Help fixing AVRISP, it has broken AT90LS8535

Go To Last Post
5 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

OK, so I borrowed my AVRISP to a friend and he bricked it. I am unsure if it suffered some overvoltage through ISP or did it die during upgrading of the AVRISP firmware itself (damn AVR studio suggests it and firmware programming must be performed with NO other activity on ISP connector but power).

Anyway, my debugging reveals the AT90S1200-4SC inside is working and would gladly talk to the AT90LS8535-4AC next to it, but it won't respond back anything on MISO pin. So manual firmware upgrade is performed but nobody reacts to it.

Has anyone had the same problem with AVRISP?

It seems this part is long gone from Farnell or Elfa, can anyone point me to a drop-in replacement? It seems that the ATMEGA8535L would be nearest, and it even has a 8535 compatibility fuse that would have to be turned on before soldering it in. The voltage range is just 2.7V-5.5V instead of 2.7V-6.0V.

Purchasing the MEGA8535L would cost a bit over 6 euros + VAT, so is it pointless to try to fix this, new AVRISP2 would be like ~30 euros + VAT.

The newer isp tool is much improved over the original and will work with many new devices. It might not be pointless to try and fix your old one, but buying the newer one will future proof your tool box.

Try doing the manual upgrade. Search the site for DN10

as suggested, perhaps better buy a ISP mkII as it can do the modern chips and is supported.
I even wonder if the newer studio versions still support the older ISP. you could try to install an ancient version of the studio and see if the ISP perhaps then can be re-programmed.....

or if you know someone with a programmer, ask for some help and check if the chip is really dead, or just lost its program and thus is no longer talking. although from the head the first avr(that still works) is used to program the second one through ISP....

digitool wrote:
Try doing the manual upgrade. Search the site for DN10

In my first post I already said it does not work.

I think you are right that I should toss this and spend the microcontroller price to the ISP mkII.

It may prove difficult to replace the dead LS8535 with Mega8535, as they have different device signature, and besides the Mega8535 fuses would have to be set into compatibility mode before soldering it on board.