Having one heck of a problem with JTAGICE mkII + ATMEGA8

Go To Last Post
12 posts / 0 new
Author
Message
#1
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Hi,

I am trying to use the JTAGICE mkii to program the ATMEGA8 via ISP.

AS61 recognizes the JTAGICE mkii programmer, but it can't or I can't set the voltage, which is stubbornly remains at 0.0V! Please see attached image.

Please help! Going crazy :x

My JTAGICE mkii info (with serial number not shown):

JTAGICE mkII
Debug host 127.0.0.1
Debug port 49182
Serial number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Connection com.atmel.avrdbg.connection.jungousb
Master Firmware Version 7.24
Slave Firmware Version 7.24
Master Hardware Version 0
Slave Hardware Version 1

My connection from the 10-pin connector to the ATMEGA8:

Numbers in parens are pin numbers of the JTAGICE mkii pins. What's the nTRST pin for, by the way? I use nSRST pin to connect to the ATMEGA8's RESET pin.

TCK (1) -> SCK (ATMEGA8 this side of this text)
GND (2) -> GND
TDO (3) -> MOSI
Vref (4) -> Vcc 5V from USB
TMS (5) -> NOT CONNECTED
nSRST (6) -> RESET pin
vSupply (7) -> Vcc 5V from USB
nTRST (8) -> NOT CONNECTED
TDI (9) -> MISO
GND (10) -> GND

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

oh crap! Sorry...Double post by mistake.

Admin, please delete this post. Thank you!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

I deleted the other one because this one had already an "answer" :-)

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:
but it can't or I can't set the voltage,
??? the target has to provide the voltage on pin 2 of the ISP header, the JTAG doesn't provide any power to the target.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

js wrote:
Quote:
but it can't or I can't set the voltage,
??? the target has to provide the voltage on pin 2 of the ISP header, the JTAG doesn't provide any power to the target.

First time using JTAGICE mkii. Have always been using the USBASP programmer.

You're saying that the USB cable connected from the computer to the JTAGICE is basically powering the JTAGICE itself? I have to provide another 5V power source to my ATMEGA8, and that same power would be powering the Vref and Vsupply pins of the JTAGICE 10-pin programming connector?

Thanks!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

unebonnevie wrote:
js wrote:
Quote:
but it can't or I can't set the voltage,
??? the target has to provide the voltage on pin 2 of the ISP header, the JTAG doesn't provide any power to the target.

First time using JTAGICE mkii. Have always been using the USBASP programmer.

You're saying that the USB cable connected from the computer to the JTAGICE is basically powering the JTAGICE itself? I have to provide another 5V power source to my ATMEGA8, and that same power would be powering the Vref and Vsupply pins of the JTAGICE 10-pin programming connector?

Thanks!

Atmel's user guide does not have good pictures. Found http://www.mikrocontroller.net/a... to be helpful, at least with the pinout. And I got MOSI/MISO in reversed! TDI -> target's MOSI NOT MISO.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

If you own a USBASP, you might just as well use it !

The ATmega8 does not have JTAG or debugWIRE.
So there is little point in using a JTAGICE-mkII.

The USBASP can supply power and has a robust 10-way ribbon cable.
The JTAGICE-mkII needs the board to be be self-powered and has delicate ribbon / ISP adapter.

David.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

david.prentice wrote:
If you own a USBASP, you might just as well use it !

The ATmega8 does not have JTAG or debugWIRE.
So there is little point in using a JTAGICE-mkII.

The USBASP can supply power and has a robust 10-way ribbon cable.
The JTAGICE-mkII needs the board to be be self-powered and has delicate ribbon / ISP adapter.

David.

Ok, provided my target, the ATMEGA8, a 5V from another USB cable. That works. See picture.

I wanted to experience AS61, which is seriously lousy, because it's very slow, and to also experience JTAGICE mkii, which is EXPENSIVE and not as nice as USBASP.

AS61 by default programs the .elf file rather than the .hex file that I am used to with USBASP.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:
AS61, which is seriously lousy, because it's very slow,
Fully agree. :wink:
Quote:
also experience JTAGICE mkii, which is EXPENSIVE and not as nice as USBASP.
Fully disagree, it's expensive, or at least it was, now an ICE is only about $50.

You cannot compare a JTAGICE mkii with a USBASP, they are different like a water melon and a grape. The later are both fruits but they are not the same.

Getting a JTAGICE of any kind for programming only is simply a waste of money, a simple programmer will suffice.

HOWEVER for DEBUGGING you must have a JTAGICE. I never start a project without a debugger being attached to my target board. For programming I use an AVR ISP Mk1 which still works well under AS4.18 which is not about to be replaced by the other monster.

John Samperi

Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.

www.ampertronics.com.au

* Electronic Design * Custom Products * Contract Assembly

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:

and to also experience JTAGICE mkii, which is EXPENSIVE and not as nice as USBASP.

But what do you gain by using it for PROGRAMMING only? The "clever" thing a ICEmkII does is DEBUGGING. Throw away your crap old mega8 and get yourself a mega88 instead then you can use the ICEmkII to debug it over the debugWire interface. It transforms program development.

(having said that ICEmkII is not good value for money - it's been put out to pasture by Atmel - the Atmel-ICE is a far better solution - if only they'd fix its connectors!).

PS Sorry I should have read John's post first - so basically we agree ;-)

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

clawson wrote:
Throw away your crap old mega8 and get yourself a mega88 instead then you can use the ICEmkII to debug it over the debugWire interface. It transforms program development.

Easy there, Mr. Yes, I know, but I happen to like the ATMEGA8 as well. :D

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Total votes: 0

Quote:

but I happen to like the ATMEGA8 as well.

I predict you'll like a mega88PA even more - tons of new "goodies" to play with in a pin compatible package to the mega8. debugWire is just one of many new features that were added in the 5..6 years between mega8 and mega88.