MAX4617 availability

Go To Last Post
28 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi Freaks,
Does anybody know where I can get MAX4617 parts from asap? I need about 4 of the 16 lead DIP parts.I have already ordered some samples from Maxim but I think that will take a while. I tried buying from them (so I could select 2 day shipping)and it asked for a FEDEX account number which I don't have.

I have also checked Digikey and they have a minimum qty of 5K for the 16 lead DIP version. Mouser does not have them. Any ideas of other online stores where I can get this chip from?
Thanks.

Quote:
MAX4617 data sheet: Pin Compatible with Industry-Standard 74HC4051

Does your design require the exceptional characteristics of the MAX4617?

Stan

The thing is I am looking for something less than 10-15 ohms ON resistance which the MAX4617 has. I do have a 74HC4051 so I am going to give it a try. I am in the US, so any other electronics parts distributor who would have the MAX4617 would be useful.

npat_avr wrote:

I have also checked Digikey and they have a minimum qty of 5K for the 16 lead DIP version. Mouser does not have them. Any ideas of other online stores where I can get this chip from?
Thanks.

www.findchips.com comes up with a couple of hits...

Our HW guys tend to avoid Maxim because they often have serious lead times on their parts. Or so I am told...

yeah maxim can be pretty horrendous with lead times.

Writing code is like having sex.... make one little mistake, and you're supporting it for life.

Thanks,Damien.

I guess you guys are right. I found it the hard way. Maybe I will get my samples after the project has been deployed. :)

damien_d wrote:
npat_avr wrote:

Thanks.

Our HW guys tend to avoid Maxim because they often have serious lead times on their parts. Or so I am told...

I haven't designed in a Maxim part in about 5 years for this very reason.

I would be wary of the specified Ron/Roff values too. I have used a cousin of this chip (same family), and they are not too shabby. Do you need to use it as a multiplexer or as switches?

If the latter have a look at http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/fo... . I have used these switches with great success before, and TI will happily ship you 10 samples overnight. They are singles, but I like them better than 405n/461n octal packs, they are much less noisy.

nleahcim wrote:
damien_d wrote:
npat_avr wrote:

Thanks.

I haven't designed in a Maxim part in about 5 years for this very reason.

Maxim makes the greatest parts *on paper* but their reputation for poor delivery are well known, at least in this part of the world. I've worked in two companies where designing in Maxim is outright band. Even their distributor in the area discouraged their use because of the continually screwing of their customers on delivery dates. Then Maxim took away their franchise rights and gave it to an other company, because they did not understand why their product line did so poorly in the "Rust Belt". A Maxim Rep. was once at a meeting I was in, where he walked into the room and said "I don't make it out here to the Rust Belt very often" with glee. If they view us that way here, maybe they should not come at all...

The new Maxim CEO claims he is going to fix this.
Just last week I tried to get some parts to do one
of their application notes for a Battery Simulator
to test chargers. Could not get the chips...

Wow I didn't know Maxim was that bad. Will remember it next time.

@UnixWhore,
I am using this more as a switch because I am sending a signal from input to output only when the channel is selected. I guess you could call it both? Since I am selecting the output channel (which is like a mux) and sending an analog signal through the channel.(which would be a switch behavior)

I guess Ron would not matter if it was a mux?

Sadly, I have to concur. Never had a single sample out of Maxim despite numerous requests; was starting to think they didn't like Australians.

Texas on the other hand have been exceptionally generous and responsive. Not difficult to decide whose products first come to mind on new designs.

Cheers,

Ross

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

bpaddock wrote:
The new Maxim CEO claims he is going to fix this.
The old CEO didn't happen to end up in Atmel's XMega marketing department ...

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

I always prefer Linear Technology over Maxim.

Hi, this is Peter Sharrock from Maxim.

The MAX4617CPE+ (the 16-pin DIP, lead-free) is in stock obtainable via our on-line ordering site. The unit price is $2.70 so 4 pieces will cost $10.80, excluding applicable taxes and delivery. If anyone wants to expedite delivery, a FedEx a/c number is handy, and in my view reasonable – especially for small orders. Free samples are also available. The part that contains lead is not so easy to get, so if you need parts in a hurry it’s important to ask for the device with the “+” at the end of the part number, which indicates lead-free.

On the topic of our reputation for lousy delivery, it’s well deserved. We failed to give customers good support for too many years.

Having said that, our performance has improved greatly in the last couple of years. I just checked our stats, and our performance for the quarter just ended was 96% on time to the original schedule date (and this is for all orders to all customers, not cherry-picked for the big guys). Our distributors tell us that this is as good as or better than the industry average. Even so we are trying to improve on this. Last week we revamped our entire software for order processing and customer service, and we expect this to improve our on-time delivery numbers noticeably.

All the best,
Peter

Hi Peter,

All I can say is WOW! I never would have expected someone from Maxim to take the time to post at an Atmel microcontroller centric forum. Good to see that someone out there is listening and working to make things better.

Writing code is like having sex.... make one little mistake, and you're supporting it for life.

Actions ... not just words, please.

@Peter,

Thanks for the useful information on the '+'. I will ask for expedited delivery next time. Where can I get the Fedex acct. number?

npat_avr wrote:
@Peter,

Thanks for the useful information on the '+'. I will ask for expedited delivery next time. Where can I get the Fedex acct. number?

Quote:
Applying for a FedEx account number is easy. Open an account online or call 1.800.GoFedEx 1800.463.3339. This account will enable you to ship using both FedEx Express® and FedEx Ground® services.

Thank,thmjpr. I will do that.

glitch wrote:
Hi Peter,

All I can say is WOW! I never would have expected someone from Maxim to take the time to post at an Atmel microcontroller centric forum. Good to see that someone out there is listening and working to make things better.

Actually, it's a pleasure to join in on this. As I said in my first post, we have a terrible -- and justified -- reputation for poor delivery performance. Having spent a lot of time and money improving our performance, we are now faced with a reputation that lags reality. So it's nice to be able to explain that our performance is now a lot better than most folk think it is.

MAX has some cool and unique chips.... good to hear that it should be easy to design them in.

Imagecraft compiler user

I have used the Maxim online ordering a few times in the last 2 years. Always received the parts sooner than the lead time listed on the site...which is great!

valusoft wrote:
Actions ... not just words, please.

Until we took many actions we didn't dare use any words. Now we have improved, we can talk. So here are a few words -- not only about our actions, but also about their results.

1) Invested $722 on manufacturing facilities since the beginning of 2007. ($ number good as of about a month ago.)
2) Revamped distribution arrangements, and stopped treating distributors (and their customers) as second-class citizens.
3) Created a program to give priority to orders for 100 pieces or less. This favors small customers, and orders for pilot production.
4) Improved on-time delivery performance from probably around 85% (sorry, it's an approx number -- it's just too painful to go back and find out the exact number!) to about 96%.
5) Reduced lead-times by an average of 29% since the start of 2007.
6) Installed new order processing and tracking software (doesn't sound much, but it was a 2-year, $8-figure project) that should enable us to get above the 96% on-time level.

All the best,
Peter

Only 722$?! Surely you meant M$... :)

Ok I finally got the samples. I had ordered them on September 30.

Thanks Peter.

I too assume a 10^6 $multiplier.

Perhaps I will request a sample or two and "test the new waters".

Thanks for trying.

Regards,

Ross

UNiXWHoRe wrote:
Only 722$?! Surely you meant M$... :)

Totally!!! $722M

OK already! I was about a week late in delivering that "M" character. We still have a way to go ...

valusoft wrote:
Thanks Peter.

I too assume a 10^6 $multiplier.

Perhaps I will request a sample or two and "test the new waters".

Thanks for trying.

Regards,

Ross

Ross,
please let me know if you have any trouble getting samples from us. I don't get much feedback from Australia, so it would be useful to hear from you if our system has any glitches. My e-mail address is peter.sharrock(at)maxim-ic.com.
All the best,
Peter