My first 0402 reflow

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Here are some pics of my first attempt at assembling a surface mount board using reflow. The board has only 5 components, but the passives are 0402 and the IC is an 8-contact 6mm x 5mm MLF.

The IC is an Atmel dataflash that I'm going to do some testing with. But the main purpose of the board was really to test my ability to assembly and reflow components this size.

My process was basically the skillet approach (I used a griddle). The stencil was a low budget plastic one referenced by sparkfun. I also used a heat gun on the top while heating with the griddle from below and an IR temp gun to keep track of the heating progress.

Overall it worked out very well for my first attempt. I made 8 of them and they all tested ok. My only concern is that the boards look a bit toasted after the process. I'll have to work on controlling the heat better (don't want to delaminate them or detach the vias). But I noticed that the color difference around the vias existed even on the naked board. The solder-paste I used was from Stencils Unlimited and a bit too runny. I'm going to look from some thicker stuff, but unfortunately most other vendors only sell down to 500g jars.

Attachment(s): 

-Brad

Attachment(s): 

-Brad

Last Edited: Wed. Feb 13, 2008 - 07:20 AM

Nice Job!
JC