Genius g540 programmer new drivers?

Go To Last Post
8 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I've bought the genius g540 programmer on ebay a while ago, and I used it to program mostly atmega168 devices. Now I am working on a project with the atmega164. I've bought the 40-pin dip behemot explicitly because I thought I could program it with the g540. However it seems like the g540 is too old and doesn't support it.

Anyone knows if there are any new drivers for this device?

Pavel

Surely the mega164 and mega168 were born at about the same time?

I would guess that you could sell your g540 on eBay for $64 or so.
Then buy 16 Chinese usbasp boards for $3.99 each.

It must be a lot easier to use an ISP programmer rather than remove, insert, remove and insert a chip every time you want to change firmware.

David.

Yeah well, that's actually my plan for the future. Thing is, I need to get this chip programmed and tested by Wednesday.
I've done more search and it doesn't seem like there was any progress done on the g540 for the last few years, so I doubt there are any new drivers available.
Anyway, I think I'll manage to work around that problem, it's just that it will require some extra work.

If you have an Arduino, you can use it to program your mega164. (with the ArduinoISP sketch)

David.

Thanks David, I am actually investigating that right now!

Pavel

That's the problem with buying after market hardware: you always seem to be replacing it with additional hardware.

I bought several programmers thinking I would save money, but after getting a jtag ice mkii, they've gone unused for a long time now.

I spent a lot of money for hardware that was supposed to have been inexpensive.

Yeah well, I still think I got its worth out of the g540. Even tho it is not as user-friendly as other parallel programmers, back in the days I was happy I could just plug the chip in the socket and program right away. It can be quite challenging to start programming micro-controllers, especially when your blink program doesn't work and you have no idea where you messed up in the 10 steps to take.

Pavel

Ok, so after some work I've got my icsp arduino programmer working for the atmega164a.

@david
Is there anything particular I should lookout for when buying an usbasp?

Pavel