JTAGICE mkII-CN firmware for AS 6.1.2562

Go To Last Post
10 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hello everyone, does anyone have the firmware that will allow one to use the debugger with AS 6.1.2562?

If it is not an Atmel product it will NOT work with AS6.x

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Quote:
it will NOT work with AS6.x

Any reference?

No RSTDISBL, no fun!

If you forge some dollar bills, you can sell them at less than a dollar.

If the U.S. treasury can detect that they are forgeries, they will probably introduce extra security features.

Your customers will then have difficulties using the counterfeit money.

Of course, if you are a 'nice' supplier, you will make some better forgeries and replace your customers useless ones.

Now swap "you" with "Chinese Clone maker".
They have already got your money. Do you think that they care if your clone no longer works?

David.

I presume the ICEmkII-CN is a legacy device? In this day and age the $99 Atmel ICE3 actually costs less than the ebay mkII clones.

Atmel seem to be having problems getting even their own debuggers to work with AS6 (6.1.2730 seems to have broken things!) so I don't think there's any hope whatsoever that a 3rd party device might accidentally start working.

I think you will have to stick with AS4.19 (assuming it even works there).

(you could, of course, use 6.1 to edit/build and even simulate the code then take the ELF to 4.19 for hardware debugging).

If the nice Chinese man had copied the Atmel JTAGICE-mkII exactly both hardware and firmware, it would update like the real thing.

OTOH, if they wrote their own firmware, only they can update it.

Since Atmel aren't very good at writing / updating their own firmware, you would need to be a very clever Chinaman to reproduce Atmel's mistakes. Anyway, they have already got your money. Why would they care ?

The JTAGICE-1 clones are exact copies. The Chinese clones should work / update just like the original Atmel JTAGICE-1.

The AVRISP-2 clones use Dean Camera's lookalike LUFA firmware. Since Dean (abcminiuser) is a jolly good chap, the LUFA code is public. So any updates will rely on Dean or the user community.

Of course, the AVRISP-2 is a simple device. AFIK, it works perfectly. So no updates are required.

AS6 is a constantly moving target. Atmel continually upgrade the tools to work with the changing AS6.

AS4 is never going to change. If your Chinese device works with AS4.19, you will just need to stick with AS4.19. It is probably more reliable than any AS5 or AS6 versions that have appeared so far.

David.

Quote:
Do you think that they care if your clone no longer works?

I was asking if you have some reference and not if the JTAGICEMk2-CN is cloned or not cloned.
The manufacturer's website shows something else.

Quote:
If the nice Chinese man had copied the Atmel JTAGICE-mkII exactly both hardware and firmware, it would update like the real thing.

mcuzone on front page wrote:
mkII-CN release new firmware to support ATMEL STUDIO 6.1.2562, available upon request
so I guess it is not cloned as JTAGICEMk1, otherwise there would be no point providing "parallel" firmware.

Quote:
I presume the ICEmkII-CN is a legacy device?

We will know that in no time because binaryavr is just mailing to mcu zone with request for a new AS-compatible firmware. And, being an active user recently, I bet s/he is going to provide a (short) report about overall customer experience (w.r.t. mentioned update).
5hisy

No RSTDISBL, no fun!

Last Edited: Fri. Nov 22, 2013 - 12:18 PM

Quote:

so I guess it is not cloned as JTAGICEMk1

No it's the one and only clone of JTAGICEmkII. When it was $115 and the real JTAGICEmkII was $299 it looked like a bargain. Now that Atmel have a real JTAGICE3 for $99 it looks like a pointless waste of money when you can buy the compatible, real thing for less.

Quote:
The JTAGICE-1 clones are exact copies.
Maybe because in the good ol' days Atmel made public the design of the Mk1.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Received latest firmware in about 24 hours, upgraded in literally 20 seconds, seems to be working fine.