LCD supplier for ATMega169/329/649 project

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I'm considering a project that will require a simple, monochrome, 6-character, 7-segment LCD. The easy thing to do would be to use an intelligent LCD, but there's a minuscule chance I'll end up making several hundred of these things, so a smart display will be too expensive. A dumb display like the kind a 169/329/649 can drive would be the way to go, but I've never used such a display before and can't find many (I found some by Varitronix). Can anyone point me to some suppliers or distributors? Thanks.

DigiKey and Mouser shoud carry Varitronix, and maybe another brand or two.

With 6 characters, that's a lot of segments: 48. The '169 family doesn't have that many SEGnn pins (4x25). Neither does the centipede '3290/'6490 (4x40). So you need to pick a display model that has multiple commons (up to the 4 handled by the AVRs) and no more segments than can be handled.

Note that there are also 1x8 character LCDs, as well as 2x8. (We seem to end up with the 2x8 in designs regularly; not expensive and relatively small size.) You can also look at VFDs and others like OLED depending on the app requirements. You can get 7-segment LED modules, singly or in groups, and roll-your-own multiplexing.

For example, the 6-digit Varitronix models carried by DigiKey appear to have single-common and would be difficult/impossible with the AVRs. However, the 8-digit 153-1112 VIM-838-DP-RC-S-LV-6 has 3 commons & 24 segments/common (3x24) and would work with a '169. [Note that the '329 is less expensive than a '169.]

Display selection is a fun part of system design. ;)

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Depending on the app, maybe just use the Butterfly as a base and add your app circuitry? The LCD display should fit your requirements, already wired up and the driver and many offshoot apps are readily available, etc.

Lee

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.