ISP trouble after migrating to M328P

Go To Last Post
8 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi Freaks,

I was using M48 for a long time now and I am using the STK500 to program this. It worked just great.

Now I moved to the M328P (which is supposed to be pin compatible with M48) and again used the STK500 to program this.

I chose the internal RC oscillator, unchecked the CLKDIV8 fuse and used 4kHz as my ISP programming frequency in AVRStudio.

When I programmed the chip, the erase went ok, it looked like it programmed the chip but once it was done programming, it gave me the Program error (the usual one where it asks you to check your connections, check ISP frequency,etc.) I get the same error when I do a verify.

I took the chip and put it on the breadboard and it looked like it was working ok. I just want to make sure if there would be any problems with this error appearing (any code reliability etc,) Should I bother fixing it? I would like to however time is very limited. (as usual)

Thanks.

npat_avr wrote:
Hi Freaks,

I was using M48 for a long time now and I am using the STK500 to program this. It worked just great.

Now I moved to the M328P (which is supposed to be pin compatible with M48) and again used the STK500 to program this.

I chose the internal RC oscillator, unchecked the CLKDIV8 fuse and used 4kHz as my ISP programming frequency in AVRStudio.

When I programmed the chip, the erase went ok, it looked like it programmed the chip but once it was done programming, it gave me the Program error (the usual one where it asks you to check your connections, check ISP frequency,etc.) I get the same error when I do a verify.

I took the chip and put it on the breadboard and it looked like it was working ok. I just want to make sure if there would be any problems with this error appearing (any code reliability etc,) Should I bother fixing it? I would like to however time is very limited. (as usual)

Thanks.

Have you changed the fuses?
Can you reprogram the device still?

I have am almost identical fault migrating from M88 to M88PA!
As soon as I change the fuses, I am unable to program the device again.
I suspect it might relate the the Ceramic Resonators I am using and will build a test board use the Crystal Oscillator. that appears to be one of the main differences betweenM88 and M88PA.

Sorry I can't help you but it is good to know I am not the only one with the problem.

Quote:
used 4kHz as my ISP programming frequency in AVRStudio.
That's FAR too LOW. Stick to about 125KHz, if that does not work nothing else will.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

I tried that too. I have tried all possible combinations i.e. setting/resetting the CLKDIV8 fuse, different oscillators and frequencies, programming frequencies, etc. With my M48, I had the CLKDIV8 fuse set, I was using the external 8MHz crystal option and I was using about 57 kHz as my ISP frequency, which worked just fine.

Another thing I noticed is when I program the M48 which works just fine and THEN put the M324P and program it, it programs just fine except for that error at the end. However when I start with the 324P it does not even start programming.

I don't understand why this is the case. Maybe the fuse settings, etc. that the M48 uses works for the M324P?

I am limping along with my 324P for now but I know down the line I am going to need crutches..

You're confusing matters by suddenly talking about a M324P, while you started out with a M328P!!!

Sorry that was a typo, I meant M328P. :)

There should be no mystery in this. You own an STK500. It can do high voltage parallel programming. That will allow you to read "damaged" fuses whatever you have done wrong. So read the fuses and find out what you did wrong then avoid doing that again in future (and while you are there reset the fuses to default to start over)

Thanks,Cliff.

I will try to use HV programming to see if this works.