ks0108 based 128 x 64 Graphics LCD

Go To Last Post
29 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I recently purchased a JE-AN 1286404 Graphics LCD on Ebay (like item 220155049478). Since the seller states he has a lot of these available, it may help to publish correct information on this display. The pin-out and Hantronix compatible model in the Ebay listing are wrong.
The good news is that the display works, see the attached JPG, though the backlight is a little uneven.

Attached is a pdf file with the CORRECT pinout for the JE-AN 1286404. Turns out that the Vcc and Gnd pins are exactly opposite to the layout shown in the Ebay listing.

This LCD is compatible with the Hantronix hdm64gs12l-4, NOT with the hdm64gs12l-5 as claimed. The hdm64gs12l-4 is currently being sold by Jameco, partnumber 658953. There is a correct datasheet available on the Jameco website.

Finally, there is a WINAVR library for this LCD available on the web:
[url] http://www.mikrocontroller.net/a... [/url]. This library works almost as-is (just set the proper port values in ks0108.h)

Hopefully this information is helpful. I'm hoping that the DB101 library will work for this display!

-Jan-
[url]www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClock.htm [/url]

Attachment(s): 

Turns out that the link to the Winavr library for this LCD display is an older one.
Attached is a more recent version

-Jan-
http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClock.htm

Attachment(s): 

Thanks for the info. I bought a couple of those, but I haven't started playing with them yet.

As part of my effort to correct wrong information, I informed the seller of these displays about the problem (in a nice and helpful way). This is the response:

Quote:
as we have allready sold over 3000 of these units using the diagram we allready have i will stick with that thanks

The seller Ebay Id is: CRYPTIENSIS
His email is: frtc@aol.com

I've found several other sites confirming my analysis and, of course, I made the display work, but his other clients are not complaining (don't take the trouble or give up on the display as broken), so no need to correct his INCORRECT info, must be his thinking.
Any opinions?

-Jan-
dutchtronix.com/ScopeClock.htm

Have him post a link to a project on avrfreaks using his display with proper code and schematic.

Imagecraft compiler user

This graphics display posted also looks a lot like the GDM12864H, as sold by SparkFun Electronics. But, not quite... But the same chip set...

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce...

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

Darn, I bought some of these a while back, the description by Criptiensys was this:

Quote:
A VERY HIGH RESOLUTION 128x64 DOT GRAPHIC LCD MODULE MADE BY JE-AN ELECTRONICS PART NO;1286404 it is the equivalent of the hantronix hdm64gs12l-5 and is driven by an onboard samsung kso108 controller chip.these would make ideal displays for microchip pic controllers, pinouts are as follows;

1=logic supply voltage (plus 5v)
2=ground
3=lcd driver voltage+13v
4=data or instruction
5=r/w select
6=enable signal
7-14=data bus line
15=chip selection segment driver 1
16=chip selection segment driver 2
17=reset signal
18=dc-dc convertor
19=led baclight anode
20=led backlight cathode

Check out my other items!Be sure to add me to your favorites list!CRYPTIENSIS 2004 ELECTRONIC SURPLUS

That's not at all the way it's described in the datasheet you provided. No wonder it didn't work at all. They where banned to somewhere in a box of odd components at the bottom of the stack, leaving me all frustrated and confused.

I can only hope the LCD isn't dead already because of faulty wiring.

Thank you very much for the help, I can now give another go at my abandoned project.

Sincere regards,
Steve

Now I have hooked up one of the displays that I bought a few weeks ago, and I can confirm that the pinout provided in this thread is correct. I'll e-mail the seller and confirm your (the OP) findings.

The display works as it should, and is quite readable without any backlight if the ambient light level is reasonable. The price is good ($11 - including shipping to Norway), but of course that doesn't help much if display fails to work due to incorrect connections.

Thanks Knut.

Please let us know how the seller responds. I forwarded the other post from one of his buyers to him but got no response.
He seems to have a very arrogant attitude and is still listing these displays on Ebay with the incorrect pinout.
Why someone would not want to help his customers is beyond me.

jrseattle
dutchtronix.com/ScopeClock.htm

So you know...

The pin-out that you have listed:

Quote:

2=ground
3=LCD driver voltage+13v
4=data or instruction
5=r/w select
6=enable signal
7-14=data bus line
15=chip selection segment driver 1
16=chip selection segment driver 2
17=reset signal
18=dc-dc converter
19=led backlight anode
20=led back light cathode

matches the pin-out for the CrystalFontz CFAG12864A series 128x64 graphics LCD displays.

This CrystalFontz display also uses the Samsung KS0108 same chip-set

I've attached a data-sheet for the display.

Attachment(s): 

You can avoid reality, for a while.  But you can't avoid the consequences of reality! - C.W. Livingston

Well, I have sent a message to the seller about the pinout of the display, so let's see if I'll get a response.

I also did a quick google search, and found several discussions on various boards (this one, among others) confirming the pinout provided by the OP. So, it's relatively easy to find the correct pinout, but who will google for the info already provided by the seller..? One would assume that the number of returning customers would increase significantly if the information provided actually is useable :?:

Yeah!!! exactly, i googled it only after trying it out every couple of months... if i connected it the wrong way , do u think it will still work?

El1m1nate wrote:
if i connected it the wrong way , do u think it will still work?

The easy way is simply to try it, I guess. As long as you got the power supply right (ie. not reversed), I would assume the likelihood of survival should be pretty good..?.. On one of the sites I found by Googling, a user reported to have blown one display in the process of a trial-and-error approach, but it all depends on how the pins were actually connected I assume.

If anybody want buy this display it might be a good idea to ask the seller to confirm the pinout. Speaking of which - I haven't received any answer from the seller regarding my error-report (including links to a handful of sites reporting similar problems) that I sent a week ago. And the display is still listed on e-bay with the incorrect pinout... I can understand that the seller might question a comment from one single buyer if he has allready sold a lot of these displays, but the number of similar findings - easily found on the Internet - should be difficult to ignore completely.

Too bad really; the displays work well (I have two of them in action) and the price is good. Normally I would have ordered a few additional displays for upcoming projects. And as I now know how to connect them, I could still do that, but I would prefer to deal with a seller who cares a bit. With the bewildering number of similar-but-still-not-the-same displays, it's understandable that a mistake can be made. Also, it's perfectly OK to be critical about my error report. But I think it's hard to ignore all the reports about the misleading information.

edit: typos

Oh, the seller writes "...would make ideal displays for microchip pic controllers...". I have hooked mine up to AVRs so maybe the pinout he provides works only with PICs :wink: :wink: :idea:

Im tring to use a picaxe for the job...will this work.

also, are cs1, cs2 and reset meant to be hept high or low to work [i dont know how to read the datasheet well. and also, how do i connect up the VEE -5v? and is usb power too much [ will it kill it]?

thanks

although... i dont think i can move to AVR's... yet! too costly, for me to break!

Just for the record, my "suggestion" that the sellers pinout should work only with PICs, was definitely a joke. The display doesn't care what controller it's connected to as long as the signals are correct. I don't know anything about picaxes - after all this is an AVR forum - but can't see why it shouldn't work provided you have enough I/O pins. CS1, CS2 and reset are active low, as indicated in the diagram provided by the OP. Ie. a low pulse on the reset pin will cause a reset. An active CS1 (ie. low) will make the left half of the display active, whereas an active CS2 will make the right half active. The OP's diagram also indicates how to connect VEE to the contrast control pin. USB power is 5V, so it should be OK. There's a lot of information about the KS0108 driver available; Google should find a lot of interesting stuff. Timing can be a bit critical, but my impression is that this display isn't too picky - I've tried to clock it rather aggressively without problems.

knutbr wrote:
An active CS1 (ie. low) will make the left half of the display active, whereas an active CS2 will make the right half active.

Not necessarily...

The GDM12864H graphics display as sold by Sparkfun Electronics, comes defaulted with CS1 controlling the Left half of the display and CS2 controlling the Right half of the display. But for the CrystalFonts CFAG12864B series graphics display, which uses the same controller, CS2 controls the Left side of the display while, CS1 controls the Right side of the display. This is confirmed on my bench thru experimentation.

The nice thing is, the GDM12864H display has "Split Pad " solder jumpers to switch the operation of CS1 & CS2, so the two manufacturers displays can become totally compatible with each other. I don't see any such CS1:CS2 jumper selection option on the CrystalFontz CFAG12864B series displays.

Just to add some more confusion...
KS0108 chip (one for each half of 128*64 LCD's) actually have three CS pins.

pin 90 = CS3
pin 91 = CS2B
pin 92 = CS1B

From KS0108 datasheet:
"In order to interface data for input or output
the terminals have to be CS1B=L CS2B=L CS3=H"

Thus leaving for LCD-manufacturer to decide if CS are to be active low or high.

Carl, off course you're right about the CS signals. My intention was just to illustrate that you actually have to deal with the two halves of the display separately. Sorry about any possible confusion about that. The good thing is, that if you should swap CS1 and CS2, the mistake is very easily recognized and equally easily corrected - just swap the definitions of the CS pins in software, and you should be back in business. That's what I did when my text strings started at the middle of the screen and continued from the left side :oops:

hi,

i know you mentioned it already - but the backlighting does look uneven & dim as well. is the 'dim-ness' just a function of your choice of a high backlight current limiting resistor or are you not actually using one? there has to be a reason he's dumping these out at $8 when the other asian ebay suppliers seem to need to get $15. or so - i've bought several 124x64 type units off ebay and have paid the higher $15 prices but the quality has been excellent. a dim / uneven display would not keep me happy.

Hi,

I just read this thread . Looks like the seller has updated his GLCD info. See Ebay sale 320222974592.
Now its :

A VERY HIGH RESOLUTION 128x64 DOT GRAPHIC LCD MODULE MADE BY JE-AN ELECTRONICS PART NO;1286404 it is the equivalent of the hantronix hdm64gs12l-5 and is driven by an onboard samsung kso108 controller chip.these would make ideal displays for microchip pic controllers, pinouts are as follows;
2=ground
3=contrast
4-11=data

....etc.

So Logic Supply and Ground are correct ???

The previous 13V on pin 3 looked creepy.... you didnt put 13V on it did you? No wonder it got hot! Pin 3 gets the wiper from the contrast pot... but does it need to go negative for this controller?? If the only issue with these things is a couple of backlight leds are dim or out, you can fix that.

Imagecraft compiler user

Good news indeed, now that the seller has fixed the published pinout of this device. It's a good deal, specially since this LCD generates its own negative voltage on pin 18 used to set the voltage.

Just be warned that the seller still claims the LCD is compatible with the hantronix hdm64gs12l-5 while in reality the LCD is compatible with the hantronix hdm64gs12l-4 (only last digit is different. One digit difference but completely different pinout, what was Hantronix thinking???

Here is a link to the correct pinout/hookup:

http://homepage.oniduo.pt/ad_tech/ARQUIVE/JEAN1286404.pdf

I'm also attaching a working WinAvr software library for ks0108 compatible LCDs.

jrseattle
oscilloscopeclock.com

Attachment(s): 

Thanks JRSeattle,
Now everything is confirmed. Thanks for your pinout chart.
Something else ...I mean the price is right also S&H ...but don't you guys think it's almost a little too small. I mean I compared it to my MikroElektronika GLCD (Blue backlight) and that one was way bigger.
Well I'm gonna hook it up first and see and take it from there...maybe it's just fine like that. The price definitely is.

hello am new am trying avr oscilloscope by vassilis pls help me i bought jhd12867e lcd but its nit working to the circuit suggestion are requested

can anyone suggest me a ks0108 based glcd brand or name or any info to trace one to me here in india

sresam89

If you don't stop cross posting and stick to one thread I will start deleting any future posts you make. One thread is quite sufficient for discussing your KS0108 problems.

Please stick to your thread

Cliff (moderator)

clawson wrote:
sresam89

If you don't stop cross posting and stick to one thread I will start deleting any future posts you make. One thread is quite sufficient for discussing your KS0108 problems.

Please stick to your thread

Cliff (moderator)

extremly sorry couldnt resist am in a hurry to finish ma work i cant do tat unless i figure out the availabilty for it here in india

Hello everyone...
thanks for the info on this thread
it's really help me much
I'm using ATmega16 + TS12864A-2
http://en.lcdstar.com/
now it's time develop my project...