR device, ought to limit this to 20MHz in fact?)

Talking of Studio, once the service pack with the STK600 support is applied the new STK600 dialog along with the existing STK500 dialog (and the other I guess) have a quite different way of showing/selecting the fuses - not entirely convinced it's a step forward yet!

Cliff

Attachment(s): 

BlueGoo,

Oh the target side of the fence does indeed bring all the JTAG lines from the target chip to the standard 10 pin header so you can easily (in fact more easily than an STK500) plug a Dragon or a JTAGICEmkII onto it to debug a target chip. However on the STK600 side of the fence the only JTAG circuitry it provides is a programmer, not a debugger so it's a kind of half way house between a Dragon/ICE and the old STK500 in fact.

Cliff

Quote:

a quite different way of showing/selecting the fuses - not entirely convinced it's a step forward yet!

Oh yes it is! At least in my world. Basic Windows Interface Guidelines has been in place 10 to 15 years now, and the selecting of eg. the system clock should have been a combo box from the beginning, not a collection of check boxes. The way old example of selecting the wrong widget is a dialogue box for selecting a US state ... by ticking one of 52 radio buttons. The row of check boxes for clock source is not that bad, but bad enough.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

JohanEkdahl wrote:
The way old example of selecting the wrong widget is a dialogue box for selecting a US state ... by ticking one of 52 radio buttons.

Ummmmm.....

Johan, I know citizens of the United States have a reputation for not being good about geographical information, even with regard to our own country, but...

Last I looked, we were a country of 50 states and a couple of U.S. possessions.

Did I sleep thru the adoption of two other states into the the United States? :oops:

Or, are you considering the U.S. possessions, as well?

Just saw pictures of that at today's Picopower workshop. They mentioned expected prices for it, as well as an aproximate date...

Since there was no mention of the information being private or confidential, I'm not sure if its OK to post it, but if the rest of you guys think its ok, let me know..

Cliff: did the various top boards come in the box ready to go? or do you need to buy them extra? thanks for the pictures, they are much more informative then the ones in the slide show =)

Richard

Well Carl... I could say that I slipped while typing, but then you'd observe that there are seven key between the '0' and the '2'. I could argue that I used the numerical keyboard but that would be a lie. I could go along with the territory possession thing, but you'd look it up and they are fourteen (at least that is what Wikipedia claims). And the D.C. is .. well just D.C. and there is one of it. Sooo... No easy escape for me. I just have this erroneous fact in my head that there are 52 states, when in fact you are correct with the figure 50.

50 radio-buttons is still bad, though...

JohanEkdahl wrote:
Well Carl... I could say that I slipped while typing, but then you'd observe that there are seven key between the '0' and the '2'. I could argue that I used the numerical keyboard but that would be a lie. I could go along with the territory possession thing, but you'd look it up and they are fourteen (at least that is what Wikipedia claims). And the D.C. is .. well just D.C. and there is one of it. Sooo... No easy escape for me. I just have this erroneous fact in my head that there are 52 states, when in fact you are correct with the figure 50.

50 radio-buttons is still bad, though...

Well, Johan, I'm glad to see that you were at least playing with a "Full Deck! " And, between the two of us, I guess we make up the "Jokers!!! "

I hope you didn't mind my harassing you? I'm just trying to shake off the boredom.

OT:

Quote:

I hope you didn't mind my harassing you? I'm just trying to shake off the boredom.

No way, and you know that! Shake everything you got!

Quote:

Quote:

...when in fact you are correct with the figure 50.

When the 1996 Olympics was held in Atlanta Georgia USA, there were different stages for the "public" to obtain tickets. First was a mail-order stage. Then there was a phone-order stage. Of course, that first day of phone orders was the busiest; I remember that I was on hold for 3 to 4 hours.

Anyway, there was a story of a person from the state of New Mexico that ordered tickets via the phone that day. When it came time to complete the order with the shipping address, he was informed that they could not be sent to a foreign country (his New Mexico address). A supervisor was summoned, who confirmed that the tickets could not be sent to New Mexico as it was a foreign country. IIRC he thought quickly and had them sent to a relative in another state.

Anyway, are you SURE, Carl, that there are indeed 50, given that the giant Olympics bureaucracy says that there are less???

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Many here want open boarders and perhaps think of Mexico and Canada as states. So for these folks Johan is correct there are 52 states maybe more.
Cheers,
John

theusch wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

...when in fact you are correct with the figure 50.

When the 1996 Olympics was held in Atlanta Georgia USA, there were different stages for the "public" to obtain tickets. First was a mail-order stage. Then there was a phone-order stage. Of course, that first day of phone orders was the busiest; I remember that I was on hold for 3 to 4 hours.

Anyway, there was a story of a person from the state of New Mexico that ordered tickets via the phone that day. When it came time to complete the order with the shipping address, he was informed that they could not be sent to a foreign country (his New Mexico address). A supervisor was summoned, who confirmed that the tickets could not be sent to New Mexico as it was a foreign country. IIRC he thought quickly and had them sent to a relative in another state.

Anyway, are you SURE, Carl, that there are indeed 50, given that the giant Olympics bureaucracy says that there are less???

Lee

Lee, these days I'm not even sure if I'm still breathing.

It is true though, we (U.S. citizens) have the worst reputation for being ignorant about the world around us - especially about our own country. This is highlighted with the appearance the new T.V. show "Are you smarter then a fifth grader? "

We U.S. American have a lot to learn about the world and, especially our own country.

And for the record...
In a political discussion in the "Off-Topic " forum a couple of years ago, Johan demonstrated a far superior knowledge about my country then I have. So, what does that tell you???

EDIT:
And in contrast, I know next to nothing about Johan's country!

Oops, incoming.
Note to self; think before typing!
John

Clawson, Atmel told me that the STK500 Top cards wouldn't fit the STK600. I am curious if they included an adapter plate that would bring out the headers needed for these to work?

chrometsuba wrote:
Cliff: did the various top boards come in the box ready to go? or do you need to buy them extra?

Well the packaging consists of that outer sleeve with the "Transformers" picture over a main box in which there are three other boxes. The big one cotains the STK600 motherboard above a section with all the cables/connectors. Then up one end are two almost identical cubical boxes. In one is the TQFP socket top board together with three TQFP "routing boards. In the other is the ZIF DIP top board together with seven routing boards (think it was something like 8, 14, 20 x 2, 28 x 2, 40 x 2 for the various number of pin devices). While I haven't tried it yet I take it that although it's a 40 pin ZIF the "slots" are very wide and you can plug 8, 14, 20, 28 and 40 pin devices into it - I'll check with a 28 pin mega168 tomorrow.

Both a packing list that Eivind sent me via email and then the documentation in the stk600.chm file that is installed by the STK600 supporting Studio Service Pack both list all these bits as "standard". You also get a 40 pin DIP packaged mega32 and a 64 pin TQFP packaged mega1281 supplied as standard.

Again I plan to make a TQFP/1281 "sandwich" tomorrow and see how I get on with that too. I presume it'll run my Cylon lights just as well as the mega32 appears to.

So the bottom line seems to be that it comes with everything to support all the DIP packaged AVRs and all the TQFP packaged AVRs and AVR32 UC3s

Already, given that I have an idea of the selling price, I've been trying to weigh up if it is "worth it " or not. I can't help thinking that an STK500+Dragon (which will be cheaper) may still be a better option UNLESS you need TQFP device support (with the STK500 you'd have to add the cost of an STK501) and unless you are specifically an automotive developer for whom the onboard CAN and LIN support may make the added cost attractive.

Cliff

jbtech wrote:
Clawson, Atmel told me that the STK500 Top cards wouldn't fit the STK600. I am curious if they included an adapter plate that would bring out the headers needed for these to work?

As far as I can see this thing does not directly support STK500 top boards and as yet I know nothing of an "adapter board" that would allow them to be fitted.

Having said that almost every signal on the board are brought to those two cream coloured connectors up near the top and the .chm file documents the complete pin out of those and even suggests the part number and supplier of the compatible connectors that will fit them, presumably encouraging third parties to produce their own plug in cards?

But while I used to have an STK501 in which case I could have given a definitive answer as to whether such an STK500 card could be used the fact is that Atmel asked for it back at some stage so I no longer have it. But I seem to remember that they used two 50 way "pin headers" to connect and the STK600 has no such banked connectors.

Cliff

So for the picture with the DIP ZIF top board, you would use the ZIF board and one of the others in that picture to "configure" the pin-out of the selected MCU?

The board still looks astonishing. Pricy as all hell, but amazingly good! I think I'm just about sold on the sandwich mechanism, as it would give the board a lot more flexibility.

I'm curious as to the function of the slave MEGAs on the board. I can see the USB1287 acting as the master for communications and protocol handling, but why would Atmel need *two* extra AVRs? Clock generation could be handled by a tiny AVR, so whatever their function it would most likely require a bit of grunt.

As for the support, is that in a pre-release service pack you recieved, or in the latest service pack on the Atmel beta page? If the latter I'll have to download and install it just for the added STK600 information.

The new fuse selections screen looks wierd and confusing, but that's normal for me when faced with anything new ;).

Congratulations again on your new toy, Cliff.

EDIT:

Quote:
...the fact is that Atmel asked for it back at some stage...

Atmel yanks back gifts and purchases now? Better hide my equipment!

Cliff, Thanks for the info on the Top card.

Overall I am very impressed with the number of I/O headers brought out for the larger pin chips. It looks like it will be a great development board for the future.

Also does anyone have an ETA for release yet?

I heard a price of three hundred and some dollars USD today at the Seattle (Bellevue) Pico power workshop.

Tom

Pages