I'M BACK!... [need recommend dev board - STK500 perhaps?]

Go To Last Post
8 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Hey guys, its been a long time since I have posted on this forum....BUT, im thinking of making a return to micros.

So I was having a look on the atmel website for a development kit. I have an STK-500 laying around but was wondering if there is anything more updated that people are using, maybe USB based? Or have i still got the most used decice with the STK?

Welcome back..Mr Cotter... :-)

The STK500 is as good as it ever was if you just want to use the chips it supports. The SK600 is a newer, USB, version.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

I might have a look into that. I guess if i just plan to use the same chips though, there would be no point forking out the extra mullah. Ill just try and dig up my usb serial adapter. Thanks for the reply superfreak

There are relatively new USB families, megaXXU4 and others in its family and the Xmega32A4U ( and others in its family ) . The Xmega has interesting new features, that include a ( cycle-stealing ) 4-CH DMA .

Dean Camera's(abcminiuser) "LUFA" is software for working with USB-ready MCUs and works with both of those families .

Welcome back .

1) Studio 4.18 build 716 (SP3)
2) WinAvr 20100110
3) PN, all on Doze XP... For Now
A) Avr Dragon ver. 1
B) Avr MKII ISP, 2009 model
C) MKII JTAGICE ver. 1

I sent a PM to Dean the other day actually, I hear he is working over in norway now :) and not to mention he has been working on a zillion new projects...I'll take a look at this "LUFA" project of his...I'm sure it will be nothing short of brilliant!

Just to mention that in your absence a little thing called "Arduino" has occurred. It's often a very quick way to get started if you don't mind being tied to the specific processor it contains (often mega328). The upsides are a well designed board, all IO easily accessible, USB cable only programming and, of course, the all important LED (for flashing purposes!).

Arduino is accompanied by an IDE and a rich support library but nothing says you need be tied to using these if you are beyond the beginner's realm.

Welcome back! I've got a billion emails still to respond to, and your PM was one of them. So much has happened in the last few years; I started work at Atmel after an internship, Cliff hit a trillion billion posts here and the new XMEGA chips were released, then re-released with new families and USB added. AVRStudio 4 was replaced with AVRStudio 5, and now Atmel Studio 6 with integrated ARM support. Cats became friends with dogs, hotdogs have rained from the sky and Leon gave away all his PIC tools.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

Quote:
Leon gave away all his PIC tools

On the inside of my eyelids I have animated images of animals-that-are-to-be-bacon aviating...

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]