Mega16/32/644 "WASP"

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

FYI - I have no connection with this company.

http://www.soc-machines.com/prod...
and on eBay

Hi,
These look like a handy breakout for me, I got one off of ebay. Paid for two weeks ago and have not recieved yet. The vendor says they are tring to keep up with demand, I bet they are having problems getting parts due to RoHS. Not too worried about recieving it, just would like to have it.

I am looking forward to recieving and will post here how it works for me.

Since receiving the Wasp 32 I have successfully programmed and implemented simple UART echo and LED blinker. The Wasp wouldn’t program at first, I found a short from the RST! buss to VCC, which prevented the buttloader butterfly from taking control of the mega32. After a little scratching with an awl I was able to program easily.

Next I blinked the two on board LEDs connected to PD4 and PD5; one is amber the other is green. Kinda boring, but gotta start out simple.

Next I moved on to simple RS232 echo device. I set the fuse options from AVR Studio to use the 8MHz internal oscillator. I init the UBRR for 19200 and bread boarded a max232 for level translation. Nothing worked! Recalling that the internal oscillator speed is strongly correlated to Vcc and temp, and I had the Wasp at 3.3v. Checking the plot of 8MHz clock freq vs. Vcc I estimated that actually I was running at around 7.4MHz. I calibrated the UBRR to get the 19200 instead of trying to trim the internal oscillator. Now my RS232 echo works to simply echo characters back to terminal as they are sent. Lot of effort to make something that could be replaced by a paperclip across pins 2 & 3!

Overall, I am satisfied with the Wasp. I contacted SOC robotics about the short on the board and they offered to send me a replacement. From my explanation they determined that I received a rev1.0 board somehow; their current Wasp board is at 3.0.

My next step is to implement a wireless RS232 bridge using a couple of Cypress CYWM6935 modules and Wasps. I will post about that in a different thread when it is working.

Quote:
My next step is to implement a wireless RS232 bridge using a couple of Cypress CYWM6935 modules and Wasps. I will post about that in a different thread when it is working.

did you get the wireless part of your project working?

Last Edited: Mon. Oct 8, 2007 - 05:41 PM

But at a cost of...

Quote:

Price:
Wasp16 $29.95
Wasp32 $39.95
Wasp64 $49.95

the Wizbang Designs Mega644 controller board http://www.wizbangdesigns.com/10011_644V_10AU.html at $39.95, looks to be the better offering over the Wasp16/32 flavors.

And, I don't know if Tom (ZoomCityZoom) plans on continuing providing limited custom offerings such as specific Mega644 flavors, specific crystal frequencies, etc... But having that option is really nice when your need is slightly different then what is actually being advertised.

Just my opinion...

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston