How do I use STK500 to restore 90S8515 to factory settings?

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I messed up and had the wrong device selected while trying to load some code. This has resulted in my 90S8515 device going AWOL.

I have tried using the Parallel High Voltage programming and while this lets me erase the device, clear the lockbits, and enable SPI, the chip itself still doesn't seem to work properly.

After doing the above, I still can't get the STK500 to display any fuse settings for clocks and the like. In HV programming mode, the only fuses being shown are to enable SPI and short startup time. Selecting these options along with Mode 1 on the lockbits (no protection) still gives me errors when I try to use the normal SPI mode after a power-cycle and restarting the programmer. I'm guessing it is something to do with the various clock fuses being wrong, but I cant find anywhere to reset them as they don't display. I am using AVR Studio 4.10

Is there a way to restore the 90S8515 to the factory defaults using the STK500 ?
If so, any pointers or links to a How-To would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, I pulled out my Universal Programmer and put the 90S8515 in to it. Using this programmer, I was able to reset the device to what I think are the factory defaults.

Since doing this, I have been able to program a couple of simple programs into the 90S8515 using the 6-pin ISP header on the STK500 and they work.

However, I still get some errors when selecting the Fuses and LockBits tabs in the STK programmer software. I haven't used this for quite a while and it looks as though these might be normal, although I can't remember seeing them before.

The errors are basically pop-up windows telling me that a problem occured. The history window is saying that the device does not support Serial Readback. Are these normal ?

Sorry if this sounds really stupid, but after programming the wrong stuff and messing the chip up, I'm a little paranoid that I've overlooked something. I would really appreciate a sanity check that everything looks okay.

Double check all of your STK500 jumper settings and make sure you have everything set up for how you're programming.

-Curiosity may have killed the cat
-But that's why they have nine lives