Help! I can't upgrade my STK500 of years ago!

Go To Last Post
3 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

Automatic upgrade doesn't seem to work. Although I did get a cryptic "Loaded plugin STK500," but I don't know why.

According to the manual, I can do a manual upgrade of the STK500 firmware by running AVR Prog in the Tools menu. Doing this causes a window to pop up that says

"No supported board found!"
"AVRprog version 1.40"

Does anyone out there know what I can do? Is this a problem with my serial port? I don't have any yellow exclamation points in Device Manager, but I'm still suspecting a driver issue, as the serial port uses nm9820cv but the driver says it's 9835.

Does anyone know anything about testing the serial port to see if it works?

Ok, I think I got it upgraded now, but I never could get that AVR Prog program past the error window.

Here's what I did:

Tools/Program AVR/Connect...

This caused a window to pop up that told me that the STK500 was detected but that it had firmware v1.0 and that this version of Studio needed v2.0. It then asked if I'd like to upgrade to 2.0, and I responded in the affirmative. From there it showed a progress bar as it did the upgrade, and then it verified the upgrade. After this it had me cycle the power on the STK500.

The evidence of trying to program a device and getting at least the option of a 644p device causes me to think I have been upgraded now, as the 644p didn't exist back when. However, with the problems I've had I'm still suspicious of my STK500, at least until I can program a device and all is well.

Incidentally, before all this, I decided to swap my serial card to the another PCI slot in my machine. This caused another driver to be installed! Yeah, instead of getting the oddball number mentioned earlier I got MosChip. Hence, perhaps my real problem (aside from the AVR Prog option not working) was the PCI slot?? Something caused this other driver to show up, so something changed somewhere.

Once I know the upgrade went ok (even though AVRStudio 4.13 said it did) and I get a device programmed, I'll come back to this thread and edit the title as [solved].

Just the same, if anyone out there has been through this before and any of it rings a bell, please let me know. It's been a long time since I used this STK500, and I'd really like to know everything is still good to go. Thanks.

Since, IIRC, the last time you used the STK500 was under Studio 3.56 there may have been some problems with the upgrade. Looks like you have it sorted, just remember to set the ISP frequency to 125KHz for safe programming of pretty much all chips. (and WRITE it)

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly