m328 availability

Go To Last Post
11 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Availability of mega328 and mega168 has been a real concern. The major distributors have mere stock of 10-20 pieces and then next delivery schedule is in first week of May 10.

Any input as how to get it soon?

I had the same problem. Try www.sparkfun.com

I just bought some a week ago.

Quote:

The major distributors have mere stock of 10-20 pieces

-- Where are you located? That bears on what "major distributors" means.
-- What flavour(s) do you need? that bears on the "10-20 pieces".
-- Have you done a stock check off Atmel's Web site? www.octopart.com ? www.findchips.com ?
-- Have you looked at the very recent thread(s) on this very subject?

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Quote:

Have you looked at the very recent thread(s) on this very subject?

Clearly not or he wouldn't have created a cross-post. If I can find a good example of one of the previous availability threads I'll just merge this in. There's no point the "economic downturn, production jitters, long lead time, even Arduino chip absorbtion" litany being recounted for the Nth time!

53 available at AvnetExpress - just spoken to an online eCommerce bod there - 5 off at $3.08 ea, plus FedEx Priority @ $77.00 or FedEx Economy @ $69.00. USPS not an option.

Good job I write in ASM as I'm about 95% memory full in a m168 - I'll wait until m328 get in-stock in the UK...

Sparkfun in now sold out.
Avenet will probably be by tomorrow!
Sparkfun does have 50 pcs of the '328 left programmed with the arduino bootloader ($5.50 US).
These can be re-programmed as required.

theusch wrote:
Quote:

The major distributors have mere stock of 10-20 pieces

-- Where are you located? That bears on what "major distributors" means.
-- What flavour(s) do you need? that bears on the "10-20 pieces".
-- Have you done a stock check off Atmel's Web site? www.octopart.com ? www.findchips.com ?
-- Have you looked at the very recent thread(s) on this very subject?

Where are you located?That bears on what "major distributors" means.
>>India
>>Digikey, Avnet, Arrow etc

Have you done a stock check off Atmel's Web site?
>>Yes, It says Avnet has some stock. But their shipping cost is high.

Have you looked at the very recent thread(s) on this very subject?
>>No, I directly jumped into the forum->new Post

:evil: See stock of this product at Sparkfun:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce...
It reads as 3370 in stock
So sparkfun has 3370 x ATmega328 stocked?
I may be wrong.... anyone has the "real" inside idea of this stock count?

No they are out of stock. (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce...) The link you posted was to an arduino board that has an atmega328 on it. Guess you could pay $29.95 for the board, remove the chip and reprogram it if you are desparate!

Quote:

link you posted was to an arduino board that has an atmega328 on it.

Here we go again! One of the other "availability" threads already postulated that part of the problem was all the Arduino designs hoovering up any 168s/328s that become available.

clawson wrote:
Quote:

link you posted was to an arduino board that has an atmega328 on it.

Here we go again! One of the other "availability" threads already postulated that part of the problem was all the Arduino designs hoovering up any 168s/328s that become available.

I can't believe that the Arduino is THAT popular. (no one seems to be out of stock on Arduinos).

Quote:

I can't believe that the Arduino is THAT popular. (no one seems to be out of stock on Arduinos).

No it's just been put forward as one of the possible major consumers. I think I read somewhere that there were 40,000 Arduino users. It's a fair number but it's not actually going to consume THAT many wafers compared to a sat nav or uWave oven or whatever. Presumably though, if dev board manufacturers see a market their they may have over-estimated demand and bought up the "drip drip" stocks that are available.

But the point I was actually making is that this thread is a cross post and all this has already been discussed ad nauseum and it's simply that the OP didn't bother searching before posting that all the same old arguments are now going to be wheeled out for the Nth time.