MLF/QFN Package component Mounting Help...! (ATtiny 2313)

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

hi...,

we are using ATtiny 2313 for our project...we have doubt as follows...
:? Is it neccessary to soldered bottom part(base) of the chip to the ground....what if,we do not do so....plz help...!!

thanks in anticipation.

hgaurav and bdhanashree

We've had a thread on SMT souldering in the last few days, and many threads earlier. (hint 'search')

Solderpaste, toaster oven or hotplate, tutorial on www.sparkfun.com

And do you think they put the ground pad their just to play with you? They don't put anything on the packaage that isn't necessary. It is a grounded heat sink and probably won't kill you on a school project, but will kill you on a commercial project.

Smiley

What does the data-sheet say?

Page 2 of the data-sheet suggest that the bottom of the Tiny2313 MLF package SHOULD be soldered to ground.

I'd follow the manufacturers recommendation, if I were you!

It took me all of 30 seconds to look at the data-sheet to find that information. How about you?

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

You should put the pad for the GND. You could use a pad (square or round) with a hole so that if hand soldering, you can get some solder in there (using flux) from the bottom of the board. This also helps if you have to remove the part. I believe the main reason for the pad is mechanical stability.

Tom

thanks everyone.. think we will design a new board and solder the bottom pad to gnd.