Hesitant to switch from AS4 to AS6.1/.2

Go To Last Post
10 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I've been using 4.18 for a few years now and it's been working fine. I do mostly 8-bit stuff with Tinys and Megas. But I'm thinking of upgrading to 6.1/6.2 since I want to getting into AVR32s and ARMs. But reading in this thread I see that some of my C code written for existing projects may not be "compatible" with 6.x.
An example; the use of PROGMEM. I read in one post that AS handles PROGMEM differently now and I would have to change my code in existing projects.

What sort of other "growing pains" can I expect if I make the move from AS4 to 6.x?

Thanks in advance.

Jim M., Rank amateur AVR guy.

All that's changed with PROGMEM is that it (rightly) requires "const". There's a strong chance you were doing this anyway.

Also the newer compiler has __flash which is much better.

Oh. When you put it that way. That isn't too bad. I'll look into __flash too.
What else have you seen that might bite me?

Anyway you can have to AVR studio 4 and Studio 6.1 in the same PC. I had 3 of them, 4,5,6 in my PC. :D :)

If you just use the compiler from Atmel Studio (and why would you? If so just install the standalone version) then it's just the const requirement on PROGMEM variables and the removal of the ye olde SIGNAL() macros. The compiled binary size will differ, due to the significant compiler changes in the last few years, but if it compiles it should still work fine.

For Atmel Studio 6.x, it can run alongside AVRStudio 4 just fine. It's a lot larger and slower than AS4 due to the new featureset but as long as your computer isn't ancient and your internet provided by dialup, it should be a good improvement for you.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

I think I'm going to jump in. I also see that I can set the "flavour" for the project and still use WinAVR20100110 if I so chose. I was wondering if the 2 versions would cause USB driver ir AVRISP MkII firmware version problems.

My workshop machine is a 4 core, 3.2GHz, WinXP, with 2GB ram. I've been toying with the idea of going up to 4-8GB and Win 7 x64.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:

I was wondering if the 2 versions would cause USB driver ir AVRISP MkII firmware version problems.

That would be the concern but Atmel's release notes for the most recent AS6.2 Beta assure the user that the drivers will still work with 4.x

Drivers (Jungo in this case) should be compatible. Only thing is of course firmware, which might need to be downgraded for studio 4.

:: Morten

(yes, I work for Atmel, yes, I do this in my spare time, now stop sending PMs)

I just upgraded the firmware on the MkII per AS6.1, and 4.18SP3 can still talk to it and program the device. Of course it doesn't like when 4.18 and 6.1 are both running at the same time.

OK. I'm up on 6.2 now with just issues around getting used to the UI. I added a flavour for WinAVR to AVR 8 bit and now I can compile with either to make sure I'm not just screwing something up.