load capacitence atmega 128 or any really

Go To Last Post
4 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

So I ordered a few external oclliators for my atmega 128.

The datasheet said load capacitence Cl should be within 6pf and 22pf

So my question: If i bought a resonator with a load capacitence to it already do i need the parallel caps in the circuit as atmel drew it?

For example I recently got
a

CTX401-ND CRYSTAL 3.6864 MHZ 20PF LOAD CAP

from digikey...and im trying to make sure I wire it up right when I get it

Normally, when you buy a CRYSTAL, they are telling you the required load capacitance.

You figure the required C value by subtacting about 7pf from the spec'd load due to the capacitance inside the IC. Then, you double the remainder and that gives you the C at each end of the crystal to ground.

Now, if you buy a 3 terminal ceramic resonator, it needs no external C. But that CTX401 crystal is just a plain crystal. It needs external caps.

And, by the way, this is not normally considered an "external oscillator". It is a crystal. An external osciallator is a complete circuit that oscillates on its own. It has a power and ground connection plus an output pin. There may be other terminals to tweak the frequency.

Jim

Until Black Lives Matter, we do not have "All Lives Matter"!

Go back to the DigiKey web site on your part number page. Follow the link in the “Technical/Catalog Information” row. This takes you to a DigiKey page with links to the crystal manufactures data sheets.

Read the ATMEL application note AVR042: AVR Hardware Design Considerations. This explains the load caps on the crystal:

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resourc...

Thanks!