Is it possible to use both ATmege-1284p's Timer-3 and SPI interface? at the same time?

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 1

Hello everyone,

While I am running out of timers, Timer-0,1,2, already in use, I see that there is yet another free one on ATmega-1284p resting on the same ports as the SPI interface does. PB6-PB7.

Before nosediving into a lot of work on setting -up these. Just want to make sure that there is a chance to use both.

Although I think it is not.

work in progress...

Last Edited: Tue. Mar 31, 2020 - 03:51 PM
Total votes: 0

You need to tell more.  What functions of a timer are you going to use?  A timer "uses" pins only if you connect the timer to its associated pin(s), or use a function that uses a pin.  Are you going to clock from T3?  Are you going to measure a signal on ICP3?  Are you going to produce a waveform on OC3x?

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

The plan is to setup this Timer for a time-base (milliseconds) for a measurement, CPU free timebase which can be accessed without disrupting CPU from its works. I do not need any physical pins of it. Just want to have a timebase relative to which my sensor is measuring the signal. That's it.

I plan to use SPI soon too, so would be nice to somehow trick this into working.

work in progress...

An interesting pinout diagram.  Us old guys with "Atmel" datasheet have an ICP3 function

So does the Microchip 2020 document

What datasheet are you using?

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

I have this datasheet from Atmel.

So basically, I can use the Timer-3 and SPI interface together, if I don't plan to output a wave on Timer-3 outputs. Interesting that in my datasheet there is no information about this ICP3 functionality.

Hmmm...

work in progress...