Help with a spasming STK500 [SOLVED]

Go To Last Post
6 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Just received an STK500 (well had it a while, but only used it 2 times) and the first day all is great. I have fun and all. By the next time I use it, its freaking out. I never messed with anything, just ran 2 BASIC programs. The status led will either:
1. only turn red. (60% of the time)
2. not light up at all. (37% of the time)
3. works for a short period of time (3% of the time)
yeah... I just came up with the figures. :P

and I know I am fine with the supply because its a 12V 1A wall wart.

sooooo. I don't want this to be a $70 waste -_- (never really been used)

So, what do I do???? Are there causes and fixes?

I use AVR Studio 4

Thanks,
Twist.

Last Edited: Tue. Aug 18, 2009 - 12:33 AM

Quote:

I am fine with the supply because its a 12V 1A wall wart

Not all wall-warts are born equal. Is this a regulated one?

You could use the STK500 schematics to work out a measurement point after thepower inlet but before the on-board regulators and check with a multimeter that the wall-wart actually delivers 12 Volts when connected to the AVR.

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Unplug any chips that you may have plugged in, then try again.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

https://www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

also try to remove all other stuff that is connected to the stk to make sure that it is not interfering somehow.

Thanks for the replies :)
I did not think about the regulation issue, I just assumed. I will check that out. However, it was working perfect the first day. I will try a diff wall-wart though and see if thats the issue. I will also try disconnecting.

Thanks, I'll keep you updated.

Twist.

JohanEkdahl was right, I tried a different wall-wart, and the board has been a happy stk500! Thanks for the help guys. I posted a solve so that people with the same problems can find a solution.