GCC quit Twice!

Go To Last Post
11 posts / 0 new
Author
Total votes: 0

I have a small avr kit and was using the gcc for programming. I'm aware the 2010 release didn't compile or something. The gcc "was" working fine last Friday and on Saturday they quit on "both" of my xp's. Was there an update? I have no other way to program. Could I be notified when it's fixed? thx

Grant

Quote:

they quit on "both" of my xp's.

What does "quit" mean in this context?

The issues with the first issue of WinAVR20100110 were:

1) avrdude had problems over 0x10000
2) avrdude was not built with libusb support
3) the library objects/libs where not "avr-strip -g'd"

None of these things would explain something that did work and suddenly "quit" (not that anyone but you knows what "quit" actually means of course!)

The issues with the first issue of WinAVR20100110 were:

By this do you mean it's fixed?

Quit simply means stopped recognizing the usbasp. I had the same error on my desktop. And it was blind.

Grant

Attachment(s): 

Why did you open yet another thread? You have a thread "The gcc just quit working!!", "GCC broken!" and now this "GCC quit Twice!"

Stop that nasty habit of opening thread after thread (and stop that nasty habit of adding exclamation marks to each tread title). You aren't that important.

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

What's with you guy's? You'ld rather ask questions and give people shit!! than answer.Can somebody just answer the dam question!! IS IT FIXED? "and" WHY DID "BOTH" MACHINES NOT RECOGNIZE USBASP? I never installed the an update that i was aware of.

Are you using the latest version of WinAVR?
There is known problem with that version and USB support.

See this thread for more details...
https://www.avrfreaks.net/index.p...

Grant,

We're grumpy because you've opened a million threads on the same issue, given incomplete information (several times) and haven't listened to what people have posted.

If you have not updated your buildchain and tools the problem is not in WinAVR, it is in your OS -- perhaps an update to Windows you have installed. Also note that exactly zero screenshots you have posted have anything to do at all with AVR-GCC the compiler, and have been variously about python, make and avrdude.

So far your latest screenshots point to you either renaming/deleting referenced files from the makefile script, or you breaking the makefile script with incorrect changes.

- Dean :twisted:

Make Atmel Studio better with my free extensions. Open source and feedback welcome!

What's with these guys is that they don't like the habit of posting about the same question/issue in several threads. It creates noise. It potentially eastes peoples time.

Stay in one thread with questions regarding a specific thing, and not only will we be more content, but you will probably get a good answer in a shorter time.

As for the screen-shots above, they seem to display two totally different problems:

The first one, as Dean has pointed to, seems to be about the makefile being tampered with. Or the files being renamed and/or moved but the makefile not updated to reflect this. Or some such. A statement of the names of all files involved, including an un-ambigous statement of their paths, along with the makefile attached to the post might help people here helping you.

The second one shows all the signs of being from a WinAVR-20100110 installation where USB support is broken. See the thread that atomicdog pointed to for something to compare with.

For this second problem, let's get one simple fact on the table:

Tell us what version of WinAVR you have installed.

Getting this fact is probably best done through the control panel of Windows. From there, where to go next depends on Windows version (W2K and XP "Add/Remove Programs". Vista, and perhaps Windows 7, "Programs and Features"). You will find an item whose name starts with "WinAVR" and is followed by a date (8 digits). Tell us those digits.

If you are uncomfortable with the Control Panel then open a Windows explorer and locate a folder in the root of your hard disk with a name starting with "WinAVR". In the same manner, it is followed by a date. Tell us that.

Here's some advice: Loose the bad language. We can take, occasionally, that someone throws bad language at hardware. But throwing bad language at AVRfreaks members will soon make you "paria" here. You've come here with some less than stellar manouvres (cross posting, unfocused and confused posts). We can clearly see that you need and want help. We just can't give it as we don't have enough facts. If your problem so frustrates you that you need to throw bad language, then go do that somewhere else. The AVR community can do quite well without you. The first question you need to ask yourself is if the opposite holds.

Now, let's determine that WinAVR version, OK?

As of January 15, 2018, Site fix-up work has begun! Now do your part and report any bugs or deficiencies here

No guarantees, but if we don't report problems they won't get much of  a chance to be fixed! Details/discussions at link given just above.

"Some questions have no answers."[C Baird] "There comes a point where the spoon-feeding has to stop and the independent thinking has to start." [C Lawson] "There are always ways to disagree, without being disagreeable."[E Weddington] "Words represent concepts. Use the wrong words, communicate the wrong concept." [J Morin] "Persistence only goes so far if you set yourself up for failure." [Kartman]

Last Edited: Sun. Jan 24, 2010 - 10:33 AM

gdonald2007 wrote:
What's with you guy's? You'ld rather ask questions and give people shit!! than answer.Can somebody just answer the dam question!! IS IT FIXED? "and" WHY DID "BOTH" MACHINES NOT RECOGNIZE USBASP? I never installed the an update that i was aware of.
If you look for servants, if you think you are entitled, please look elsewhere. For example, if you need reliable, time-boxed answers from someone you can push around, then I'd suggest you hire a consultant.

Stealing Proteus doesn't make you an engineer.

Ok? Good enough, next time.

Quote:

As a semi-innocent bystander, I've been reviewing the thread(s) with interest, as I've never known my toolchain of choice to have up and quit on me. :twisted:

But anyway, getting to "is it fixed": Is what fixed? GCC? What would there be to fix in GCC, when the panels and detail you have posted show Programmer's Notepad, and USBASP, and avrdude. What do those have to do with a compiler "quitting"? (I guess I'm getting too old to learn the nuances of modern software development.)

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

I've never met a pig I didn't like, as long as you have some salt and pepper.