Linearisation of thermocouples, RTD using MCP3426

Go To Last Post
7 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I am trying to develop a temperature indicator using ATmega16 uC & MCP3426 16-bit delta-sigma ADC.

The input to this indicator will be either be a thermocouple or RTD.

So can anyone suggest me a simple algorithm in C for linearising the thermocouples or RTD.  

Gaurav Gawade

Total votes: 2

This subject has been done to death. Surely a quick Google will give you the answers you seek. Add Arduino to the search to make it a bit more relevant.

Though this subject has been done to death, I still need some help as I'm not getting an idea of how to implement it.

Gaurav Gawade

RTD is inherently quite linear. Thermocouple much less so. But, with both you need much more than an ADC. With a thermocouple, you need something that is effectively the "cold junction". With RTD, you need some very stable resistors and very careful wiring. You could do a LOT worse than one the temperature sensor interface ICs made by (I think) Linear Tech, Analog Devices, or Maxim. These take care of linearization, cold junction "issues", and a lot more.

For thermistors, THE equation is known as "Hart and Steinhart Equation".

Jim

Until Black Lives Matter, we do not have "All Lives Matter"!

But how to write the algorithm for linearisation of thermocouples & RTD's using C?

Please help me in writing this algorithm as I'm not getting an idea of how to write it.

Gaurav Gawade

Last Edited: Tue. Jul 25, 2017 - 03:26 AM

Less than 10 seconds:

https://learn.adafruit.com/calib...

I Googles Arduino thermocouple linearisation

You do realise that Arduino is C/C++?

Thanks.

Gaurav Gawade