having problems with ponyprog and mega163

Go To Last Post
15 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I dunno if its just windows XP, or my parallel port, or what it is.

I built the gadget with 74HC244 for ponyprog, and im having problems, pony prog fails to recognize the device, and fails to function.

if i reboot windows, and leave my device unplugged, if i immidately hit program right after i plug in my device, it will program the Mega163. but the device only functions for programming for maybe as long as it takes to program it. sometimes it quits before it gets programmed, saying program failed.

But after i fight with it and get the program onto the Mega, the program for the device works just fine. the mega works. I tried changing chips, got nowhere.

is it my parallel port? or. dunno. I might try a laptop with win98 see if that would work. I dont know.

mayb is ur cable length.....try shorten it..

I built several '244 -based devices that I've been using with PonyProg for more years than I care to remember, and never a problem. I run win2k. NT used to be a hassle, and I've never felt the need to go to XP. Where did you get the circuit from? There's several things you need to get right on your target board e.g. PonyProg has to be able to drive /RESET, so you don't want a low-impedance pullup there. Also, you need to isolate your serial port RX data receiver on your target. You also want alternate conductors connected to ground in your cable. As wakaka says, don't have it too long, although I use 1.5m all the time.

Hmmm... I'm using Mega128 's all the time, but I guess the '163 is pretty much the same for programming. I'd better check the datasheet before I run off at the mouth any more...

Roger

Lots of prior knowledge about 74HC244 based programmers here:

https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

Uh, I knew I should have checked first - the '163 uses MOSI/MISO/SCK. Oh well, similar considerations apply, Ponyprog needs to be able to read back from the MISO pin. If you have any other devices on your target board that are driving into MISO, you need to be sure they are isolated in some way; tri-stated, or something.

Roger

I found the problem. everytime the ponyprog tried to program or check, or anything about the device, I noticed the power supply would crap out every time. explains why it wouldnt program after the first try.

I had a 1K pullup on reset, it was pulling it low, and the 1k impedence shut down the power supply. (low watt supply).

i replaced the resistor with 100k, what do you know, it programed. finally, some life!!!!!

here is my project. I still havent figured out what to do with it yet, but it works!! im not finished with the command handler though.

im gonna have it emulate the noritake T23A command set, and use a winamp plugin written for it, so i can display the spectrum and song info on the display.

Attachment(s): 

Wow, clawson, lots of folklore there, plus a few solid facts. I'd forgotten that I'd put the 1k 's in the cable (all three signals), it was that long ago. No caps, though, it's just reflections that you need to kill. It's a good read for new and old.

One pet peeve of mine concerns the warnings about turning everything off each time you want to connect or disconnect the programmer.... well-intentioned to be sure, but you'd never get any work done! My computers stay on 24/7, and the target systems only ever get power removed when something has to be done to them. In the many, many thousands of programming cycles that I have done ever since the words ISP were first whispered I have never had a PC, target system, dongle or any other component fail because of hot programming connects/disconnects. As soon as you limit the current with those 1k resistors, 5V isn't going to hurt anything. ESD will kill your gear much more often, and even then just a few simple precautions will keep you safe.

Naturally, all this applies only to the programming dongle - the target system boards *never* get hot-swapped (they're not designed to be). And until newbies get a couple of years experience under their belt, they need to be reasonably careful about what they do.

But you'll break more PCs by switching them on and off all the time than by plugging/unplugging a '244 programming dongle with resistors in the signal lines (barring actual cross-connected power, ground, etc).

Roger

Hey, good work mbates14. It's actually quite an accomplishment to get that working on one of those breadboards - the capacitance and cross-talk is a killer for any high-frequency work on them.

Well done.

Roger

laserman wrote:
Hey, good work mbates14. It's actually quite an accomplishment to get that working on one of those breadboards - the capacitance and cross-talk is a killer for any high-frequency work on them.

Well done.

Roger

Did i mention I built an FM stereo transmitter on one of these breadboards? talk about virtual capacitance and crosstalk.

but hell, I was able to get over a mile of range with no interference, or sideband splatter with it :)

I need to find a good filiment driver circuit though. Im using a port pin off the atmel, if you noticed in the picture, as a clock pulse to drive the NPN power transistor for the filiment. it minimized the brightness shift alot, as from standard DC, but the transistor gets hotter than a firecracker. LOL

here is the source that I wrote if anyone wants to screw around with it for thier alpha-numeric projects.

this one uses the UCN5812 HV shift registers. im using a shift register for the bargraph segments, one for the alphanumeric segments, and one for the grids.

take a peek at the code, comments, complements, suggestions are welcome as im farely new to atmel coding, but been into the 6805 for a LONG time.

Edit: the command handler for parallel loading isnt completed, i just wrote a simple routine at the top to see if the display would scan properly. (it did) :)

it seems i took this thread a bit off-topic, so if the mods would like to correct this, its appriciated.

Attachment(s): 

in case if you wernt sure, you can get that exact same VFD display on ebay for about 8 bucks. the guy has about 130 of them left. :)

finally got the commandset done. works perfect first try. its only emulating a 1x24 display. i would like to get it to emulate a 2x12. 12 text 12 bars. but right now the command set treats it as a single line instead of double line. dunno how to proceed. but ill figure it out. here is my latest code with a pic of it goin.

doing 30 to 35 FPS according to the PC software im running, which is awsome framerate with a 4mhz clock speed. hell i didnt think i could get it that fast. LOL

Attachment(s): 

eh, ill go post this stuff in the academy forums. found out what those forums are for. LOL. so mods delete this thread, its kinda garbage.