How to calibrate a Fluke 189?

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Anybody have any idea how to calibrate a Fluke 189? I just noticed the other day that the mv readings are slightly off. According to page 91 of the manual, in the 50.000mv range it should be good to 0.1% +-20 counts (correct me if I'm misreading that). I was measuring the input offset of an OA and read it as, I believe, -1.5mv in one direction and +0.9mv in the other direction (as in, I flipped the leads). So it looks like it is a bit out of calibration. Is this very fixable? I can't find instructions anywhere regarding how to calibrate my meter. I did notice that the manual claims that you can calibrate it without opening it, so that's cool.

Did you not find this ? It is mentioned in the same web page as the User Manual you've referened.

http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Support/Manuals/default.htm?ProductId=56041 This page contains an option to download the "Calibration Manual"

-- Nigel

N.Winterbottom wrote:
Did you not find this ? It is mentioned in the same web page as the User Manual you've referened.

http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Support/Manuals/default.htm?ProductId=56041 This page contains an option to download the "Calibration Manual"

-- Nigel

Hah - I just googled for a while and didn't turn up anything. I did look on the Fluke website where I found the manual, but I had not seen the page that you linked to. Thanks!

Now to figure out how to make a good DC reference...

Hi,

You can download the calibration manual from Fluke. If you need it let me know and I'll PM it to you.

The problem with calibrating this meter is that it has a 47 step calibration process - it isn't just adjusting a simple pot inside. You will likely have to send it to a company that can perform Fluke calibrations.

This is one of the reasons I prefer older Flukes although with that said I have a pair of 189's that are my workhorses used daily.

Good luck,

Alan

Many IC MFR.s have precision voltage refrences in to92 and IC packages in various grades.

Most can be had as a free sample ;)

I would rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed - Fortune Cookie

"The critical shortage here is not stuff, but time." - Johan Ekdahl

"Step N is required before you can do step N+1!" - ka7ehk

"If you want a career with a known path - become an undertaker. Dead people don't sue!" - Kartman

"Why is there a "Highway to Hell" and only a "Stairway to Heaven"? A prediction of the expected traffic load?"  - Lee "theusch"

Speak sweetly. It makes your words easier to digest when at a later date you have to eat them ;-)  - Source Unknown

Please Read: Code-of-Conduct

Atmel Studio6.2/AS7, DipTrace, Quartus, MPLAB, RSLogix user