How to program an external crystal osicalator for atmega 1281, simulate on proteus

Go To Last Post
11 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Creating a stopwatch and want to measure the time more accurately, no matter what frequency is used(8MHz. 4MHz,2MHz,1MHz) there are always errors with the real-time, already connected the 8MHz crystal, 2, 20pF cap to XTAL1, and XTAL2, but have no idea about how to configured the fuses thing for 8MHz.

PS: can't use 8MHz, it says excessive cps load error on Proteus

Imanka Priyasad Amarakoon

I think you would more likely get an answer here:

https://support.labcenter.com/fo...

As mentioned, if you want to know what a "cps load" is, you have to ask Proteus support.  [I'd wager an 8MHz setup is achievable.]

But to answer your primary question(s) you need to give more information.  What accuracy and resolution are you trying to achieve?  How are you "tripping" the start/stop?   What are these "errors", and how large are they?

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.

Thanks

I want to use the 8MHz clock with more accuracy, can make it more accurate by changing the OCR1A value but instead, I want to use an external clock source with the real value

currently, I'm using 8MHZ, 8-bit prescaler ,  and OCR1A=1000, 

You did not answer any of the questions:

theusch wrote:
you need to give more information. What accuracy and resolution are you trying to achieve? How are you "tripping" the start/stop? What are these "errors", and how large are they?

I don't see how OCR1A might be involved in a timing app.  ICR1 (input capture) can get you down to a single AVR clock resolution, properly done.  Trapping TCNT1 on an edge event will get you to a few dozen AVR clock cycles.

I want to count passing of 1 millisecond and to fire an interrupt at passing of every millisecond,

used F_CPU 4 MHz. clock_Pre_scaler(2),     its 37 second delay for 1 min

IMA wrote:
I want to count passing of 1 millisecond and to fire an interrupt at passing of every millisecond,

I don't understand.  What does that have to do with a stopwatch function?

I realize that there is a language barrier, but you must describe your situation and needs in much more detail.

Thank you very much for replying.

Basically i want to configure a timer and enable  to fire an interrupt( timer1_Compare_Vector) at every millisecond so i can use it to calculate passing of seconds, minutes and hours,

have managed to do that but the accuracy is really low, with my stopwatch and a real one there is 10-20 seconds delay, one i created is running slower than a real one,

the higher the frequencies i use the error rate of the stopwatch is also high, with F_CPU 1 MHz i manged to get the most accurate one that also have 10 seconds delay

Thanks again

This is running in the simulator and not on real hardware correct?

If so, you need to seek help with the simulator from labcenter!

Jim

Click Link: Get Free Stock: Retire early!

share.robinhood.com/jamesc3274

Yes it is simulated,

so there is a time difference between real one and simulated one? this is my 1st project so have no idea about these things

Thanks for replying