IoT Design Week 2020

Go To Last Post
116 posts / 0 new

Pages

Author
Total votes: 2

Hello AVR Freaks Community! 

IoT Design Week 2020 starts next week! This completely digital week will feature 7 IoT-related livestreams covering a variety of topics. We will have guests from Adafruit, Coto Technology, WebThings and more. Free samples will be available to claim during each livestream. 

Register here to be eligible for free samples. 

IoT Design Week 2020 Themes: 

Day 1 - Home Automation March 9, 2020

9am PT (17:00 CET): link - Smarter Homes Using Embedded Controls 

Free Sample: Home Automation Kit (5 available)

Day 2 - AI and Machine Learning March 10, 2020

9am PT (17:00 CET): link - Morning Session with Guests from Motion Gestures

3pm PT (23:00 CET): link - Afternoon Session with Guests from Adafruit 

Free Samples: SAMD21 Curiosity Nano (5 available, morning session), Adafruit EdgeBade TensorFlow Lite for Microcontrollers (5 available, afternoon session) 

Day 3 - IoT Security March 11, 2020

9am PT (17:00 CET): linkIoT Security: from Cloud to Edge, with Guests from Microsoft Azure 

Free Sample: Trust Platform Development Kit (10 available) 

Day 4 - Maker Day March 12, 2020 

9am PT (17:00 CET): link - Morning Session with Guest from Mozilla WebThings IoT 

1pm PT (21:00 CET): link - Afternoon Session, How to Create a BLE Air Quality Monitor with the Wizard of Make 

Free Sample: Arduino Nano 33 IoT (10 available, morning session), SAM D21 Curiosity Nano (5 available, afternoon session)

Day 5 - Low-Power Sensor Networks March 13, 2020

9am PT (21:00 CET): link - Design Considerations for Low-Power IoT Sensors with guests from Coto Technology 

Day 5 Grand Finale Giveaway: 

AVR Freaks Freebie 

So, if you have made it to the bottom of this post - CONGRATULATIONS! The first 5 people to reply to this post will get a FREE AVR-BLE development board*! 

AVR-BLE Development Board

The brand new AVR-BLE dev board (DT100111) contains an RN4870 BLE module, an ATmega3208 MCU, an accelerometer, temperature sensor and secure element. It is pre-configured to connect to a custom interface in the LightBlue app out-of-the-box. Check out the pinout/quick start guide here

See you at IoT Design Week!! 

*your reply should say something nice 

*certain countries are ineligible to receive development boards 

Last Edited: Fri. Mar 6, 2020 - 10:09 PM

rfreaks0131 wrote:
The first 5 people to reply to this post will get a FREE AVR-BLE development board*! 

I claim my prize!

laugh

Top Tips:

1. How to properly post source code - see: https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment... - also how to properly include images/pictures
  2. "Garbage" characters on a serial terminal are (almost?) invariably due to wrong baud rate - see: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/serial-communication
  3. Wrong baud rate is usually due to not running at the speed you thought; check by blinking a LED to see if you get the speed you expected
  4. Difference between a crystal, and a crystal oscillatorhttps://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...
  5. When your question is resolved, mark the solution: https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...
  6. Beginner's "Getting Started" tips: https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...

I claim mine....

Total votes: 1

Count me in

David (aka frog_jr)

rfreaks0131 wrote:
RN4870 BLE module,

Ooh look - an 8051!

Top Tips:

1. How to properly post source code - see: https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment... - also how to properly include images/pictures
  2. "Garbage" characters on a serial terminal are (almost?) invariably due to wrong baud rate - see: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/serial-communication
  3. Wrong baud rate is usually due to not running at the speed you thought; check by blinking a LED to see if you get the speed you expected
  4. Difference between a crystal, and a crystal oscillatorhttps://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...
  5. When your question is resolved, mark the solution: https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...
  6. Beginner's "Getting Started" tips: https://www.avrfreaks.net/comment...
Total votes: 0

awneil wrote:
Ooh look - an 8051!

I keep thinking that it will finally go away;

however, it just keeps on going and going...

David (aka frog_jr)

Neat! I'll certainly follow it, but count me out for the module, the commenter below probably needs it more than i do :)

OK, count me in please. And thank you for the opportunity.

Ross McKenzie ValuSoft Melbourne Australia

Last Edited: Sat. Mar 7, 2020 - 01:55 AM

Too late to hope for a nice AVR-BLE board? smiley

Guys it's a VIRTUAL seminar so you only get a virtual board...... devil

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

js wrote:

The best kind of board! Zero hardware problems wink

js wrote:

That's OK... some will only be virtually watching I suspect.

rfreaks0131 wrote:

Day 1 - Home Automation March 9, 2020

9am PT (17:00 CET): link - Smarter Homes Using Embedded Controls 

Free Sample: Home Automation Kit (5 available)

Day 2 - AI and Machine Learning March 10, 2020

9am PT (17:00 CET): link - Morning Session with Guests from Motion Gestures

3pm PT (23:00 CET): link - Afternoon Session with Guests from Adafruit 

Free Samples: SAMD21 Curiosity Nano (5 available, morning session), Adafruit EdgeBade TensorFlow Lite for Microcontrollers (5 available, afternoon session) 

Day 3 - IoT Security March 11, 2020

9am PT (17:00 CET): linkIoT Security: from Cloud to Edge, with Guests from Microsoft Azure 

Free Sample: Trust Platform Development Kit (10 available) 

Day 4 - Maker Day March 12, 2020 

9am PT (17:00 CET): link - Morning Session with Guest from Mozilla WebThings IoT 

1pm PT (21:00 CET): link - Afternoon Session, How to Create a BLE Air Quality Monitor with the Wizard of Make 

Free Sample: Arduino Nano 33 IoT (10 available, morning session), SAM D21 Curiosity Nano (5 available, afternoon session)

Day 5 - Low-Power Sensor Networks March 13, 2020

9am PT (21:00 CET): link - Design Considerations for Low-Power IoT Sensors with guests from Coto Technology 

Very nice,If you sent it to me then I'm going to pass it at University or college here.They in IoT like that.

Since Corona Virus spread,I didn't fly there.But If there,surely just Day 1 for attendant cause my "IoT scenario" simple.

JSB

Youtube stream said there were 5 more avr ble boards! Yes please!!!
I'm currently designing a low powered sensor that will communicate via BLE, so will be good to be able to evaluate this module!!!

Last Edited: Tue. Mar 10, 2020 - 08:55 PM

When will the be available on microchipdirect.com?

I've been waiting for a BLE option from AVR/MICROCHIP.

OUNavCon

I'll take one.

I'll take one! I think this is the post you mentioned in your livestream.. 

Thanks!

Hi everyone, 

I mentioned this on the livestream, but I'm going to extend the free samples to 15 available. Just a forewarning - this means I need to order more so there might be a slight delay. I'll reach out to the recipients after IoT Week to get your contact info. 

Thanks! 

Rachel 

@ounavcon Yes! These are available on microchip direct https://www.microchipdirect.com/product/DT100111 

But I'll also send you a free one for commenting on this thread. I will reach out to you at the end of the week to get your contact details! 

Rachel and team,

Thank you for putting this together and for offering the free samples - Much appreciated !

Good luck with the rest of the series.

Last Edited: Mon. Mar 9, 2020 - 09:04 PM

I registered for the IoT event and also saw that this was the place to get the free sample.  If you still have any left, I would like one, please.  I've been hoping Microchip would get more of a presence in this market.

Thanks!

I'll take one - if 15 isn't hit yet

/Bingo

If there are any FREE AVR-BLE development boards left, I'd sure like to have one!

Thanks!

Hey guys! 

We released a new dev board today - AVR-IoT WA for AWS cloud! Read more about it here: https://www.microchip.com/design-centers/internet-of-things/amazon-web-services/simple-low-power-edge-nodes 

It has a ATMega4808 MCU, a ATECC608A secure element that is provisioned for AWS, a WINC1500 Wi-Fi module, temp and light sensors and more. It's very simple to get started, and works with AWS shadow services .

I'll announce this on the livestream today, but I have ordered 15 for the AVR Freaks community. If you want one, comment below and indicate you want the AVR-IoT WA*. I'll DM you at the end of the week to get your details. 

Thanks! 

Rachel 

*your reply should say something nice 

*if you are experimenting with our different architectures, just let me know and I can swap it out for the PIC version 

Hi Rachel and the team.

Thank you very much for your time and efforts to put this all together. The community most certainly appreciates it.

If available, I will take one of the AVR-IoT WA.

We look forward to the rest of the series.

John.

Last Edited: Tue. Mar 10, 2020 - 04:41 PM

I would love the AVR-IoT WA!!! Please!!!
It'll go very well with the AVR BLE board as well for the project im working on.

Im wanting to collect low power sensor data, and send that via BLE to a central base station to then send it up to the cloud! so the AVR BLE will let me test out the BLE functions, and then with the AVR IoT i can send the data to AWS (which we are already using for the android and iOS apps) so couldnt have been a better combo for me!!

Todays stream was also useful to potentially use gestures in the device using an IMU to have some inputs for setup or pairing etc. Definitely something to consider

Thank you!

Last Edited: Tue. Mar 10, 2020 - 06:23 PM

I'm excited for this offering. Many businesses want AWS since it fits into their existing cloud platform.

I'd like to have one of the  AVR-IoT WA, please.

OUNavCon

I would like one too!

I've used AWS for a while now and this AVR-IoT for AWS looks like it would be a great board for my next project. I'd like one!

Loved the livestream today, by the way.

I will take one of those AWS boards if still available

I will definitely take an AWS board if available!!!

Could I have one of those AVR-IoT WA boards please? Thanks!

I am also interested in all other IoT freebies that you may have, if they are still available.

BTW the Motion Gestures demo was very cool!

Last Edited: Tue. Mar 10, 2020 - 07:30 PM

I would like a  AVR-IoT WA* board as well.  I know I chimed in yesterday for the AVR-BLE board but I'm totally up for demoing more than one model you have :-)

Definitely interested in any and all of the IoT boards wink

If any left I will be really happy to receive a AVR-BLE board with it's shinny origami box. 

Also thanks a lot for your efforts Rachel and the team.

Last Edited: Tue. Mar 10, 2020 - 09:15 PM

BTW the Motion Gestures demo was very cool!

Can it keep up with Italian gestures or is a bigger processor required?

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

And after Conte's lockdown I bet there are plenty of gestures in Italy. Maybe some will even use more than one finger on each hand.

Pity that my idea involves at least four.

It seems to me that one could, using signal rec'd levels, use some trick geometry to locate in space every node.  For example:

Item A broadcasts, "I am A."

Item B then broadcasts, "I am B, and I heard A with a signal strength of 5*".

Item A then notes that it heard B with a signal strength of only 4, and concludes that A's transmitter is slightly more powerful.

Item C then broadcasts, "I am C, and I heard A with a strength of 6 and I heard B with a strength of 3".

Therefore, since they're all paying attention, it is now clear that C is closer to A than B is, and that it's farther away from B than A is.  This, in two-dimensional space (and integer units), indicates only (at most) two possible locations for C.  To resolve which one's which, you need Item D, that does the same, and so also locates itself.  And around we go again, with A providing a list of what it heard at what signal level.

All this is relative, of course, and not really paying attention to transmitter strengths, but given a known baseline between A and B it's not too hard to calculate where C and D are.  Then you include also Item E, which is defined as mobile, and locates itself based simply on the signal strengths of the known mesh...  You'll need a few more to get it squared away in 3D, and this is overlooking signal attenuation that might be in the way, but it gives you a local in-house IOT way of measuring the locations of every mobile unit.  "Item K has just fallen down the well again.  Illuminate the 'Alert Lassie' LED"....

S.

* Signal strengths normalized to cheerful integers.

Very nice,AVR-IoT WA

It look my university\collage like it.

Can it keep up with Italian gestures or is a bigger processor required? It sure Banglades way is better

JSB

Last Edited: Wed. Mar 11, 2020 - 06:16 AM

Yes, Count me in, please.

Hey Everyone, 

Today is IoT Design Week security day. We'll be live in about an hour with Microsoft Azure to talk about IoT security from cloud to edge. 

You can tune in and be one of the first ten people to fill out the survey link to claim a free CryptoAuth Trust Platform Development Kit (DM320118)

But because we are getting CREATIVE we are also offering the opportunity for you guys to get a free development kit* by commenting on this thread with your best IoT Security haiku. 

As a reminder, a Haiku is a short, three-phrase poem following a 5-7-5 syllable pattern. Here's a Wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha...

Here's my IoT Security Haiku: 

Strong security 
Is critical to have for 
IoT systems 

Ok… I know… that wasn't very creative - hoping you guys will raise the bar with your responses! 

You have until 10:15am PT / 18:15 CET today (11 March 2020) to respond. 

Thanks everyone & Happy IoT Design Week! 
Rachel 

*you can choose if you want the CryptoAuth Trust Platform development kit, or a different secure kit (like AVR-IoT WA/ AVR-IoT WG/ AVR-BLE / one of these in PIC ) just let me know when I DM you 
*while supplies last 

Sensitive data
where you seek for protection
against hackers

Last Edited: Wed. Mar 11, 2020 - 03:02 PM

Security, Hmm...

An Intrusion Detected,

Still IoT safe.

David (aka frog_jr)

Use TLS for
excellent security
not any plaintext

authentication
ensuring right user is at
decryption

Microchip dev board?
Very very enticing.
Can I have one please?

Secure IoT
Microchip will keep you safe
Claiming my third board

Would be greatful to have one AVR-BLE dev board.

Vaishnav

IOT is great

Security is very hard

Microchip please help

I think that is a valid one!

Please count me in for giveaways.

Naveen

Meandering thoughts
How security runs right