ISP Mode Error in AVR Studio version 4.13

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hi guys,

I am facing some problems with my AVR Studio. I think I accidently clicked some fuse settings while programming the AVR. I get the following message while programming the AVR as seen from the attached screenshot.

Please help, I am unable to program anything now.
PS: I am using ISP to program my AVR and the development board I am using runs on a 16 MHz crystal.I even tried erasing the device bu I keep getting the errors:

Entering programming mode.. FAILED!
Leaving programming mode.. OK!

Thanks,
Sumair

Attachment(s): 

I don't have RAR, you can post the screen capture however as a JPG file.

Do you have the ISP frequency set correctly? Start with 125 or 250KHz. What chip are you using? You may have switched to external OSCILLATOR rather than external CRYSTAL oscillator, so you don't have a clock. Try and feed a 1MHz clock into xtal1.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

John, the picture is nothing more than the standard "1/4 speed" message.

Hi John,

You are right, I guess I must have checked that fuse bit while programming my AVR. Now I cannot use my ISP mode to program it. I contacted the guys from where I purchased my development board, and they said that I would either have to try paralle programming to set the fuse bits right or replace the AVR.

I don't have a signal generator to feed in a 1 MHz clock, but I guess I'll try constructing one with a 555 timer, and if it still does not work, then I guess I'll have to replace my AVR.

Thanks for the help :)
Sumair

Quote:
I don't have a signal generator to feed in a 1 MHz clock,
I have been successful with just 4096Hz from my multimeter's signal out and a 603Hz ISP frequency with the AVRISP :)

It can be pretty much anything as long as the programmer's ISP setting can be set at 1/4 or less than the clock.

Which programmer are you using?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

Hi John,

The programmer I am using is some off-shoot of the STK500. Well I replaced my AVR and I am able to program it again. I guess I screwed up my old AVR by selecting a wrong clock source through the fuses, which caused all this problem, so I won't be needing the alternative clock source now :)

Thanks,
Sumair