How to hack my TFT LCD for use?

Go To Last Post
19 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Hi guys
I have a TFT LCD of China IPhone that i want to hack for use by Atmega32 but I don't know to do this job!
Now, I will to help me!
several picture of it:

:D

In The last picture you can see model of LCD.

"One's value is inherent; money is not inherent"

 

Chuck, you are in my heart!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Hi ...
Visit the following link.

www.flickr.com/maan2k

imran

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

maan wrote:
Hi ...
Visit the following link.

www.flickr.com/maan2k

imran

Thanks imran for answer but the link is useless!
because it just has picture.
My big problem is that i can't find datasheet of LCD. How to find type pins?(VCC,GND,...)
Do you have any idea?

"One's value is inherent; money is not inherent"

 

Chuck, you are in my heart!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I think you going to find this is a raw panel requiring a very highspeed PCLK together with Hsync and Vsync (and data presented at the right time against the PCLK. With so many connecting wires it is very unlikely that is has an on-board intelligent controller and just a simple data interface. The chances are the SoC of the phone contains a panel controller.

If the goal here is really to add a TFT to an AVR then look for a thread by David.Prentice from about a week ago. I found a very interesting looking panel on ebay that is only £4.68 (about $7).

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

clawson wrote:
I think you going to find this is a raw panel requiring a very highspeed PCLK together with Hsync and Vsync (and data presented at the right time against the PCLK. With so many connecting wires it is very unlikely that is has an on-board intelligent controller and just a simple data interface. The chances are the SoC of the phone contains a panel controller.

If the goal here is really to add a TFT to an AVR then look for a thread by David.Prentice from about a week ago. I found a very interesting looking panel on ebay that is only £4.68 (about $7).

Thanks mr.clawson
I can find the profile of David but, i can't find the thread of David. the searcher of forum is very bad and old for search.
Can you put link of ebay panel & David thread's here?

"One's value is inherent; money is not inherent"

 

Chuck, you are in my heart!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

The specified topic by david.prentice TFT Colour LCD controllers with SPI interface

The ebay panel link 3.2" QVGA[240x320] 262k TFT-LCD module with touch panel

Note that the ebay panel has a 16-bit 262k color interface (internally jumper selected) - you're stuck with that!
The other interface options of the controller/driver e.g. 8-bit 65k or 262k color cannot be used.

To do the 16-bits you'll need either two 8-bit ports or one 8-bit port and a latch.

Another ebay link 2.4 inch TFT LCD Module Screen 240 x 320 Pixels ILI9325 Arduino Compatible

This one may have an 8-bit interface.

Stan

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

maan wrote:
The price with one carrier board is US$500.
:shock:

/Jakob Selbing

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

sbennett wrote:
The specified topic by david.prentice TFT Colour LCD controllers with SPI interface

The ebay panel link 3.2" QVGA[240x320] 262k TFT-LCD module with touch panel

Note that the ebay panel has a 16-bit 262k color interface (internally jumper selected) - you're stuck with that!
The other interface options of the controller/driver e.g. 8-bit 65k or 262k color cannot be used.

To do the 16-bits you'll need either two 8-bit ports or one 8-bit port and a latch.

Another ebay link 2.4 inch TFT LCD Module Screen 240 x 320 Pixels ILI9325 Arduino Compatible

This one may have an 8-bit interface.

Stan

Thanks Stan for links!
I hope that i can to use my LCD.
:)

"One's value is inherent; money is not inherent"

 

Chuck, you are in my heart!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

jaksel wrote:
maan wrote:
The price with one carrier board is US$500.
:shock:

:lol:

maybe he mistake in type!(LoL)

"One's value is inherent; money is not inherent"

 

Chuck, you are in my heart!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:

I hope that i can to use my LCD.

Almost certainly not.
Quote:

maybe he mistake in type!

No mistake. It is very complex to setup a controller to drive a raw panel like this if you don't use an SoC with an LCD panel controller. I could well believe someone could easily charge $500 if they were producing such a device in low quantities as there'd be a lot of development cost to amortise.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

clawson wrote:
Quote:

I hope that i can to use my LCD.

Almost certainly not.
Quote:

maybe he mistake in type!

No mistake. It is very complex to setup a controller to drive a raw panel like this if you don't use an SoC with an LCD panel controller. I could well believe someone could easily charge $500 if they were producing such a device in low quantities as there'd be a lot of development cost to amortise.

AWOOO Yeah!

"One's value is inherent; money is not inherent"

 

Chuck, you are in my heart!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Rohalamin wrote:
maan wrote:
Hi ...
Visit the following link.

www.flickr.com/maan2k

imran

Thanks imran for answer but the link is useless!
because it just has picture.
My big problem is that i can't find datasheet of LCD. How to find type pins?(VCC,GND,...)
Do you have any idea?

Hi Every body ... :D :D :D :D :D

the mentioned price of US$500 is for the hacking kit with 1 carrier board.

and I have also hacked more then 25 TFTs of Chinese clone cell phones and I am using these chinese lcds in commercial products . :mrgreen:

Here are few images of some developments across 240x400 and 240x320 chinese LCDs which i can buy 100s from local shops :mrgreen: .

And for your Iphone Chinese LCD ,, I want to know the number of pins of FPC ,the close-up images of the fpc from both sides and the part no.. thats all .. :wink:

I have ready software written in WinAVR for this LCD . I will charge us$250 for the full working codes along with the pinouts.

Cheeeeers ... :D :D :D :D :D

imran

Attachment(s): 

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

If you look on Ebay, you can see TFT modules that have hobbyist friendly 2.54mm headers on a pcb. And you find bare modules that just have the fine-pitch flex ribbon cable.

You can also find adapter pcbs that you can attach the bare modules to. These probably contain voltage regulators and level shifter chips. If you work at 2.5V or 3.3V, these may not be needed.

If you can recognise your bare module, you can do everything yourself. i.e. attach to a base board and write the driver software.

Although every driver chip seems to have different configuration registers, it is mostly just initialising from a table of values. e.g. ILI9325 is very common, ILI9320, ILI9327, SSD1289 etc use different table.

Once initialised, most chips work the same way. e.g. setting colour, pixel address etc.

If you can't recognise your module, I suggest that you take up Imran's offer. He appears to have the practical experience.

Of course the whole procedure is only worthwhile if you are selling thousands of these modules.
If you just want 'one' as a hobbyist, Ebay is your cheapest source of 'usable' displays.

Even from Ebay, you may need to do some modifications. i.e. they are often cheap because someone made a design error. e.g. I have one 'nice' board but the SD card was wired incorrectly.

Incidentally, once you have 'guessed' the pin-out, most driver chips will report an ID code when asked.

David.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

A TFT Display Joint to an AVR microcorntroller is a big Job. This is reasoned by the 3 Bit planes that a TFT will be have to be supported. This needs speed and Memory capabilities that an 8 Bit processor does not have. Well, it's amazing what a modern mcu makes it possible to do, but this is limited, too.
If a TFT Need to much time for a refresh, it unhandy. An TFT Display with higher Resolution Looks great, but the required a huge anmount of resources. I have used a 2.8" TFT joint on a 16Mhz ATmega16. The Display refresh time is in aceptable time but the resource consumption to Support the ILI9325 Chip of TFT is huge. Extensive program code is impossible to fit and run on that plateform.
I use actually a ARM Cortex-M3/M4 variants in combination with 7" TFT Displays. The SPeed of the MCU is 120Mhz and the Display is Memory mapped instead Port-Bit Bang. The result is a fast and usable Display with much place in memory space and CPU power to do complex Jobs like FFT.
Use the right MCU for the right Job. ATMEGA MCU are small, fast and simple in usage and as DIP available. A good choice to do many things. Driving a IPHONE TFT is not the right Job for it.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

It depends on what you want it for.

Just writing text or graphics is well within the power of the AVR. Displaying an album of still photos from an SD card is fine.

Displaying a movie is asking too much.

I agree that the parallel interfaces take a lot of pins. I also agree that the AVR will be pretty busy when drawing.

David.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Hi imran & thanks for your help!
well,
I disconnected the lcd from mobile and i take several picture of front & back of it.
So, it has 37(main) + 2(ground in sides). 1 pin of pins no connected then, Indeed it has 36 pin. i show 2*Gnd and disconnect pins in pictures. if you want to see pictures in large size, you should right click on picture and save in your pc and see.(the size of picture is very large but in forum is small)

Two last picture of your pictures is very like my lcd(SNIFFER-02.jpg & SNIFFER-03.jpg). can you to give me types of pins?

"One's value is inherent; money is not inherent"

 

Chuck, you are in my heart!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Rohalamin wrote:
Two last picture of your pictures is very like my lcd(SNIFFER-02.jpg & SNIFFER-03.jpg). can you to give me types of pins?

Hi Rohalamin ...

contact me on my email ID. elect_design_eng@yahoo.com

imran

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Another option is to buy e.g. DK-LM3S9D96 from Texas Instruments:
http://www.ti.com/tool/dk-lm3s9d...
I used the predecessor (DL-LM3S9B96) and it's an incredibly capable little kit.

But then you'd miss out on all the fuun and joy of hacking ;)

/Jakob Selbing

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Thanks jakob!
I want that use the lcd without pay any money!

"One's value is inherent; money is not inherent"

 

Chuck, you are in my heart!