New Atmega644 - anybody interested?

Go To Last Post
16 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Am I the only one who was pleased by the June Atmel Product ENews, introducing Atmega644 ? :D

Quote:
ATmega644 is device pin and functionally compatible to ATmega32, with higher memory density and the capability of low operating range down to 1.8V and up to 5V for maximum 20 MHz performance. It is available in 40-pin PDIP and 44-pin/pad TQFP and QFN/MLF packages.

http://www.atmel.com/newsletter/605.asp

Hi,

No, you are not the only one pleased to see that announcement. I am assuming it will have the pin change interrupt capabilities like all of the newest mega's and, like you apparently, I am very glad to see the 40 pin DIP package. I am not against the SMD devices but I like prototyping/testing with the STK500.

Regards,
Steve

Hey Steve... think this new avr will work in those ere co mega32 dev boards? Change the xtal to 20mhz.... I see Futurelec sells those bds... picture looks exactly the same....

Imagecraft compiler user

Hi Bob,

The newsletter says the mega644 is pin compatible with the mega32. That would be real cool if they did work in the ere boards. I love those pin change interrupts and the I/O toggle capability of the new AVR's (the extra memory is of no consequence to me yet :-) ). Of course I cannot find a datasheet for the mega644. It seems a bit strange that this device 'seems' to have come out of nowhere. I don't remember seeing anything about in previous Atmel releases and now, all of a sudden, it is 'released to production'. Must be a case of some VERY large customer saying they needed a 64K version in a dip package. Ahhh, but I am just rambling on now :-) .

I have never been to the Futurelec site, I will have to go check it out.

Regards,
Steve

It is on the roadmap presented at the recent seminars--part of the 164/324/644 family. My note on the page indicates that they will be automotive temperature range; AFAIK this is the first extended-temperature range AVR?

Don't hold your breath waiting for samples. The '644 is indicated to sample Q405, with the others in Q106.

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Thanks again Lee!

So in this case 'released to production' doesn't mean *production* quantities, it means sample quantities and even then it means no samples until Q405....strange :-( (but I should be used to 'strange' :-) )

[edit] Hmmm, it is quite scary' but interesting at the same time, to try to imagine what the hell goes on inside a *marketing* persons head :-)

Regards,
Steve

Any idea when avr-gcc will support this device? For now, it seems that only assembly language is supported.

Hi,

Quote:
Any idea when avr-gcc will support this device? For now, it seems that only assembly language is supported.

This would probably have the best chance of being answered in the AVR-GCC Forum.

Regards,
Steve

slither wrote:

When a volunteer has time to add it in....

Richard Man from Imagecraft says has added 644 support to last weeks release of ICCAVR 7.02

Imagecraft compiler user

So anyone seen that AVR yet ? I was browsing the table looking for something as cool as the m168, but bigger :D
"Just the step up" and the 644 seems to be just the same new generation device.. All the new power saving features, pin interupts, and a tiny package....

Author of simavr - Follow me on twitter : @buserror

Hi buserror, I've built a few projects with the 644. They're widely available on digikey.com

Hi Kevin; yeah I realized that afterward I was replying to message from July.... 05 (!)

Are you happy with the 644 ? I must say I'm quite fond of the 168, I just wish it had more sram :D
Since I'm new at AVRs, I'm just ignoring the 'older' generation and picking only the most recent parts...

Author of simavr - Follow me on twitter : @buserror

Yeah, I thought the dates were a bit unusual :wink: I like the 168, too. I've been very pleased with the 644 (and 324), especially compared to the older Mega16 and Mega32. I do a lot of battery designs, so I extensively use the picopower and pin change interrupts with these newer MCUs.

check out the picopower series, the mega328P, seems to be pin compatible with the 168, 2K RAM, 1K EEPROM, and 32K flash. Prices might be reasonable, and might be available now or real soon now....

It'll answer several potential problems I have with an SD card reader using the Mega168.

Harvey

Thanks for the tip, Nightsky. I found the press release ( http://www.atmel.com/dyn/corpora... ). Sounds like they'll be useful MCUs when they hit the street.