Missing device support for my device in the STK500

Go To Last Post
17 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

What we provide support for with AS5 are devices that have been tested. This is of course done to be able to indicate any kind of confidence that it might work. This goes for all the tools.
Try to envision the sheer workload of testing all devices*all interfaces*all tools.
Then make a quick assessment of the time and manpower required to do so. Then envision fixing a bug, and retesting.
Get the picture?
Lots of repetitive work = not fit for humans. So yes we have automated this. But not for the STK500...

The STK500 is a nice and inexpensive kit, and a lot of you out there have one. Great, but we do not have enough time or manpower to trow at testing it completely or you wouldn't get studio5 for a long time yet.

Now I'm going to explain how I go about to add support for a device that used to be supported in Studio4 but is not officially supported in studio5. Need less to say perhaps but I'll say it anyway: I'm a trained possessional you should not attempt this at home. It could probably ruin your PC and STK500.

-First I open the folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\AVR Studio 5.0\tools\STK500\xml
- I open one of the files. It's XML! How convenient;)
- I make the obvious device name substitutions. (yes it's case sensitive)
- I save the file with a new and equally obvious filename.
- I Restart AVR Studio 5

That's how I do it. You probably should not ;)

Does this work even in the release version of AVR Studio 5?

Felipe Maimon

While I admire your honesty, I am not impressed by the explanation.

The STK500 is not very complicated hardware. Most functions are completely generic e.g. VCC, AVCC, F_CPU etc.

The ISP (or HVxP) functions in stk500.dll have always parsed the XML in the PartDescriptionFile. If the stk500.dll has worked ok with Studio4, it should work with any successor. Let's face it, the ISP XML description is fairly simple.

Occasionally there have been typos in the XML. These are discovered fairly promptly.

Yes. It is fairly obvious how to create a 'new' description. Removing some manufacturer's description seems unwise, even if you have not tested every obscure or obsolete device.

Incidentally, the AVR descriptions are pretty logical. The AT89S5x descriptions are a complete mystery. stk500.dll must do some horrible kludges!

The complex aspect of the PartDescription is the detail for the Simulator / Debugger. This has nothing to do with a STK500 at all.

David.

@Fmaimon
Yes, this works in the release version.

@David
While you're not impressed with my explanation, I'm not sure what else you're trying to tell me here.
I think you'll find that there are differences between AS4 and AS5 in both content of the xml files and how they are used. Stk500.dll is btw not a part of AS5.

Is it just me or is there a REALLY condescending attitude in the OP??

Mr OKB, you are not helping your cause with posts like this (assuming your cause is acceptance of AS5).

I rather read it like the OP tries to get "full deniability", rather than applying a condescending tone. Then again, I have been in prior correspondence with OKB and might be tainted by me finding him very juste and straight at that time.

BTW, nothing of the above is really anything I have pondered. It is just a unique coincidence of truly random hits at the keyboard. Anything you read into it is 100% in the eye of the beholder... :wink:

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

OKB wrote:
@Fmaimon
Yes, this works in the release version.

I've just created the xml file below for the tiny2313 and S5 is not listing it in the AVR Programming window (Tools/AVR Programming).

The XML file is located in this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\AVR Studio 5.0\tools\STK500\xml

I've already restarted Studio, Windows, etc and no go. Is there something I'm missing or did wrong?

Attachment(s): 

Felipe Maimon

Ok. I did it. I've had to make S5 run as an administrator to make it enable support for the tiny2313. I'm running Win7 x64, btw.

Felipe Maimon

All:
Sorry for seeming condescending. Not my intention I assure you.
However I did try to clarify a point: AS5 is different in file and folder structure from AS4. I advice against assuming other-vice when you dig deeper than the GUI. Any knowledge that you have about AS4 architecture is as a general rule NOT directly transferable. There, that knowledge might save some of you some time and frustration. Which btw was my intention when starting this thread ;)

Hi fmaimon. Good to hear that you managed to get it working. We noted the issue with the administrator rights. While it is probably necessary for copying the files, it should not be necessary for AS5 to get the support. I've seen similar incidents with windows keeping a shadow copy of files under the "Program Files" sub folders. So the files appear to be there in the file explorer, but isn't available when you run an application. I usually copy the files to a temp folder, do the edit there and copy them back. That triggers the "you need adm priviliges" dialogue and after providing that, files are reachable by my application as well

HTH
-Ole

or run your editor with administratr rights (under win7 prof)

Ok. Confirmed that if you create the files in another folder than "Program Files" and them copy to the STK500 folder it works.

Felipe Maimon

hello

I have the same problem. I have the Atmega 2560 and the STK500. Why is there no support für the Atmega 2560 with the STK 500??

Im using the STK 500 now since nearly one year and everythings works fine but with the new Studio 5 its very complicated to flash the Atmega. Is it possible to add the support for the Atmega 2560 to the Studio 5 so that i can flash it direct from the Studio?

Best regards Christoph

With the recent AVR Studio 5.1 beta the STK500 device support should be identical to the AVR Studio 4 support.

BR
-Ole

i downloadet the beta 5.1 without sucess. Im using this Programmer.
Ebay-Artikel Nr. 370490000223

is there a way to include this programmer to Studio 5.1
I need to programm the Atmega AT90PWM3B and the Atmega328.

I always need to open the Studio 4 to programm the AVRs

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with that programmer, so I cannot say. You should be able to get a statement from the manufacturer, if they are serious about their business.

BR
-Ole

Quote:
Ebay-Artikel Nr. 370490000223

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370490...

Well it says it communicates using stk500v2 protocol so if you tell AS5 you have an STK500 it *should* work (assuming it gets the protocol right). Only thing is that when AS5 (or AS4 for that matter) first connects to a programmer such as an STK500 it asks it what firmware version it contains and if it does not match the version that AS5 is willing to talk to it will offer to upgrade the firmware. So this is likely to happen. Whether your device will then accept an update version and program it in could be the stumbling block.

If all else fails use avrdude.exe with "-c stk500v2". You can add an invocation of this as a post build step in AS5 if you want it to happen from "inside" AS5.